30 - 06 VS. 7.62 x 51mm NATO.

A .308 is just fine. Without a reloader, 338 Fed would get kinda spendy for bench shhoting. And a .308 is a damn fine deer rifle so they heavier bullet and extra energy isnt needed.
I think the limit for "large round" for me will be a .375 H&H honestly. I want at least one big "fuck you" safari rifle just to say I have it.

Hi I am not a gun owner but I am interested about fire arms.

Is the 7.62 x 51 NATO as powerfull as the 30 - 06 since the US switched from the 30 - 06 to the shorter 7.62 x 51 I am wondering if they have the same power or the Military changed its doctrine and just opt for a lesser power smaller cartridge like the concept behind the itermediate cartridge less power but more volume
As an owner of three guns of each caliber (.308 and 30-06) I can attest that the 30-06 has a little more pop.

.308 is one of my top 3 favorite rounds. The ballistics on it are great, it has manageable recoil, it's easy to reload, and military surplus ammo can be found fairly easy/cheap.

Don't be fooled though, the .308 can still do some damage (a proper round will easily drop a 600lb elk inside 200 yards)

As an owner of three guns of each caliber (.308 and 30-06) I can attest that the 30-06 has a little more pop.

.308 is one of my top 3 favorite rounds. The ballistics on it are great, it has manageable recoil, it's easy to reload, and military surplus ammo can be found fairly easy/cheap.

Don't be fooled though, the .308 can still do some damage (a proper round will easily drop a 600lb elk inside 200 yards)

I wish I can have the chance to own Military grade rifles or even Machine guns.

I have fired some .308s before from an M60 and M14s but I never a springfield .30 would love to try the BAR..

I wish I can have the chance to own Military grade rifles or even Machine guns.
Two of my .308 guns are military grade (MAS 49 and FN 49). Great guns (would love to get a springfield M1A )

I'd love to get a Dragunov but they are so damn expensive now

I'd love to get a Dragunov but they are so damn expensive now

Motherfucker you're right!

I remember when those junky clunky fucking shit can clatter-boxes were around $500 and that was too much then.

Uh, err, so no offense but why did you want one of those? Looks cool?

Motherfucker you're right!

I remember when those junky clunky fucking shit can clatter-boxes were around $500 and that was too much then.

Uh, err, so no offense but why did you want one of those? Looks cool?
Yeah, I love the AK design and I wanted one that shot the larger round. I have a Romanian WASR AK47 now and I love it... paid only $365 for it a little over ten years ago. This back when the Dragunov was about $500.

Yeah, I love the AK design and I wanted one that shot the larger round. I have a Romanian WASR AK47 now and I love it... paid only $365 for it a little over ten years ago. This back when the Dragunov was about $500.
you know Dragunov's arent based on the AK design at all right? it has cosmetic similarities like the safety lever, but thats like saying the SCAR is an AR-15 platform because they both have rails.

you know Dragunov's arent based on the AK design at all right? it has cosmetic similarities like the safety lever, but thats like saying the SCAR is an AR-15 platform because they both have rails.

Don't give him too much shit. Even moderately educated firearm hobbists make that mistake.

Same caliber of round, both Russian made, designed in the same era, named after their designer, and asthetically similar.

308/7.62x51 is the better round overall for 99% of cases

308/7.62x51 is the better round overall for 99% of cases
And why is that?

If you say it shoots flatter than 30-06 I am going to laugh my ass off and never take anything you say seriously.

And why is that?

If you say it shoots flatter than 30-06 I am going to laugh my ass off and never take anything you say seriously.

hahah no Im not going to say that, I just mean for practical purposes it can do most everything a 30-06 can just as well but its much lighter, cheaper, & more common.

nice av btw

hahah no Im not going to say that, I just mean for practical purposes it can do most everything a 30-06 can just as well but its much lighter, cheaper, & more common.

nice av btw
Fair enough. I feel like the .308 Win is popular/common now because of the rise of the M1A. 30-06 has been around for over 100 years for a reason and I think it will stay popular.

And thanks on the av.

Back