It doesn't cast any shadow over MM though. His fights are awesome, and he's a great champ for that divison. If people aren't tuning in, so be it. Sucks for them!

It doesn't cast any shadow over MM though. His fights are awesome, and he's a great champ for that divison. If people aren't tuning in, so be it. Sucks for them!

Dana pls

95000 buys at $50 (I'm not from the US so it's an estimate) equals 4.75 millions, plus live gate plus international buys, I think that covers cost of the fighters and events.

Right? Mighty Mouse may be talented, best in the world, blah blah, but even in a one sided victory he is BORING. Hell even when he knocked out Joe B. he looked like he didn't really mean to. Keep the man on free cards and away from PPV!

I'll never understand Dana's obsession with these tiny men. Furthermore, it's only a matter of time before a men's atomweight division is introduced.

Right? Mighty Mouse may be talented, best in the world, blah blah, but even in a one sided victory he is BORING. Hell even when he knocked out Joe B. he looked like he didn't really mean to. Keep the man on free cards and away from PPV!

It's not just the excitement factor. It's the fact that nobody cares who the best 125 pound male fighter is.

I think a lot of people just don't feel that suspense and that gravity during his fights.

The 'anything can happen' element of MMA is one of its strongest selling-points. Even if Johnson gets a finish, many people will continue to see his fights and fighting style as very predictable and inconsequential—inconsequential in that it's far and away the more likely scenario that he goes to a decision using footwork and measured half-powered strikes, and while the win is important there's just not a lot of consequence to winning how he often wins when looking at his fight as a fight as opposed to a sporting contest.

Him being seen as the archetype for the stereotypical flyweight does not help, either. A lot of people watch the UFC because they don't have time to invest in smaller organizations and their up and coming fighters, and this thought process leads many UFC-only fans to categorize lesser-known divisions in the shape and form of their champion because he is the most visible and talked about fighter in the division. There is also a notion, correct or not, that boxing is more decision-based than it used to be; and this coincides with an obvious emphasis on smaller fighters as opposed to the heavyweights that enjoyed the marquee throughout the 80's, 90's, and early 00's. So while the flyweight finish rate may not be as low as many would think, there is the inherited conception that smaller fighters are much more prone to point-fighting.

And this belief and concern is seen to be reinforced in every way by Demetrious Johnson. And it's not fair. I personally don't enjoy Johnson's fights. I'm not buying them. Depending on who he's fighting even on free TV, I'm not sure I'll even watch him on a FOX card. And that's fine because with so many fights and divisions preference is to expected in this age of the UFC. But there are plenty of 125ers who I find to be entertaining, and though it's not his fault, I think they are put down as and mistook for caution point-fighters, midgets, gnats, and whatever else, because their standard-bearer coincidentally backs up these misconceptions which are largely based on ignorance resulting from it being a relatively new division and everything else.

No way am I paying full price to see half-size people fight. It's just not good value for money.

At least it wasn't under 100k like everyone was saying a few weeks back.

They did the best they could with all the sidelined champs and cards to fill.

I'm fine with the cards now, I don't think they're as watered down as Sherdog thinks. BUT the roster and events are stretched to the limit. Injuries happen, the UFC needs to eliminate just 1 or 2 big cards a year, to save big events from shit like this.

Like i said, if no one ever was hurt we'd never see cards like this, but injuries happen and the UFC needs to take that into account.

UFC never expected this to do huge buys and it wasn't an outlandishly expensive card nor was it heavily marketed.

it was pretty shitty (I actually liked the main card, but I know that the public didn't). the UFC took a shot. MM was red-hot with two finishes, his last being a violent one punch KO (a few extra punches, I guess). they struck while the iron was hot, and they learned a lesson. that lesson: NOT YET.

And this after 3 straight stints headlining the FOX cards. This dude's had more mainstream exposure in terms of fighting in the bright lights of the biggest free cards than really anyone in the company.

Not very many people like to watch Demetrious Johnson fight. Something about him is anti-entertaining. It just is. The numbers are obvious as can be.

Some of the 125ers put on some great fights and have great characters and whatnot, and there are talented dudes there who come to fight, but as long as Johnson's the champion I see that division struggling to matter.

Yup, his nickname should be the "Money Pit". UFC invested a lot into him. If they would have just taken our advice, they could have saved themselves some trouble.

the_money_pit.jpg

But P4P, that's not that bad.

Fucking zing!

In all seriousness though the UFC WOULD BE KILLIN IT if they made ppv's "pay by the pound".

Your HW fight bombs? That's okay because they made a ton of $$$ off each buy. The little guys would sell a huge amount if the cards were like $9.99.

And all in attendance get churros.

And this after 3 straight stints headlining the FOX cards. This dude's had more mainstream exposure in terms of fighting in the bright lights of the biggest free cards than really anyone in the company.

Not very many people like to watch Demetrious Johnson fight. Something about him is anti-entertaining. It just is. The numbers are obvious as can be.

Some of the 125ers put on some great fights and have great characters and whatnot, and there are talented dudes there who come to fight, but as long as Johnson's the champion I see that division struggling to matter.

I'd much rather see Dodson, Uncle Creepy or Benevidaz as champion of that division. Like you, I also think Demetrious Johnson as champ is more the problem when it comes to drawing fans then the actual weight class. If 125 had a more charismatic champion people would probably appreciate the division more.

I completely concur. I am not knocking Johnson's effectiveness as a fighter, but I am not interested in watching the man fight. I cannot put my finger on the reason. I have nothing against the smaller weight classes.

Back