24 oz boxing gloves and how practical/unpractical they can be

Passion Crime

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was delightfully surprised to find out someone still makes them

Cage to Ring has the choice of 24 oz on the boxing gloves and currently there is a good sale in MMAHQ (quickly turning into my new addiction to find out the new daily deal)

Anyone with a clue of how practical is to wear 24 oz? i had heard in the past about how it could generate bad habits (such as bringing your hands down) so i am wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of training.

i usually have only wore 16 oz so any input would be appreciated.

Very impractical

I can't see why you would need above 18oz at max

:eek:

boxing2.jpg

I had a pair of 18oz ringside Gel training gloves for awhile. They are good if you want two small shields to protect your head and have your punches parried/blocked easy.

They also provide extra weight to get work your muscles more, however, the benefit of this is vigorously debated in kinesiology (i.e., if it retards technique).

just posted in your other topic:

I have 20oz gloves I only ever use when doing cardio drills on the bag [thanks ToneC!]. I wouldnt use them for anything more technical

I dont think using heavier gloves gives you an advantage outside of muscle endurance, and the primary purpose of sparring/bagwork/padwork is not related to muscle endurance. There's a reason why most top guys use 10s or 12s for mitts/bags. That said, Andre Berto trains with 20oz, and Joe Calzaghe used to do most of his work with 20oz gloves too.

You guys are making quite much sense into this, i think i am gonna stick around my 16's the Cons of much heavier gloves seems to be overwhelming when i can always work endurance with other drills, also it doesn't seem like this will for certain improve punch power.

You guys are making quite much sense into this, i think i am gonna stick around my 16's the Cons of much heavier gloves seems to be overwhelming when i can always work endurance with other drills, also it doesn't seem like this will for certain improve punch power.

You can always attach wrist weights to your gloves if you want to increase the weight, I saw a 1lb pair at Ross for 2$ the other day.

You can always attach wrist weights to your gloves if you want to increase the weight, I saw a 1lb pair at Ross for 2$ the other day.

Or you could get gloves where there are designed slots for weights too and its even more convenient that way (although a bit more expensive) :p

Or you could get gloves where there are designed slots for weights too and its even more convenient that way (although a bit more expensive) :p

I used to think that adding weight to your gloves would improve punching power, however, I no longer believe this. I will explain the evolution of my weighted glove training for those interested:

Note: none of these should be used for sparing/partner drills that do not involve hitting pads/bags/bag.

I started with weighted gloves.
Pros:
  • easy weight change
  • easy to put gloves and weights on
Cons:
  • poor wrist support
  • price (~$50)

I returned the gloves and bought wrist weights.
Pros:
  • cheap <$5 dollars
  • no need to buy new gloves
  • wrist support is determined by your gloves (which is better than weighted bag gloves)

Cons:
  • adjustments steps are large, 1lb, 2lb, 2.5lb, 3lb...
  • need to buy multiple weight sets
  • hard to put on alone
  • sometimes they slide off the wrist and onto the forearm

The last thing I tried was taping different sizes of chain around my wrist like a bracelet.
Pros:
  • cheap
  • can have very small weight increments (i.e., single ounces)
  • wrist support is determined by your gloves (which is better than weighted bag gloves)

Cons:
  • need someone to tape them on your wrist
  • can leave small dimples on the leather

The Ring to Cage 18 oz gloves are the size of normal 16 oz gloves. Just densely packed foam. Hard as hell.

I couldn't imagine you needing them unless you're Brock Lesnar or Alistair Overeem.

I fight middleweight and use 24 ounce weighted gloves for 3 rounds before sparring with 16's use the weighted gloves for 3 round dont be a whiner.. and try for speed mixed with overhands and shoeshines (uppercut both hands) while keeping your form<---- [This Is VITAL] closing your fists upon impact.. try it.. though don't be a whimp and quit before the 3 rounds.. then put your 16's on ONLY after the ENTIRE three rounds STRAIGHT.. start your 4th round with the 16s.. You're Welcome...

I spar with 18oz or 20oz gloves. I'm 57 and weigh 178lbs and used to fight as an amateur at 165 (middleweight) I am not talented enough for me to worry about my punches getting through or getting parried. It's sparring not a fight. I was taught when I was very young that sparring has never been about winning the session. I never learn anything beating up on a novice sparring partner. I try to spar up above my ability. Younger, stronger faster partners can teach me about my flaws. It about utilizing tactics and perfecting technique. BTW, If you've ever seen me spar, you'd say to yourself, "I see why he'd think that".

Back