2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Why start this? Why not. I listen to music every day, without fail. I'll choose a song each day and point out its significance, and why I picked this particular song. I promise, it will get weird. You will likely hate some of the songs posted, and you may have never heard of some or many of these as well.

This is different from a "what are you listening to right now" thread because only one song will be chosen each day, and it very well may not have been the best song I heard that day. I might have heard the song earlier in the day but it stuck with me and I thought about it later. It might not even be a good song. We'll see what happens.

Starting the new year on January 1st, 2018, let's go with this one.

Band: Sweet Spirit
Song: The Power
Release Date: 2017
Why: It was Ashlee Evans-Smith's walkout song for her fight against Sarah Moras at UFC 215 last year. It's pretty darn catchy. The video is strange too. It was used in a Samsung commercial last year, I think.

This one took a little while longer to determine, because I had a good one but it didn't feel right. This one did.

Band: Electric Six
Song: Show Me What Your Lights Mean
Release Year: 2013
Why: Electric Six may be the best or most entertaining band no one has ever heard of. Their combination of rock, dance, punk, funk, new wave, and comedy is almost as unparalleled as their work ethic. They have released two albums each year for the past three years, and other than 2004 and 2012, they have released an album every year since 2003.

This song, as explained by the lead singer at a show a few years ago: "It is the story of a Friday night football game in West, Texas--Odessa, TX. And from out of nowhere... a fifty foot woman from outer space comes and vaporizes the coaches and the players and the rapists... Using her eyes. She converts the cheerleader squad into a lesbian squadron. And all this is told from the perspective of the waterboy."

Instead of going with the original version, this particular version is my song of the day for January 3rd.

Band: Kiss
Song: Rock and Roll All Nite (MTV Unplugged)
Release Year: 1996
Why: Kiss has always been one of those bands that most people either love or hate. I love them. This particular performance was on that MTV Unplugged show, sans makeup, that aired in the 90s. The show released a ton of huge albums by bands/artists including Clapton, Nirvana, and Alice in Chains. I heard they tried to revive it a few years ago and it sounded like a disaster, but that's probably because they didn't get great people on it. Who cares if Adam Lambert or Miley Cyrus is/was on it? Those people wouldn't get the original fans of MTV Unplugged to tune back in, and new music fans these days barely even know what unplugged means.

Band: Muse
Song: Hysteria
Release Year: 2003
Why: Can you believe that in a few short months, this song will be fifteen years old? I'd easily give this track best bass line of the year, probably even up there for the best of the decade. Do you remember (I member) when music videos had actual legitimate actors in them, and not just as gratuitous cameos? This one had Justin Theroux in it.

Band/Artist: Johnny Cash
Song: Cry, Cry, Cry
Release Year: 1955
Why: There's something that always drew me to Johnny Cash's music. I was never a fan of country, especially pop country, but this is just something else for me entirely. I think of some of the music I listen to these days, insanely complicated and put together by complex mathematics, and then I listen to a song like this and it takes me to a seemingly much simpler time, where all you needed was a guitar, a couple sticks to tap on stuff in the background, and a good voice. For my money, I'd rather listen to Johnny Cash than his touring partner Elvis any day.

Band: George Thorogood & The Destroyers
Song: Move It On Over
Release Year: 1978
Why: I prefer Lonely George's cover of this to the original, as blasphemous as that may seem. Some people may not realize that a few of George Thorogood & The Destroyers's biggest songs, like this one and "Who Do You Love?" are actually cover songs of 50s early rock and roll pioneers like Hank Williams and Bo Diddley. George and his gang took those old blues, rock and roll, and country songs and turned them into something else entirely, and we still hear his versions of those songs on heavy rotation on classic rock stations today.

Band: The Sneepers ft. Davis Hasselhoff
Song: Guardians Inferno
Release Year: 2017
Why: Have you seen this? Did you like Guardians of the Galaxy 1 or 2? Do you like disco? If so, just watch this. No other explanation needed.

Band: Bob Marley & The Wailers
Song: Survival
Release Date: 1979
Why: A significant departure from his earlier easy going music, Bob Marley's album, Survival, had a political message urging people to stick together in order to, well, survive. I grew up listening to Reggae and Calypso, so even if the lyrics didn't mean much to me at that age, the sound stuck with me to this day. 39 years after this song came out, its message is still very relevant. Don't worry, I won't get any more political than this.

Band: The Shaggs
Song: Who Are Parents?
Release Year: 1969
Why, oh god why?: Worst band ever? Maybe. Proto-experimental punk insanity? Also maybe. Genius that we still can't quite comprehend to this day? Perhaps. According to people that played with Shaggs former frontwoman, Dot Wiggin, all of The Shaggs's music was written out and planned ahead of time. There are actually charts to songs from Philosophy of the World, like My Pal Foot Foot. They reunited in 2017 and played a short show in 2017 at the Solid Sound Festival, believe it or not.

Artist: Elton John
Song: Burn Down the Mission
Release Year: 1970
Why?: They just don't make music like this anymore, do they? Growing up, my dad had a nice vinyl collection, and we would often hear Tumbleweed Connection from cover to cover. Once we got to this song, the last one on the album, we knew the big finale was coming. The lyrics aren't about anything specific, and can be broadly interpreted depending on your own perspective, which is an art form of lyric writing that now seems all but forgotten. It's a beautiful and surprisingly complicated song, and I remember it fondly.

Band: Deep Purple
Song: Space Truckin'
Release Year: 1972
Why?: Featured heavily in the first episode of the glorious Ash vs Evil Dead series, so many great bands and artists have decided to cover this glorious song over the years, and only William Shatner ever hit the soul of this song on the head. Maiden did a serviceable job, Dream Theater tried, Tesla miss the boat, and so on. The original stands above. Is Deep Purple's "Machine Head" album a crucial album historically for the continued development of rock? Probably.

Band: Royksopp
Song: Remind Me
Release Year: 2001
Why?: Sometimes songs get poisoned by being used as a theme song, advertisement, or something else that sticks with you and is irritating when you hear it again and again. This song was taken (paid for, of course) by Geico for years in their commercials, so if you wonder why you've heard it before, that's probably why. The music video of sorts for this song was actually done around a remix of the song, but its video is fascinating. It is an animated breakdown of what actually goes into a random boring woman's life living and working in London. So, here is the original song, and the music video below it.

Original:

Remake with music video:

Band: Radiohead
Song: Everything In Its Right Place
Release Year: 2000
Why?: When thinking of the best albums of the 2000s, Kid A should be right at the top of that list, right? Well, what better than the album's opening track as the song of the day today? Abre los ojos.

It's a truncated version of the song in that video, but it'll have to do.

Band: The Ramones
Song: I Don't Wanna Go Down to the Basement
Release Year: 1976
Why?: Sometimes simple is good. Johnny didn't want to go down to the basement. There was something down there, so that's that. My aunt loathes her basement in her house, and has sung this song on a few occasions when she has to go down there to check something. I understand why, but there was nothing down there. I checked.

Band: Styx
Song: Too Much Time On My Hands
Release Year: 1981
Why?: This song is insanely catchy, and I've always had a thing for songs about time. Pink Floyd's "Time" is one of my all-time favorite songs, as is Porcupine Tree's "Time Flies". This might not be as good as those songs are, but it's almost as enjoyable to me and I can't help myself from turning the volume up if this song comes on.

Band: The Cranberries
Song: Zombie
Release Year: 1994
Why?: The world lost a wonderful voice in Dolores O'Riordan yesterday. Requiescat in pace.

Band: Hooverphonic
Song: Jackie Cane
Release Year: 2000
Why?: This song came out on The Magnificent Tree album, and the band took this one song and turned it into a concept album about a fictional singer named Jackie Cane two years later. In the story, Jackie Cane left her twin sister and family behind to become a superstar, and couldn't handle it and came home. Her sister, equally mad after being abandoned by her twin, killed them both when Jackie came home to reunite with her sister. Tragic stuff.

Band: The Police
Song: Every Breath You Take
Release Year: 1983
Why?: Woke up with this song in my head, and there's no doubt in my mind it will accompany me the whole time on my long, long drive today.

Band: Sneaker Pimps
Song: Spin Spin Sugar
Why?: A song from my early days of college, went through a lot of great memories of school this week.

Band: Sneaker Pimps
Song: Spin Spin Sugar
Why?: A song from my early days of college, went through a lot of great memories of school this week.

Good shit. I preferred Six Underground though.

Back