2018 Song of the Day - Day 50 - Kenny Loggins - Footloose | Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by jeicex, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: Dropkick Murphys
    Song: I'm Shipping Up to Boston
    Year: 2005
    Why?: That's what I did yesterday. This was supposed to be posted yesterday but I had no access to my computer so here it is now. Day 21 coming soon.

2. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: Tom Petty
    Song: I Won't Back Down
    Release Year: 1989
    Why?: Walking out to this song before his fight against the undefeated Shane Burgos this weekend, Calvin Kattar abstained from the expected "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" walkout we thought we would hear as a Bostonian. Kattar shocked everyone as a +190 underdog to knock out Burgos in the third, and pumped the crowd up with his song. We were finally able to cope with losing Tom Petty, and then the news came out recently that we lost him due to an accidental overdose and opened that wound up again. RIP Tom Petty all the same.

SenorFranko likes this.
  3. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Artist: John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra
    Song: Duel of the Fates
    Release Year: 1999
    Why?: Say what you want about the unholy prequel trilogy and Phantom in particular, at least this track came out of it. This was the only classical track to ever be featured on Total Request Live as far as I know, do you remember that show? It used to have great music on it in the mid-90s.

4. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: Max Rebo Band ft. Sy Snootles
    Song: Jedi Rocks
    Release Year: 1997
    WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?: Two Star Wars themed songs in a row, I know. Forcibly edited into new releases of Return of the Jedi, this song may be the worst thing that happened to the Star Wars universe, other than Greedo shooting first. So, here you go.

5. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: The Immortals
    Song: Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)
    Release Year: 1995
    Why?: Voted as walkout song of the year on here, beating "Fight to Survive" by Stan Bush from the Bloodsport soundtrack by ONE vote.

6. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: The Fall
    Song: Eat Y'self Fitter
    Release Year: 1983
    Why?: Mark Smith was a unique voice in music. After the punk wave had run its course, those displaced fans were starved to hear something new, and thus, post-punk was born. The Fall in particular went all over the map with their sound, and Smith always had a lot to say, as evidenced by his some 30+ albums released with the band, each different from the last. See you on the other side, Mark.

7. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Artist: Joe Satriani
    Song: Always With Me, Always With You
    Release Year: 1987
    Why?: One of the greatest instrumental guitarists, and among the best guitarists, of all time. Not many people can do what he does with a guitar, and this song is from his early album "Surfing with the Alien" which is arguably his best album. Can't get too much better than this. He's also been nominated for 15 Grammies and has never won, including three times for different versions of this song, but does anyone care about Grammy Awards anymore?

8. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    Are you the only one allowed to post here?

9. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    So Joe Satriani is the Kenny G of guitars.

10. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Nah, I'm just the only one that has, other than sh1tehawke about Sneaker Pimps. It's different than "what are you listening to right now" which is already stickied, as the song choices represent something more, which might be why no one else has really posted in here this month. They may have not wanted to explain why.

Yeah, or the Snoop Dogg, who has been nominated like 17 times but never won one.

11. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: 30 Seconds to Mars
    Song: Capricorn (A Brand New Name)
    Release Year: 2002
    Why?: What happened to these guys? They had such promise, as a sort of strange space rock band with some prog thrown in too. I can't think of too many bands that hit the sophomore slump as hard as they did, with a debut album this strong followed up by a generic alt rock album in "A Beautiful Lie" which had no identity of its own and let everyone down. At least we'll always have this.

12. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: Death Cab for Cutie
    Song: I Will Possess Your Heart
    Release Year: 2008
    Why?: The first time I heard this song on the radio, I was taken aback. They played the full 8 and a half minute version, and it was just so haunting that I had to hear more of it. It's not a happy song, either, it's about a stalker who wants this girl that he can never have, and the music video shows this bored girl travelling all around the world (and we the audience are the ones following her). It's creepy, beautiful, and evil.

13. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: Sigur Ros
    Song: Glosoli
    Release Year: 2005
    Why?: How do I describe Sigur Ros to those of you who have not listened to them before? Ethereal? Atmospheric? A brief description could perhaps be given as just four dudes in a band, their words, producing music that dreams are made of. You can't think of this band as you would most other bands out there, unless you've listened to some other post-rock, but they're just...special. Seeing Sigur Ros live is among the greatest experiences of my life, and I'm proud to say I've seen them twice.

14. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Band: Dethklok
    Song: Murmaider
    Release Year: 2007
    Why?: Yesterday we were treated to some beautiful, ethereal, and dreamlike music, and today you can hear what nightmares are made of. This band, for those unfamiliar, is a fictional death metal band named Dethklok, created for that Metalocalypse show on Adult Swim. The guys behind the show, namely Brendon Small, released several full length albums as the band, and they're all quite impressive. You had peace with the last song on this list, and now you get the other thing.

The original music video is NSFW and not safe for this site either, so I'm going to copy in just the song and you can find the actual music video they made on Youtube. Viewer discretion is definitely advised for that one.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    GoForkYourself likes this.
  15. GoForkYourself カーリング

GoForkYourself
    awesome, i used to listen to that a lot actually. i remember that whole album being pretty amazing.

16. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    It was. It was a legitimately good album made up of ridiculous jokes and parodies of death metal bands. It was wonderful.

GoForkYourself likes this.
  17. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    Artist: RJD2
    Song: Ghostwriter
    Release Year: 2002
    Why?: After having a discussion with a friend of mine of my years in undergrad, I reminisced about some music I used to listen to back then. One artist in particular was a guy named RJD2, who is an instrumental hip hop/electronica DJ that I enjoyed thoroughly. This song was featured in heavy rotation during my years at undergrad, and for good reason. It's a fun track.

SenorFranko likes this.
  18. SenorFranko Purple Belt

SenorFranko
    Loving the thread buddeh, some great tunes posted.

19. CrimsonFan Silver Belt

CrimsonFan
    Lol i like the dedication here Jeicex

Had a chance to hang out with RJD2 after his set at sxsw a few years back.

To say the least, it was a wild night

20. jeicex Tactleneck Enthusiast

jeicex
    I'm having fun doing it. I'm listening to the music already, so why not take it a half step further and think about it some. Why this song, I ask myself.

It feels right to keep doing this every day, even if there have been a few delays because I've been on the road all day or in Boston at 220 or something else. I'd love to catch RJD2 live, I'm sure the atmosphere is terrific.

SenorFranko likes this.