2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by jei, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Nameless Ghoul

Nameless Ghoul Brown Belt

Great choice! I love Chris Cornell's version too

Anung Un Rama likes this.
  2. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

Man, I remember listening to his version the day he died last year, and it was a gut punch. Powerful stuff, and yes, it was beautifully done.

Nameless Ghoul likes this.
  3. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

Band: Kansas
    Song: Point of Know Return
    Year: 1977
    Why: I wish I grew up in the 60s so I could have grown up listening to bands like Kansas in their heyday. Sure they're still touring now and I might catch them on their 40th anniversary tour of the release of this album, but Steve Walsh (lead singer/keyboardist) retired so it would likely sound dramatically different than it used to. At least I saw them at a festival almost ten years ago, but the crowd was not at all into it so that stung.

4. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

I want to see other's picks.

5. jei

Dude, if you're going to do nothing but complain about picks in this thread, move on.

6. jei

Artist: Nujabes
    Song: Luv(sic) Hexalogy
    Year: 2015
    Why: Nujabes...gone, but not forgotten. This particular track is actually six different ones Nujabes released over the years, cobbled together for your listening enjoyment.

mikehunt and Rebelfett like this.
  7. jei

Artist: LL Cool J
    Song: Mama Said Knock You Out
    Year: 1990
    Why: In honor of the new Deadpool trailer that dropped today, this is the song of the day.

mikehunt and Rebelfett like this.
  8. jei

Band: Everclear
    Song: Everything to Everyone
    Year: 1997
    Why: Ah, alt rock, what happened to you?

mikehunt, Thundarr and Rebelfett like this.
  9. Rebelfett

Rebelfett Likebot

One of my favorite albums of all time. Fucking loved every song.

10. jei

Band: Fleetwood Mac
    Song: Gypsy
    Year: 1982
    Why: I've been a fan of Fleetwood Mac since I can remember, even though I'm actually not sure how I came to enjoy them as much as I do. They were one of those bands that was always there to hear when I was growing up, so they always stuck with me. A radio station I used to listen to as a kid played them constantly, so they were frequently present in my life.

mikehunt and Thundarr like this.
  11. jei

Band: Jamiroquai
    Song: Alright
    Year: 1997
    Why: I'm sure you would have preferred I posted something like "Virtual Insanity" but this whole album, Travelling Without Moving, is exceptional. It might even hold the Guinness World Record for the highest selling funk album of all time, selling over 11 million copies worldwide, but I don't feel like fact checking that further.

mikehunt and SenorFranko like this.
  12. jei

Band: Adam & The Ants
    Song: Killer in the Home
    Year: 1980
    Why: I will always have a soft spot in my heart for new wave. When asked in a reddit AMA, true crime author and investigative journalist Billy Jensen stated that if he were a professional fighter, he would walk out to this song. Brilliant choice, and it's the song of the day.

mikehunt likes this.
  13. jei

Band: The Mars Volta
    Song: Eriatarka
    Year: 2003
    Why: For whatever reason, after this album, De-Loused in the Comatorium, came out in 2003, the band went from massively acclaimed geniuses to "been there, done that" in the blink of an eye. They released so much more terrific music, and it got even weirder over the years (I'm looking at you Amputechture). Critics kept loving them, but they seemed to fade away in the spotlight as garbage music took over in the mid to late 2000s. Doesn't matter, I loved them, and there's rumor that they'll be getting back together sooner than later, which I hope happens.

mikehunt likes this.
  14. Drain Bamage

Drain Bamage Brown Belt

They won the rock album grammy in 2008 for The Bedlam in Goliath.

Great song and one of my GOAT albums.

15. jei

Those hard rock grammies broke my heart over the years, I'm glad they stopped doing them. The rock grammy award is a joke now, Coldplay won it once, and they're about the worst band ever.

But like I said, critics kept loving them, but their releases didn't manage more than blips on the radars of my anecdotal music circles, and I swim in some crazy prog circles. That didn't stop me from buying their albums and listening to them like crazy, I loved "Tetragrammaton" and all of its 16 minute glory.

16. jei

Band: Boards of Canada
    Song: Dayvan Cowboy
    Year: 2005
    Why: Let's slow things down a little with some BOC, especially after the mayhem from The Mars Volta.

mikehunt likes this.
  17. jei

Artist: Katy Rose
    Song: Overdrive
    Year: 2003
    Why: I'm just as surprised as you are. I didn't even know I owned this album.

mikehunt likes this.
  18. jei

Band: Dire Straits
    Song: Sultans of Swing
    Year: 1978
    Why: This song made me want to learn how to play guitar. Not learning how to play an instrument well is one of my biggest regrets.

mikehunt likes this.
  19. loisestrad

loisestrad Silver Belt Platinum Member

That whole album is great.

Why didn't you learn to play guitar (well) if you wanted to? And is it too late?

20. jei

Band: Ladytron
    Song: Paco!
    Year: 2000
    Why: Let's get weird.

TheGZA and mikehunt like this.