2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

I saw Orgy play with Sugar Ray for free at UCSD in like 1997 or 98 or something. It was at the height of each band’s popularity.

I saw Orgy play with Sugar Ray for free at UCSD in like 1997 or 98 or something. It was at the height of each band’s popularity.
I was just talking to a buddy of mine about the legendary Family Values Tour of 1999. It still holds up, I watched a good portion of the dvd the other night.

For the third iteration of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a blues song that was popularly converted a year after its recording into a rock song by The Animals. Several years later, the song was yet again totally turned into something different - this time, a Latin disco version that took the 2+ minute song and turned it into a beautiful 10-15 minute suite.

Artist: Santa Esmeralda
Song: Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Year: 1977
Original Artist: Nina Simone

Cover

Original

I was just talking to a buddy of mine about the legendary Family Values Tour of 1999. It still holds up, I watched a good portion of the dvd the other night.

The show I saw them at was just a one off done especially for UCSD students. It wasn’t part of that tour and only Orgy and Sugar Ray played. I wasn’t a student. But my sister was. I just used her boyfriend’s ID to get in. I looked nothing like him.

The show I saw them at was just a one off done especially for UCSD students. It wasn’t part of that tour and only Orgy and Sugar Ray played. I wasn’t a student. But my sister was. I just used her boyfriend’s ID to get in. I looked nothing like him.
That's still pretty awesome. I've done the old "visiting student/student discount" trick before at a few shows, caught a solid one in Berklee up in Boston from that.

Special shows are better, those one-offs feel more personal instead of like a tour that plays the same setlist for three months straight from arena to arena.

For the fourth installment of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a pop song that was snagged and flipped by a hard hitting rock band. I prefer this version to the original.

Artist: Local H
Song: Toxic
Year: 2005
Original Artist: Britney Spears

Cover

Original

For the fourth installment of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a pop song that was snagged and flipped by a hard hitting rock band. I prefer this version to the original.

Artist: Local H
Song: Toxic
Year: 2005
Original Artist: Britney Spears

Cover

Original

I've loved Local H since I first heard "Bound For The Floor" while going to the mall with my friend and his older brother that turned just 16 and had his own car. Scott Lucas is incredibly underrated, and as a live act(especially with their current drummer Ryan Harding) I'd put them against anyone. If anyone has the chance to see them, do it! You won't regret it.

I've loved Local H since I first heard "Bound For The Floor" while going to the mall with my friend and his older brother that turned just 16 and had his own car. Scott Lucas is incredibly underrated, and as a live act(especially with their current drummer Ryan Harding) I'd put them against anyone. If anyone has the chance to see them, do it! You won't regret it.
I've always wanted to see Local H live, they're high on my list of bands I need to see.

For the fifth installment of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a traditional Irish folk song covered time and time again, only this time by a very popular hard rock/heavy metal band that has divided fans for years.

Artist: Metallica
Song: Whiskey in the Jar
Year: 1998
Original Artist: Traditional Irish Folk Song

Cover

Earlier version more true to the original

For the sixth installment of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a lovely song by a lovely man who is no longer with us, covered by a nu metal band that all but abandoned the original feel of the song. I'm not particularly a fan of the cover and neither was George Michael, but it deserved mentioning.

Artist: Limp Bizkit
Song: Faith
Year: 1998
Original Artist: George Michael

Cover

Original

For the seventh post of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a legendary song that is still relevant to this day. The cover was sensational, which is unusual for an original iconic song. I once wrote a political philosophy paper about the song "Imagine" by contrasting the song styles as well as the context of the respective releases (1971 and 2004), and the professor gave me an A on it. It was a solid paper.

Artist: A Perfect Circle
Song: Imagine
Year: 2004
Original Artist: John Lennon

Cover

Original

Looks like we're going beyond one week of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new!" For this one, I give you a song that has been famously covered more than once, and I would imagine most of you thought one of the covers was actually the original. That's right, Soft Cell didn't originally perform this song.

Artist: Marilyn Manson
Song: Tainted Love
Year: 2001
Original Artist: Gloria Jones, not Soft Cell

Cover

Original

For another round of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a song covered just months after the initial release. With a substantially superior interpretation, the cover transformed a guitar-oriented folk rock song into a powerhouse by a guitar god. Is there a man or woman alive that prefers the original to the Hendrix version?

Artist: The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Song: All Along the Watchtower
Year: 1968
Original Artist: Bob Dylan

Cover

Original

For the next entry of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I give you a classic soul song snagged and twisted into something pretty different. I wouldn't say that the cover is superior like I would about Hendrix above, but it's a great new wave reinterpretation that really slowed things down.

Artist: Talking Heads
Song: Take Me to the River
Year: 1978
Original Artist: Al Green

Cover

Original

I like Aztec Camera, they covered Van Halen's "Jump". Very unique Scottish band.

For this submission of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I present a song that you probably thought started elsewhere. This cover is largely thought to be superior to the original as well as the "original" you thought you knew by Roberta Flack. Great karaoke song, too.

Artist: Fugees
Song: Killing Me Softly
Year: 1996
Original Artist: Lori Lieberman

Cover

Original

For this next piece of "cover songs that transformed the original song into something new," I present a song covered by a guy you've already heard this year, but was too important to leave out for this theme. This one was more appropriate given that it was used by Jon Fitch as his walkout song at Bellator 199, instead of one of the more famous covers the guy did, like "Hurt" or "Won't Back Down" or "God's Gonna Cut You Down."

Artist: Johnny Cash
Song: Rusty Cage
Year: 1996
Original Artist: Soundgarden

Cover

Original

For another "cover song that transformed the original song into something new," I present a song I already posted here around two months ago, with a dramatic reinterpretation that feels much more soulful and sad than the original.

Artist: Chris Cornell
Song: Nothing Compares 2 U
Year: 2015
Original Artist: Prince & The Revolution

Cover

Original

For the final "cover song that transformed the original song into something new," I present a song that when originally released was quite somber, and turned into something that felt a lot more uplifting and fun years later by this British reggae group. And no, this isn't Bob Marley.

Artist: UB40
Song: Red Red Wine
Year: 1983
Original Artist: Neil Diamond

Cover

Original

Back