2018 Song Of The Day - Day 195 - Soundtracks - Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone

Band: Coldplay
Song: Clocks
Year: 2002
Why: I'm man enough to admit - I was wrong about these guys. I used to work at a place that played this song on a looped CD every hour or so for a few months straight, so it's no surprise I grew to hate them and distanced myself from anything they ever did. This "Song of the Day" project has given me the chance to go back and listen to music I haven't listened to in a long time, and popping on A Rush of Blood to the Head, I was pleasantly surprised. This is a good song, and Chris Martin is a better singer than I thought.

Band: The Eagles
Song: Peaceful Easy Feeling
Year: 1972
Why: Following yesterday's song of the day, I've decided to continue with the theme of songs I used to hate. Yeah, that's right, I never could get into The Eagles. Their energy just didn't vibe with mine, or maybe it's because I never felt their music went anywhere - it just was.

Band: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Song: Give It Away
Year: 1991
Why: Next on the train of artists that never did anything for me is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They were brutally abused on the radio, on either of my two alt rock stations where I grew up, so I heard this one and "Under the Bridge", what seemed like every other track from Californication, and plenty of others more times than I care to remember. Funk rock mixed in with some rap? Sign me up.

Band: Hootie & the Blowfish
Song: Hold My Hand
Year: 1994
Why: Although now largely a punchline, everyone seemed to like Hootie & the Blowfish in the 90s but me. It's no joke that this album, Cracked Rear View, is among the biggest selling albums of all time. They are the perfect example of a band that was in exactly the right place at exactly the right time, and they were wildly popular for a few years because of it. I guess the lead guy Darius Rucker is a big solo country artist now, but I don't know the market.

Band: The Rolling Stones
Song: Gimme Shelter
Year: 1969
Why: I often see the question "The Rolling Stones or The Beatles?", and it always makes me laugh. For me, it's no contest, Beatles by armbar. To be fair, I appreciate the Stones and everything they've done for music, but I just don't get it. Is it because of when they were releasing music? Their longevity? The "British Invasion" factor? Did I have to be there to understand?

Why: I often see the question "The Rolling Stones or The Beatles?", and it always makes me laugh. For me, it's no contest, Beatles by armbar. To be fair, I appreciate the Stones and everything they've done for music, but I just don't get it. Is it because of when they were releasing music? Their longevity? The "British Invasion" factor? Did I have to be there to understand?

Beatles and Stones are such different bands

In the studio The Beatles are king

On stage? Might be a different story. The Stones are stage kings.

This an amazing song, so much vibe

Band: Death Grips
Song: Runway H
Year: 2015
Why: I never could get into Death Grips, they were just too abrasive for me. Then, Fashion Week came out suddenly and unexpected a few years ago, and it clicked.

This is the last song of a theme I've been running for a week now about bands/artists that I cannot stand listening to. April Fools, I don't like any of these artists I mentioned from Coldplay to Dylan.

Artist: Bob Dylan
Song: The Times They Are a-Changin'
Year: 1964
Why: Listen, I admire him as a songwriter. He's a lyrical genius, but when it comes to him performing his songs, I have never gotten into it. I think he should have been the Bernie Taupin to another artist's Elton John, and made music that way.

Artist: Iggy Pop
Song: The Passenger
Year: 1977
Why: Back to music I enjoy, let's go with some Iggy Pop now. Not only is this a great song, Karolina Kowalkiewicz walked out to it before she fought and defeated Felice Herrig at UFC 223.

The Beatles were a better studio band, I agree. But they were sloppy and rudimentary when they performed live. Not performing live after 1966 and focusing on their music solely in the studio was possibly the best decision they ever made as a group.

Artist: Santana
Song: Everybody's Everything
Year: 1971
Why: What a fun song. If you're not tapping your foot or otherwise moving along with the music, I can't help you.

Band: The Cure
Song: One Hundred Years
Year: 1982
Why: It's already been 100 days since I started this. Time flies when you're having fun. For The Cure, the '80s were the best, plain and simple.

Band: Erasure
Song: Always
Year: 1994
Why: I like Erasure, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Band: AC/DC
Song: Thunderstruck
Year: 1990
Why: This song needs no introduction.

And if you're going to play Thunderstruck on guitar, use a damn pick, you cretins!

Band: Jamiroquai
Song: Little L
Release Year: 2001
Why?: It came on in a bar/club last Saturday night and I was like "Fuck that's funky". So I got my disco dancing on. Place was packed with stag (bachelor) and hen (bachelorette) parties. All in our dirty 30's just gettin down to some old skool choons

I admire your spirit, but we just had a Jamiroquai song less than three weeks ago...

Artist: Fatboy Slim
Song: Weapon of Choice
Year: 2001
Why: Have you ever watched the music video? Do it.

Band: Alice in Chains
Song: Dirt
Year: 1992
Why: There's just so much of it.

Band: Tool
Song: Lateralus
Year: 2001
Why: The best Tool song, and among the best songs of the 2000s.

Band: Supertramp
Song: Goodbye Stranger
Year: 1979
Why: This album, Breakfast in America, was just jam packed with hit after hit including this, "The Logical Song", "Breakfast in America" and "Take the Long Way Home." I don't know if I'd ever be up for making such a list, but I've got to think this album would be in consideration for one of the 100 greatest albums of all time.

Back