2018 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League thread (México vs. Canada Grand Finals)

Next Wednesday (February 21, 2018), Deportivo Saprissa will clash against Club América. This match consists of two of the most powerful clubs in the entire history of North America and it will be in Costa Rica. Univision Deportes Network (UDN) will show the match starting at 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

On the same day, Tauro Fútbol Club will lock horns with Football Club Dallas. The match will be in Panamá and it will begin at 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Also on the same day, Fútbol Club Motagua will compete against Club Tijuana. This match will be in USA and it will begin at 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Univision Deportes Network (UDN) will broadcast this match. One of the reasons that this match will take place in USA is because of the "ongoing political and social situation in Honduras."

Last edited:
Next Thursday (February 22, 2018), Cibao Fútbol Club will compete against Club Deportivo Guadalajara. This match will be in República Dominicana (Dominican Republic). Univision Deportes Network (UDN) will show the match starting at 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

On the same day, Club Deportivo Olimpia will meet New York Red Bulls. This match will be in Costa Rica and it will begin at 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Univision Deportes Network (UDN) will broadcast this match. One of the reasons that this match will take place in Costa Rica is because of the "ongoing political and social situation in Honduras."

Also on the same day, Santa Tecla Fútbol Club will begin their series against Seattle Sounders. This match will be in El Salvador and it will begin at 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Last edited:
when are they gonna fix this tournament and actually have last season determine who makes it to the champions league (atleast for MLS)

Colorado didn't even make the playoffs last year

when are they gonna fix this tournament and actually have last season determine who makes it to the champions league (atleast for MLS)

It seems that the 2019 Scotiabank Champions League will be the final edition that will be "awkward."

If I am not mistaken, Sporting Kansas City have already entered the 2019 Scotiabank Champions League because they won the 2017 Open Cup title. That leaves three spaces for three more clubs from USA.

The club that wins the 2018 Open Cup title will also be guaranteed a berth in the 2019 Scotiabank Champions League.

Furthermore, the club that wins the 2018 MLS Cup title will also be guaranteed a berth in the 2019 Scotiabank Champions League.

Finally, the fourth berth that USA clubs have will be determined by the "USA club that has the best aggregate record in the 2017 and 2018 MLS regular seasons."

"Due to the Champions League's restructuring from 2017–18, the United States will be represented in the 2019 CONCACAF Champions League by two teams each in the 2017 and 2018 seasons: the MLS Cup champions in 2017 and 2018, and the Open Cup champions in 2017 and 2018. This means that the Supporters' Shield (the season title in MLS) in 2017 and 2018, and the Eastern Conference and/or Western Conference regular season champions which are not Supporters' Shield champions in 2017 and 2018, which would have qualified for the Champions League in the usual setup, will not be guaranteed a berth in the Champions League. If a team qualifies through multiple berths, or if any of the MLS berths are taken by a Canada-based MLS team, the vacated berth is reallocated to the U.S.-based team with the best aggregate record over the 2017 and 2018 MLS regular seasons.

As the 2017 MLS Cup was won by the Canadian team Toronto Football Club, this berth is reallocated based on the above method."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_CONCACAF_Champions_League

I see that you have New York City Football Club in your avatar. If I'm not mistaken, it's POSSIBLE that New York City Football Club can enter the Scotiabank Champions League as early as 2019.

Last edited:

Dan Patrick: Hi there, I'm Dan Patrick.

Kenny Mayne: And I'm Kenny Mayne.

Dan Patrick: With the first seven months of the BASEketball postseason out of the way, the playoff picture is now STARTING to emerge.

Kenny Mayne: So, with last night's victory over Boston, next week the Beers must beat Indianapolis in order to advance to Charlotte. That's in an effort to reduce their magic number to three.

Dan Patrick: Right, and then the Beers can advance to the National Eastern Division North to play Tampa.

Kenny Mayne: So, if the Beers beat Detroit and Denver beats Atlanta in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then Milwaukee goes to the Denslow Cup, unless Baltimore can upset Buffalo and Charlotte ties Toronto, then Oakland would play Los Angeles and Pittsburgh in a blind choice round-robin. And if no clear winner emerges from all this, the two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion is crowned.

I see that you have New York City Football Club in your avatar. If I'm not mistaken, it's POSSIBLE that New York City Football Club can enter the Scotiabank Champions League as early as 2019.

haha good, it'll be nice to finally have it fixed although it still looks like the knockout round will run through MLS pre-season which sucks. Mexico will just continue to dominate.

and yea if i'm not mistaken, NYC had the 2nd best pts last season, so they just need another good year and I believe they get that final spot

and yea if i'm not mistaken, NYC had the 2nd best pts last season, so they just need another good year and I believe they get that final spot

All of this reminds me of BASEketball. Did you ever watch that film?

haha good, it'll be nice to finally have it fixed although it still looks like the knockout round will run through MLS pre-season which sucks. Mexico will just continue to dominate.

Like I already wrote in this thread, all of the clubs in MLS are brand-new.

You shouldn't expect them to "hit the ground running" and immediately dominate the Scotiabank Champions League.

MLS started in 1996 and many of the clubs started AFTER 1996.

There are many clubs in Liga México that are OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD.

The clubs in MLS still have to increase their experience in a realm that is super-competitive (at least when it comes to clubs from México competing against each other) and where the MOST IMPORTANT PRIZES IMAGINABLE are at stake. The Scotiabank Champions League is definitely that realm.

The Scotiabank Champions League represents the HIGHEST STAKES POSSIBLE.

If you are a fan of New York City Football Club, you should be happy that such a new club is in a position to already enter the Champions League.

New York City Football Club started in 2015.

Orlando City started in 2015.

Atlanta United started in 2017.

Minnesota United started in 2017.

Los Angeles Football Club will start THIS YEAR.

Beckham United (also known as Miami MLS) hasn't even started yet.

Nashville MLS hasn't even started yet.

18_SCCL_Bracket.png

Last edited:
All of this reminds me of BASEketball. Did you ever watch that film?

Like I already wrote in this thread, all of the clubs in MLS are brand-new.

You shouldn't expect them to "hit the ground running" and immediately dominate the Scotiabank Champions League.

MLS started in 1996 and many of the clubs started AFTER 1996.

There are many clubs in Liga México that are OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD.

The clubs in MLS still have to increase their experience in a realm that is super-competitive (at least when it comes to clubs from México competing against each other) and where the MOST IMPORTANT PRIZES IMAGINABLE are at stake. The Scotiabank Champions League is definitely that realm.

The Scotiabank Champions League represents the HIGHEST STAKES POSSIBLE.

If you are a fan of New York City Football Club, you should be happy that such a new club is in a position to already enter the Champions League.

New York City Football Club started in 2015.

Orlando City started in 2015.

Atlanta United started in 2017.

Minnesota United started in 2017.

Los Angeles Football Club will start THIS YEAR.

Beckham United (also known as Miami MLS) hasn't even started yet.

Nashville MLS hasn't even started yet.

18_SCCL_Bracket.png

i know and agree with all that, i've been a die hard fan of the MLS ever since I got into soccer in like 2002.

MLS clubs currently aren't at the level of the Mexican teams, but it sure as hell doesn't help that the knockout rounds start before the MLS season even starts.

It'd be like if Serie A had the MLS schedule and they had to play the UEFA champions league knockout rounds before their season even started. huge disadvantage.

despite that, i remember Montreal randomly making a good run at the final a couple years ago lol

https://www.concacafchampionsleague...ue/game-detail/424578#tab_match=match-details

Colorado Rapids 0-2 Toronto Football Club

So far, Colorado Rapids haven't been able to do anything against Toronto Football Club. I think that it's safe to say that Colorado Rapids will need a miracle in order to eliminate Toronto FC from the Champions League. Toronto Football Club will return to Canada with the away victory (and two away goals).

Shut the fuck up

https://www.concacafchampionsleague...ue/game-detail/424580#tab_match=match-details

Deportivo Saprissa 1-5 Club América

Seeing as how Deportivo Saprissa and Club América are two of the most powerful clubs in the entire history of North America, every fan of Scotiabank Champions League was expecting fireworks from this series.

In a way, every fan did receive fireworks because Club América completely OBLITERATED Deportivo Saprissa.

If I'm not mistaken, all of the fans of all of the other clubs will want to avoid Club América for as long as possible.

Club América will return to México with the away victory (and five away goals).

https://www.concacafchampionsleague...ue/game-detail/424581#tab_match=match-details

Club Deportivo Guadalajara win the series 7-0 against Cibao Fútbol Club.

Before and after the 2018 Scotiabank Champions League started, it was obvious that Club Guadalajara was one of the clubs to think about. Cibao Fútbol Club had to learn that the hard way. However, Cibao FC have to remember that there's always next year.

Club Deportivo Guadalajara advance to the Quarterfinals of the Champions League.

Last edited:
https://www.concacafchampionsleague.com/en/champions-league/game-detail/424585

Club Tigres UANL win the series 5-3 against Club Herediano.

To the surprise of almost no one, Club Tigres UANL have eliminated Club Herediano.

In the future, Club Herediano have to hope for a better draw because Club Tigres UANL are ON FIRE at the moment.

Club Tigres UANL advance to the Quarterfinals of the Champions League.

Back