2017 World Jiu Jitsu Championships Prediction Thread

Kenny from MD

Less angry than before.
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm extra excited this year because I have a Flo Grappling account and will actually be able to follow the action for once. I spent too long looking at the brackets and here are my thoughts and predictions for all of the black belt divisions, from the quarterfinals through the finals.
Note: I accidentally wrote 1, 2, 3, 4 when typing this out and it should read 1, 2, 3, 3.

Rooster:

1. Bruno Malfacine

2. Caio Terra

3. Lucas Pinheiro

4. Jorge Nakamura

Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with any of the fighters on the top left corner of the bracket, so I picked Nakamura based on camp alone. The rest of the bracket is pretty straightforward I think. Wouldn't be surprised to see Pinheiro upset Caio Terra and fall to Malfacine in the final.

Light Feather:

1. Michael Musumeci (new American World Champ)

2. Joao Miyao

3. Ary Farias

4. Gabriel Moraes

I think Musumeci is good enough to play a competition oriented game and tie guys up long enough to prevent from being scored on while slowly threatening. Therefore, I think he wins against Doederlin in a rematch. Ary Farias will be game in the semi final after beating Beleza (who beats Samir), but I think if he plays it smart, he will get it done and make history as the third male American black belt champion. Moraes over Hiago in the quarter, and Miyao over Moraes in the semi. Hard to bet on Miyao over Musumeci given their history, but stranger things have happened.

Feather:

1. Cobrinha

2. Marcio Andre

3. Gianni Grippo

4. Samuel Braga

I see Cobrinha slaughtering his side of the bracket. The opposite side of page one is interesting, with Shane Jamil Hill-Taylor against Jeffery Cummings, but i think Hill-Taylor is technical enough to negate Cummings' top game. I take Braga over Hill-Taylor in a competitive match, as Braga is a veteran world champion that is very good at dealing with complicated guard work. On page two, I think Jon Thomas beats Silvio Duran first round, but falls to Marcio Andre in the quarter final. I expect Quexinho to beat Aj Agazarm in his featherweight debut, but once again lose to Gianni Grippo in a close one, who will fall to Andre in the semi final. I think Cobrinha avenges his loss to Andre with more preparation and less giant cuts to the head.

Light:

1. Lucas Lepri (close out w Langhi)

2. Michael Langhi (close out w Lepri)

3. Edwin Najmi

4. Celso Vinicius

Now this is a damn division! Jake McKenzie over Michael Liera in the first match, which leads to McKenzie versus Renato Canuto, which is a match I really wanna see. Jake is bigger, more experienced, but less dynamic. Can slow Canuto down with his closed guard game. Whoever wins, they ain't beating Lepri. Opposite their side, it will be Palito against Najmi. Off the top of my head, I believe Najmi finished Rolles last time, and I think he will do it again to meet (and lose to) Lepri in the semi. On page two, I see Satoshii besting Mafra, and falling to Michael Langhi in the quarter final. Celso Vinicius will meet Andris Burnovskis in the quarter final (after Brunovskis picks up his second win against Baiano in the previous round in another very close match), and although it could go either way, I give the edge to Ceslinho. Would NOT be surprised to see Andris pull the upset, but either way, I think Langhi makes it to the final and closes out with Lepri. Don't know how that works out. Langhi took gold the last time they closed out in 2015. So do they switch this time?

Middle:

1. Gabriel Arges (close out with Souza)

2. Otavio Souza (close out with Arges)

3. Josh Hinger

4. Victor Silveiro

Victor Silveiro over Tinoco in the quarter, but that could be reversed. Silveiro seems to crack under pressure a lot. Opposite side of page one, I pick Otavio Souza over Mansher Khera. Page 2 is a nightmare. Smart money says Isaque Bahinese to the semis, but I am picking my dark horse of the tournament here, Josh Hinger, to make it through a murderer's row of Gabriel Goulart, Jamie Canuto and then Isaque. Opposite, I expect to see Vitor Oliveria lose a tough one to Arges, who takes out Hinger in the semi. We get a repeat close out, and the question is does Arges get it, because Souza took the gold last year, or does seniority win, and Souza takes another one?

Middle Heavy:

1. Felipe Pena

2. Lucas Barbosa

3. Andre Galvao

4. Lucas Rocha

Galvao eats everyone's lunch on his side of the bracket. I expect him to meet Felipe Pena (who will defeat Renato Cardoso in the quarter) in the semi final, dropping a close match. Page 2 is the hardest to call of the tournament for me. First round, Dillon Danis versus Lucas Hulk. I give the edge to Hulk based on size, strength and aggressiveness. Danis didn't seem too fired up against Rocha at Pans. I hope they both fight for the takedown and we get fireworks. Crazy prediction for Worlds: Hulk over Romulo. I think Hulk can do what Bahinese did, but even cleaner. And I expect him to once again take out Lucas Rocha, who he will face in the semi final. Pena via dominant victory over Lucas in the final, probaby.

Heavy:

1. Leandro Lo

2. Nicholas Meregali

3. Jackson Souza

4.Tanner Rice

Leandro Lo over Matteus Diniz in the quarter. I think he meets Jackson Souza in the semis, and beats him by a landslide.Nicholas Meregali beats Lucas Leite in the quarter final, and then moves through the semi final, defeating Tanner Rice, in what will be considered one of the best matches in the tournament. Lo and Meregali will be decided 2-0 in favor of Lo, in a very close, careful, slow paced match.

Super Heavy:

1. Bernardo Faria

2. Erberth Santos

3. Roberto Abreu

4. Luiz Panza

This division is far more condensed than others, which means more action in earlier rounds. I pick Bernardo Faria to take out a tough Jared Dopp in the elimination rounds, before beating Luiz Panza in the semi final. On the other side, Erberth Santos doesn't even break a sweat making it to the semis, where he faces Cyborg. That corner of the bracket is interesting. Eliot Kelly has beaten Xande, and has the top game to give Cyborg trouble, but ultimately I pick Cyborg to move on and defeat a game Aly. Would not at all be surprised to see Aly upset and make the semi, where he loses to Erberth. I think Faria weathers the early storm from Erberth in the finals, and puts an end to his hot streak in true Bernardo fashion... sucking him into half guard, sweeping to the top and crushing, avenging his injury loss upset at Worlds last year.

Ultra Heavy:

1. Buchecha

2. Alexander Trans

3. Joao Gabriel Rocha

4. Gabriel Lucas

Joao Gabriel Rocha over Vinny Magalhaes opening round, and continuing on to take out James Puopolo before submitting to Buchecha in the semi final. On the other side, Gabriel Fedor takes out Shoe Face, Trans beats Cavaca again, and then Buchecha beats Trans in the final by a narrow margin... again. This is the only division that is giving me a hard time, as Antonio Carlos has some notable wins under his belt, and very well could beat Gabriel Lucas and even upset Trans. But with his concentration being MMA, I am reluctantly going with Fedor.

And for the ladies:

Rooster:

1. Rikako Yuasa

2. Outi Jarvilheto

3. Rayanne Santos

4. Kinako Inaba

I will be the first to tell you, I have no idea who these women are aside from former multiple time World Champion Rikako Yuasa. But guess what? Four out of five of these girls are getting on the podium, so I'll probably still be dead on despite just randomly guessing. Jarvilheto already has a silver medal, so why not repeat it right?

Light Feather:

1. Gezary Matuda

2. Pati Fontes

3. Sofia Amarante

4. Kristina Barlaan

Gezary Matuda submits Sofia Amarante in the semi final. Pati Fontes beats Kristina Barlaan, and submits to Gezary in the final. Not much more to say about a division that starts in the quarter final.

Feather:

1. Mackenzie Dern

2. Bianca Basillo

3. Ana Carolina

4. Aarae Alexander

Bianca Basillo over Ana Carolina, and Mackenzie Dern over Aarae Alexander. Dern takes it in a competitive finals. ASTERIK! Basillo is GOOD, and has been preparing at AOJ. This could be the makings for a huge upset against Dern, and I would love to see a star born.

Light:
1. Bia Mesquita

2. Tammi Musumeci

3. Luiza Monteiro

4. Laurah Hallock? Sure, why not.

Bia Mesquita over Fabiana Borges in the quarter final, and meets Tammi Musumeci in the final (who beats Luiza Monteiro in the semi final with her guard work). Bia by points or toe hold.

Middle:

1. Ana Carolina Vieira

2. Monique Elias

3. Caitlin Huggins

4. Jackeline Oliveira

Monique Elias over Caitlin Huggins in the semi final. Ana Carolina beats former World Champion Elias in the final and stakes her claim to the throne.

Middle Heavy:

1. Andresa Correa

2. Nathiely de Jesus

3. Jessica Flowers

4. Charlene Coats?

Another thin division. Correa has a bye round into the semi, so she is guarunteed to medal, and since she is a former champion, and the only name I recognize on that side of the bracket, I will just assume she slides into the final and wins. Flowers submitted Andresa at Pans, and Bathiely won Worlds at brown belt, so at least there's reason to believe the results will be competitive.

Heavy:

1. Talita Nogueira

2. Fernanda Mazzelli

3. Claudia Fernanda

4. Samela Leite

Another 5 woman division, meaning at least 4 women will place. Mazzelli is the reigning champ, Talita is a former champ. Treta has been around for awhile and is very tough and gritty so I pick her. The rest just kind of default for bronze.

Super Heavy:

1. Tayane Profirio

2. Venla Orvokki

3. n/a

4. n/a

There are only two women in the division, and Tayane is freaking huge.

I think Isaac beats musumeci again. Ary has been more focus on bjj this year and he can win as well.

Very well done. I would agree that Aly could take Cyborg and Hulk could take Romulo.
I'm excited to see what Meregali has for Lo this time around. They had a great match at Pans.

That's a nice analysis. I'd only take Marcio Andre, and Erberth Santos as winners of their categories, for the rest I'm pretty sold. How do you think absolutes could play out?

I will hopefully have time to come back and make some predictions when the open brackets come out, but I'm competing in a local tournament Saturday so I may not be able to.

That being said, I'm not betting against Buchecha, and it's hard to see where he is going to run into real trouble. Other than that, it depends so much on the brackets. For example, Lo struggles with Faria, but repeatedly has beaten Erberth, where as Erberth's high paced game was a nightmare for Faria last year. Trans is a problem for everyone and I'd like to see him against Erberth. I think those four would be the podium in a perfect bracket, however I would personally like to see Lo break out this year. Pena could also make waves.

Tayane is certainly the favorite for the women by virtue of just being so much bigger than everyone else. I don't know much about her record aside from her being (I think) 3-0 against Dern and having won Worlds at brown belt last year. I will say this: of the women actually showed up for the open weight in stronger numbers, this would be A great chance for a lighter weight girl to take it with how thin the heavier weights are. Dern and Andresa Correa go back and forth, so there's competition there, Bia just choked Dern, and is already a 2x open champion, Viera is very good, etc. I really believe Gezary is the most technically proficient of the group and would love to see her outside her weight class and matched up with someone of the bigger names. A light feather hasn't won the open since the first year the year had it and Nicolini won. Without Gabi or Dominyka, it is prime time.

Great analysis. Agree with the majority of your picks, but feel pretty strongly that Erberth beats Faria (likely by submission, like he did last year). Matches against Leandro Lo notwithstanding, Erberth has been killing it this year, competing basically every weekend. Faria (now 30 years old), as far as I can tell, has not competed since his loss against Santos at last year's Worlds (Santos's BJJ Heroes record shows around 80 matches since that same match against Faria).

Lo vs. Buchecha in the absolute category is really interesting. Obviously Buchecha still has a strength and weight advantage, but the gap has certainly lessened in the past few years, and Lo has always had competitive matches with him. Watch out for Meregali -- if there's anyone that could upset Lo at Heavy, it's him.

Last edited:
Rooster:
1.) Bruno
2.)Caio
3.)Pinheiro
3.)Have never seen or heard of any of the guys in Top of A Bracket.
This one is pretty straightforward.Withe the lack of depth at this weighclass and the brackets,the top 3 are heard and shoulders ahead of the other competitors.

Lightfeather:
1.) Miyao
2.)Doederlein
3.) Farias
3.)Moraes
Much deeper division than Rooster. Gotta give it to Joao but baring any weight issues,I see Doederlein upsetting Muscumesi and Ary. IMO Doederlein has the most complete game in the division and experienced enough to move the game to his strengths. I actually see Isaac winning it all,but if I was betting cash,it would be hard to bet against Miyao.

Feather:
1.)Quiexinho
2.)Cobrinha
3.)Shane Hill-Taylor
3.)Marcio Andre

People are SLEEPING on Shane Hill-Taylor.He is one of the up and coming American BBs. I believe he has one of the brightest futures out of the new American BBs.That said, I believe it is Quiexinho's time and he beats the aging Cobrinha this year.Numerous great matchups like Duran vs Thomas and potentially a Silvio Duran vs Marcio Andre matchup. This is actually the toughest BB division to predict because I can see Quiexinho,Cobrinha or Andre winning it all.

Light:
1.)Langhi/Lepri
2.)Langhi/Lepri
3.)Celsinho
3.)Najmi
Stacked division.That said, I see a closeout between Langhi and Lepri with Najmi and Celsinho getting Bronze. I really want to see a Canuto-Liera matchup and a Andris-Celsinho matchup.

Middle:
1.)Arges/Sousa
2.)Arges/Sousa
3.) Tinoco
3.) Jaime Canuto

Interesting division. I see a closeout between Arges and Sousa. I'm curious how Manser does with his new team and how Isaque steps up at BB. Personally, I see Braz as one dimensional since Purple belt and curious if he adds to his game or if still successful with the same game at BB.

Medium Heavy:
1.)Pena/Barral
2.)Pena/Barral
3.)Galvao
3.)Rocha
I see a Pena-Barral Close out

Heavy:
1.)Lo
2.)Leite
3.) Jackson Sousa
3.)Tanner Rice

SuperHeavy:
1.)Faria
2.)Erberth
3.)Aly
3.)Panza
Faria is the obvious favorite but wouldn't be surprised to see Erberth upsetting him. I see Aly surprising people and beating Abreu. Abreu and Kelly will be a very tough match in which I see Abreu squeeking by and losing to Aly.

Ultra:
1.)Buschecha
2.)Cavaca
3.)Joao Gabriel
4.)Trans

Last edited:
Is there any way I can watch this? Will there be live streams on youtube?

I'm extra excited this year because I have a Flo Grappling account and will actually be able to follow the action for once. I spent too long looking at the brackets and here are my thoughts and predictions for all of the black belt divisions, from the quarterfinals through the finals.
Note: I accidentally wrote 1, 2, 3, 4 when typing this out and it should read 1, 2, 3, 3.

Rooster:

1. Bruno Malfacine

2. Caio Terra

3. Lucas Pinheiro

4. Jorge Nakamura

Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with any of the fighters on the top left corner of the bracket, so I picked Nakamura based on camp alone. The rest of the bracket is pretty straightforward I think. Wouldn't be surprised to see Pinheiro upset Caio Terra and fall to Malfacine in the final.

Light Feather:

1. Michael Musumeci (new American World Champ)

2. Joao Miyao

3. Ary Farias

4. Gabriel Moraes

I think Musumeci is good enough to play a competition oriented game and tie guys up long enough to prevent from being scored on while slowly threatening. Therefore, I think he wins against Doederlin in a rematch. Ary Farias will be game in the semi final after beating Beleza (who beats Samir), but I think if he plays it smart, he will get it done and make history as the third male American black belt champion. Moraes over Hiago in the quarter, and Miyao over Moraes in the semi. Hard to bet on Miyao over Musumeci given their history, but stranger things have happened.

Feather:

1. Cobrinha

2. Marcio Andre

3. Gianni Grippo

4. Samuel Braga

I see Cobrinha slaughtering his side of the bracket. The opposite side of page one is interesting, with Shane Jamil Hill-Taylor against Jeffery Cummings, but i think Hill-Taylor is technical enough to negate Cummings' top game. I take Braga over Hill-Taylor in a competitive match, as Braga is a veteran world champion that is very good at dealing with complicated guard work. On page two, I think Jon Thomas beats Silvio Duran first round, but falls to Marcio Andre in the quarter final. I expect Quexinho to beat Aj Agazarm in his featherweight debut, but once again lose to Gianni Grippo in a close one, who will fall to Andre in the semi final. I think Cobrinha avenges his loss to Andre with more preparation and less giant cuts to the head.

Light:

1. Lucas Lepri (close out w Langhi)

2. Michael Langhi (close out w Lepri)

3. Edwin Najmi

4. Celso Vinicius

Now this is a damn division! Jake McKenzie over Michael Liera in the first match, which leads to McKenzie versus Renato Canuto, which is a match I really wanna see. Jake is bigger, more experienced, but less dynamic. Can slow Canuto down with his closed guard game. Whoever wins, they ain't beating Lepri. Opposite their side, it will be Palito against Najmi. Off the top of my head, I believe Najmi finished Rolles last time, and I think he will do it again to meet (and lose to) Lepri in the semi. On page two, I see Satoshii besting Mafra, and falling to Michael Langhi in the quarter final. Celso Vinicius will meet Andris Burnovskis in the quarter final (after Brunovskis picks up his second win against Baiano in the previous round in another very close match), and although it could go either way, I give the edge to Ceslinho. Would NOT be surprised to see Andris pull the upset, but either way, I think Langhi makes it to the final and closes out with Lepri. Don't know how that works out. Langhi took gold the last time they closed out in 2015. So do they switch this time?

Middle:

1. Gabriel Arges (close out with Souza)

2. Otavio Souza (close out with Arges)

3. Josh Hinger

4. Victor Silveiro

Victor Silveiro over Tinoco in the quarter, but that could be reversed. Silveiro seems to crack under pressure a lot. Opposite side of page one, I pick Otavio Souza over Mansher Khera. Page 2 is a nightmare. Smart money says Isaque Bahinese to the semis, but I am picking my dark horse of the tournament here, Josh Hinger, to make it through a murderer's row of Gabriel Goulart, Jamie Canuto and then Isaque. Opposite, I expect to see Vitor Oliveria lose a tough one to Arges, who takes out Hinger in the semi. We get a repeat close out, and the question is does Arges get it, because Souza took the gold last year, or does seniority win, and Souza takes another one?

Middle Heavy:

1. Felipe Pena

2. Lucas Barbosa

3. Andre Galvao

4. Lucas Rocha

Galvao eats everyone's lunch on his side of the bracket. I expect him to meet Felipe Pena (who will defeat Renato Cardoso in the quarter) in the semi final, dropping a close match. Page 2 is the hardest to call of the tournament for me. First round, Dillon Danis versus Lucas Hulk. I give the edge to Hulk based on size, strength and aggressiveness. Danis didn't seem too fired up against Rocha at Pans. I hope they both fight for the takedown and we get fireworks. Crazy prediction for Worlds: Hulk over Romulo. I think Hulk can do what Bahinese did, but even cleaner. And I expect him to once again take out Lucas Rocha, who he will face in the semi final. Pena via dominant victory over Lucas in the final, probaby.

Heavy:

1. Leandro Lo

2. Nicholas Meregali

3. Jackson Souza

4.Tanner Rice

Leandro Lo over Matteus Diniz in the quarter. I think he meets Jackson Souza in the semis, and beats him by a landslide.Nicholas Meregali beats Lucas Leite in the quarter final, and then moves through the semi final, defeating Tanner Rice, in what will be considered one of the best matches in the tournament. Lo and Meregali will be decided 2-0 in favor of Lo, in a very close, careful, slow paced match.

Super Heavy:

1. Bernardo Faria

2. Erberth Santos

3. Roberto Abreu

4. Luiz Panza

This division is far more condensed than others, which means more action in earlier rounds. I pick Bernardo Faria to take out a tough Jared Dopp in the elimination rounds, before beating Luiz Panza in the semi final. On the other side, Erberth Santos doesn't even break a sweat making it to the semis, where he faces Cyborg. That corner of the bracket is interesting. Eliot Kelly has beaten Xande, and has the top game to give Cyborg trouble, but ultimately I pick Cyborg to move on and defeat a game Aly. Would not at all be surprised to see Aly upset and make the semi, where he loses to Erberth. I think Faria weathers the early storm from Erberth in the finals, and puts an end to his hot streak in true Bernardo fashion... sucking him into half guard, sweeping to the top and crushing, avenging his injury loss upset at Worlds last year.

Ultra Heavy:

1. Buchecha

2. Alexander Trans

3. Joao Gabriel Rocha

4. Gabriel Lucas

Joao Gabriel Rocha over Vinny Magalhaes opening round, and continuing on to take out James Puopolo before submitting to Buchecha in the semi final. On the other side, Gabriel Fedor takes out Shoe Face, Trans beats Cavaca again, and then Buchecha beats Trans in the final by a narrow margin... again. This is the only division that is giving me a hard time, as Antonio Carlos has some notable wins under his belt, and very well could beat Gabriel Lucas and even upset Trans. But with his concentration being MMA, I am reluctantly going with Fedor.

And for the ladies:

Rooster:

1. Rikako Yuasa

2. Outi Jarvilheto

3. Rayanne Santos

4. Kinako Inaba

I will be the first to tell you, I have no idea who these women are aside from former multiple time World Champion Rikako Yuasa. But guess what? Four out of five of these girls are getting on the podium, so I'll probably still be dead on despite just randomly guessing. Jarvilheto already has a silver medal, so why not repeat it right?

Light Feather:

1. Gezary Matuda

2. Pati Fontes

3. Sofia Amarante

4. Kristina Barlaan

Gezary Matuda submits Sofia Amarante in the semi final. Pati Fontes beats Kristina Barlaan, and submits to Gezary in the final. Not much more to say about a division that starts in the quarter final.

Feather:

1. Mackenzie Dern

2. Bianca Basillo

3. Ana Carolina

4. Aarae Alexander

Bianca Basillo over Ana Carolina, and Mackenzie Dern over Aarae Alexander. Dern takes it in a competitive finals. ASTERIK! Basillo is GOOD, and has been preparing at AOJ. This could be the makings for a huge upset against Dern, and I would love to see a star born.

Light:
1. Bia Mesquita

2. Tammi Musumeci

3. Luiza Monteiro

4. Laurah Hallock? Sure, why not.

Bia Mesquita over Fabiana Borges in the quarter final, and meets Tammi Musumeci in the final (who beats Luiza Monteiro in the semi final with her guard work). Bia by points or toe hold.

Middle:

1. Ana Carolina Vieira

2. Monique Elias

3. Caitlin Huggins

4. Jackeline Oliveira

Monique Elias over Caitlin Huggins in the semi final. Ana Carolina beats former World Champion Elias in the final and stakes her claim to the throne.

Middle Heavy:

1. Andresa Correa

2. Nathiely de Jesus

3. Jessica Flowers

4. Charlene Coats?

Another thin division. Correa has a bye round into the semi, so she is guarunteed to medal, and since she is a former champion, and the only name I recognize on that side of the bracket, I will just assume she slides into the final and wins. Flowers submitted Andresa at Pans, and Bathiely won Worlds at brown belt, so at least there's reason to believe the results will be competitive.

Heavy:

1. Talita Nogueira

2. Fernanda Mazzelli

3. Claudia Fernanda

4. Samela Leite

Another 5 woman division, meaning at least 4 women will place. Mazzelli is the reigning champ, Talita is a former champ. Treta has been around for awhile and is very tough and gritty so I pick her. The rest just kind of default for bronze.

Super Heavy:

1. Tayane Profirio

2. Venla Orvokki

3. n/a

4. n/a

There are only two women in the division, and Tayane is freaking huge.

Can I come over bro? I live in MD.

Sure, but I'll be at a local tournament for who knows how long on Saturday.

Justthetip- You're playing favorites with the Americans, I like it. Would love to see Doederlin win it all, and with wins over Farias and Musumeci this year, I wouldn't even call it an upset.

Also, with Mendes bros gone, Keenan out with knee injury, no Guto Campos, no Frazatto, JT out with his new academy... could be a rough year for Atos. Really it's up to Ary and Galvao.

20/month if you pay month to month. 12.50/month if you pay 150 up front for a yearly subscription, which gives you access to all Flo sites. Both are worth it, so much content.

20/month if you pay month to month. 12.50/month if you pay 150 up front for a yearly subscription, which gives you access to all Flo sites. Both are worth it, so much content.

Its $29 now. Painful

Without Gabi or Dominyka, it is prime time.

Unless Tayane gets injured I don't see any girl winning it.
Tayane is as heavy a Gabi was but is actually skilled and moves well. Being really fat and fast is a killer combo for bjj.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back