2017 Sherdog Boxing end of year Awards

cuban23

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Name em, here are mine:

Robbery of the Year: N'Jikam Def. Murata SD. There are some interesting choices for this category but that one sticks out as by far the worst. Thankfully, Murata got his revenge in the rematch and pummeled N'jikam so badly that his corner had to throw in the towel.

Upset of the Year: Caleb Truax Def. James Degale. You can go multiple ways here, Pac vs. Horn, Chocolatito vs. Sor Rungvisai. Truax is a journey fighter who was brought in as a tune up for Degale coming off a huge layoff. He'd been stopped twice before once at MW and then again in one round by Dirrell. He didn't belong in the same ring as DeGale, yet he came in and worked him over.

Fight of the Year: Joshua vs. Klitschko. It's rare for massive fights to deliver. This one did.

Knockout of the Year: Tete KO Gonya in 1 round. So many options to choose from here. Lemieux vs. Stevens, Charlo vs. Lubin, Benavidez vs. Medina, etc. I went with Tete because it was a title fight and how quickly it happened.

Breakout fighter of the Year:
Srisaket Sor Rungvisai

2017 Fighter of the year: Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, aka King Sor. Knocked out the no.1 P4P in the world, after beating him earlier in the year. No other fighter had a more significant win, other than Loma beating Rigo. But this year belongs to King Sor.

We should wait for next year before we do this, the Japanese NYE show tends to produce some solid contenders and we still have nearly two weeks to go anyhow.

We should wait for next year before we do this, the Japanese NYE show tends to produce some solid contenders and we still have nearly two weeks to go anyhow.

But none of those fights are significant imo.

Only upset of the year. The other categories are already locked up.
ehhh we'll see, NYE has provided us some pretty good fights and KOs before. Just seems unfair to cut out two weeks of fighting from consideration.

Robbery of the Year: GGG vs Canelo, clearly GGG won that fight. I'm a Canelo fan but GGG was dominating him

Upset of the Year: Pacquiao Losing to Horndawg

Fight of the Year: Joshua vs. Klitschko. No questions here.

Knockout of the Year: Charlo KOing Lubin

Jerwin Ancajas the little Filipinio is a beast

2017 Fighter of the year: Jeff Horn. Beat all time Great Manny Pacquiao, Beat future hall of famer Gary Corcoran and beat his own dick off about how clean and good he is. Fuck I hate Jeff Horn.

Robbery of the Year: GGG vs Canelo, clearly GGG won that fight. I'm a Canelo fan but GGG was dominating him

Upset of the Year: Pacquiao Losing to Horndawg

Fight of the Year: Joshua vs. Klitschko. No questions here.

Knockout of the Year: Charlo KOing Lubin

Jerwin Ancajas the little Filipinio is a beast

2017 Fighter of the year: Jeff Horn. Beat all time Great Manny Pacquiao, Beat future hall of famer Gary Corcoran and beat his own dick off about how clean and good he is. Fuck I hate Jeff Horn.

as an australian, i agree, horn is pure cancer

Robbery: Rances Barthelemy vs Kyril Relikh, Barthelemy was getting battered non stop, had no punch output, somehow walked away w/ the decision.......Canelo-GGG a very close second

Upset: Pac vs Horn,.....Don't really consider Choc-SSR 1 much of an upset. Chocalatito looked like shit for 2-3 fights prior to losing to SSR, shouldn't have been THAT surprising that he lost. On the flipside, Pacman still looked great against Vargas. Nobody expected such a steep fall.

FOTY: Joshua - Klitschko....no real competition

KOTY: Garcia-Zlaticanin,...devastating uppercut and clean finish with the lead right.

Breakout Fighter: Naoya Inoue, great superfly US debut. All the mythical status rumblings looked true, his name recognition shot up dramatically in 2017.

Fighter of the Year: Tempted to say Bud Crawford, since he became first undisputed champ in 12 years, but i have to take into account the relative weakness of 140.

Final answer is Anthony Joshua,....in terms of unifying the HW division, the magnitude of the Klistchko fight, and the size of all his fights in buzz and attendance. Break through year for him, he really separated himself.

Last edited:
But none of those fights are significant imo.

There's a unification in there. That's petty significant.
When it comes to the lower weights, Japan is very much significant. Not to mention any of them could be upsets. What do you do if Inoue gets KO'd or robbed? The same way Murata or Yamanaka was?

Back