Social The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season (Harvey/Irma/Maria PBP)

I just got back from Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago and man it looks very uncared for. Graffiti was everywhere and I mean everywhere. I was particularly struck by huge graffiti sings saying “free Puerto Rico”, “wake up my Puerto Rican’s”, and “when will Puerto Rico be given to the people”....

Puerto Rico Officials Investigated for Corruption During Hurricane Relief
By Joshua Philipp, The Epoch Times | June 12, 2018​

GettyImages-855911042-550x330.jpg

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz speaks to the media as she arrives at the temporary government center setup at the Roberto Clemente Stadium in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria on Sept. 30, 2017 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Corruption in Puerto Rico may have been the cause of U.S. relief supplies not reaching those in need following Hurricane Maria in September 2017.

The administration of San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz (D), who made headlines for her criticisms of President Donald Trump’s handling of the relief efforts, is now being investigated for alleged corruption.

According to a local news report from El Vocero de Puerto Rico, the FBI is investigating several suppliers for alleged corruption in San Juan.

It says the investigation was launched after former procurement director Yadira Molina filed a lawsuit claiming she faced punishment for reporting illegal activities to the local comptroller. The investigation has since grown to include several contractors.

“On February 21, Molina sued the city council after reporting alleged acts of corruption in the shopping division in the town hall under the administration of Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz Soto,” the report says.

The complaint states that Molina was blocked from her right “to report wrongdoing in her capacity as a private citizen, not as a public employee.” It says she was retaliated against for reporting an allegedly rigged system and was fired for attempting to report corruption, and includes other additional claims.

There were many reports following the hurricane that U.S. supplies were trapped in the ports, with local corruption preventing proper distribution. The claims were largely dismissed by legacy news outlets as conspiracy, and were used to frame Trump’s relief efforts in a negative light. The Trump administration later bypassed local officials, and the U.S. military began delivering the goods directly.

Carlos Osorio, the FBI media representative at the San Juan field office, told The Epoch Times in October 2017 that the FBI received several complaints of alleged corruption in the distribution of relief goods, and that the FBI is required to look into criminal complaints.

https://m.theepochtimes.com/puerto-...rruption-during-hurricane-relief_2560097.html

Last edited:
Carmen Yulin Cruz of the "Trump didn't send any help" fame is at it again.

Puerto Rico's new Hurricane Maria death toll revised from 64 to 2,975

By Leyla Santiago, Catherine E. Shoichet and Jason Kravarik, CNN | Tue August 28, 2018

180703225159-puerto-rico-fema-exlarge-169.jpg

Puerto Rico's government raised its official Hurricane Maria death toll to 2,975 on Tuesday in the wake of a new estimate from researchers.

The new figure is 46 times larger than the previous toll the Puerto Rican government released in December 2017, when officials said 64 people had died as a result of the storm.

It comes on the same day researchers from George Washington University revealed findings from a study on storm-related deaths commissioned by the US commonwealth's government.

"This is unprecedented devastation," Gov. Ricardo Rossello told reporters.

But the new death toll is only an approximation, not a concrete list of names, Rossello said.

Moving forward, he said, officials will continue to investigate deaths from the storm and refine the official tally.

"This number can change," he said. "It could be less, it could be more, as time passes."

It could take months or years, he said, to come up with a complete list of storm-related deaths.

"We are using the best science available ... to be able to give a sense of closure to all of this," he said. "The truth is there is a lot of work to do."

The official toll matters in part because families of those who died in the aftermath of the storm are eligible to have some funeral expenses covered by the US government. Experts say higher death tolls drive more disaster aid. And knowing precisely how and why people died can help authorities prevent future hurricane-related deaths.

A key question: Will this new figure -- stemming from a study conducted at the request of Puerto Rican officials -- provide any closure to families that have long argued their loved ones died because of the storm but hadn't received any official acknowledgment?

A new study

Researchers from George Washington University released a study earlier Tuesday, calculating excess deaths that occurred in the US commonwealth between September 2017 and February 2018.
The study, commissioned after the September 2017 storm, followed a number of others like it.

And recently, the Puerto Rican government had quietly admitted the official toll was higher than its December 2017 tally. In a report to Congress earlier this month, the US commonwealth said documents show that 1,427 more deaths occurred in the four months after the storm than "normal," compared with deaths that occurred the previous four years.
But the latest estimate was even higher.

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz blamed President Donald Trump, the federal government and Puerto Rican officials for failing to provide adequate assistance in the aftermath of the storm.

"It's 2,975 people, and they're still calling it an estimate -- 2,975 people that will never see the light of day, and many of them died because of what was done by the administration and that was silently approved by most of the political class in Puerto Rico," Cruz told CNN on Wednesday.

"The administration killed the Puerto Ricans with neglect," she added. "The Trump administration led us to believe they were helping when they weren't up to par, and they didn't allow other countries to help us. ... Shame on President Trump."

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Trump "remains proud of all of the work the Federal family undertook to help our fellow citizens in Puerto Rico," according to a statement issued after Tuesday's release of the new death toll estimate.

To that, Cruz asked, "What is there to be proud of? 2,970 dead. Is that what he's proud of?"

Researchers behind George Washington University's study said they felt they were able to provide a more accurate estimate because they took into account additional factors such as migration.

"I do think this study helps to validate that sense that many people had that there were just too many deaths," said Lynn Goldman, dean of the university's Milken Institute School of Public Health.
But she also stressed that Tuesday's report marks only the first phase of the study.

"In the next phase, we would like to dig down deeper into that number to understand among all the deaths that occurred, which of them were related to Maria, which of them would not have occurred if it hadn't been for the storm? We're not able to say that now," Goldman said.

She acknowledged that a complete list may never be possible.

"At the end of the day," she said, "we may never be able to fully identify all those 2,975 people."

Last edited:

Im not surprised.

Puerto Rico is gorgeous, full of people with heart who are survivors, creative, funny and lively. And ran by politicians who have outright betrayed them for decades.

Since the utterly incompetent and petty Computer Fogie took issues with my Japan's Natural Disasters thread and actually dumped it after he got embarrassed by other posters who called out his useless posts in it, I have decided to make the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season PBP thread in the Mayberry this time instead, away from the partisan noise.

Tune in there for the latest updates and discussions on the approaching Hurricane Florence.

Last edited:
Always like your pbp. Not aure how you find all this info.

Always like your pbp. Not aure how you find all this info.

Once you make it a habit to ignore all the partisan noises, rage baits, and generally fake news, meaningful headlines then floats to the top.

These were transferred from FEMA to the Puerto Rican government a year ago:

Since the utterly incompetent and petty Computer Fogie took issues with my Japan's Natural Disasters thread and actually dumped it after he got embarrassed by other posters who called out his useless posts in it, I have decided to make the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season PBP thread in the Mayberry this time instead, away from the partisan noise.

Tune in there for the latest updates and discussions on the approaching Hurricane Florence.
can you provide evidence of the things you say fogie did? He is unbiased and one the most even keeled mod on here.

That triggers me

Puerto Rico now say those hundreds of thousands of water bottles was delivered to P.R too early and they went bad in the hot summer weather.

Keep in mind that according to protocol, the distribution of FEMA-delivered emergency relief supplies from staging areas is the responsibility of the territory's government, and the Puerto Rican governor actually insisted on running the show.

Last edited:
Puerto Rico now say those hundreds of thousands of water bottles was delivered to P.R too early and they went bad in the hot weather.

Keep in mind that according to protocol, the distribution of FEMA-delivered relief supplies from staging areas is the responsibility of the territory's government, and the Puerto Rican governor actually insisted on running the show.
we had water bottles out year round in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, where I live I now in the Mojave Desert, etc..

and they don't 'go bad' in the heat hahahaha
or if they did none of us noticed as we drank them all day

Puerto Rico now say those hundreds of thousands of water bottles was delivered to P.R too early and they went bad in the hot summer weather.

Keep in mind that according to protocol, the distribution of FEMA-delivered emergency relief supplies from staging areas is the responsibility of the territory's government, and the Puerto Rican governor actually insisted on running the show.

This all reminds me of Haiti in 2010

@HunterSdVa29
I spent some time growing up in Lancaster / Palmdale for a few years after moving up from "down below".
Every day felt like Friday the 13th there. Place was a toilet then, and I hear it's even worse now.
I went to AV High, (what a shit school) before migrating north to Santa Cruz, then eventually up near Tahoe.
I do miss the desert, though. It's awesome, especially at night.

Anyway, I've never heard of water going bad in the heat, it looks like another ruse to blame Trump for something, anything.

I could've sworn we weren't doing enough to help?! But now we sent too much too early? LOLOL

Back