Social The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season (Harvey/Irma/Maria PBP)

Just what south eastern Texas needs now. My relatives sent me this wonderful news. He's an avid sail boat owner.

"New hurricane Irma in Atlantic is east of Antilles and Puerto Rico. It's a Cat 2 and seems to be following the same track that Harvey did. "

Looks like Irma is spinning up and headed westward...

This is crazy!

N.png

http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

*EDIT* @PEB beat me to it.

Still too soon to tell, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

----
Hurricane Irma forms in Atlantic, forecast to reach 'extremely dangerous' Category 4 strength

Doyle Rice, USA TODAY Published 10:51 a.m. ET Aug. 31, 2017

The forecasts of a busy Atlantic hurricane season are proving accurate.

As Harvey wanes to a depression, a new hurricane, Irma, has fired up in the central Atlantic Ocean, the National Hurricane Center said Thursday.

The hurricane was rated a Category 2 with 100-mph winds, and it is forecast to roar into an "extremely dangerous" major hurricane over the next several days.

As of 11 a.m. ET, Irma was located about 1,845 miles east of the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean.

It poses no immediate threat to land and its eventual track remains highly uncertain as is typical for storms this far out to sea.

Irma will take about a week to trek west across the Atlantic Ocean, AccuWeather said.

Possibilities range from a landfall on the Leeward Islands in the northeastern Caribbean to the Carolinas and the island nation of Bermuda - and everything in between, according to AccuWeather.

Meanwhile, closer to home, the hurricane center is also watching a separate area of disturbed weather in the western Gulf of Mexico, one that could spin up into a tropical depression or storm in the next five days.

"Development, if any, of this system is expected to be slow to occur as the low moves slowly northward," the hurricane center said. "If this system does develop, it could bring additional rainfall to portions of the Texas and Louisiana coasts."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weat...dangerous-major-hurricane-strength/620069001/

Still too soon to tell, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

----
Hurricane Irma forms in Atlantic, forecast to reach 'extremely dangerous' Category 4 strength

Doyle Rice, USA TODAY Published 10:51 a.m. ET Aug. 31, 2017

The forecasts of a busy Atlantic hurricane season are proving accurate.

As Harvey wanes to a depression, a new hurricane, Irma, has fired up in the central Atlantic Ocean, the National Hurricane Center said Thursday.

The hurricane was rated a Category 2 with 100-mph winds, and it is forecast to roar into an "extremely dangerous" major hurricane over the next several days.

As of 11 a.m. ET, Irma was located about 1,845 miles east of the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean.

It poses no immediate threat to land and its eventual track remains highly uncertain as is typical for storms this far out to sea.

Irma will take about a week to trek west across the Atlantic Ocean, AccuWeather said.

Possibilities range from a landfall on the Leeward Islands in the northeastern Caribbean to the Carolinas and the island nation of Bermuda - and everything in between, according to AccuWeather.

Meanwhile, closer to home, the hurricane center is also watching a separate area of disturbed weather in the western Gulf of Mexico, one that could spin up into a tropical depression or storm in the next five days.

"Development, if any, of this system is expected to be slow to occur as the low moves slowly northward," the hurricane center said. "If this system does develop, it could bring additional rainfall to portions of the Texas and Louisiana coasts."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weat...dangerous-major-hurricane-strength/620069001/

Damn, I was in Houston for a few hours last month and worked there for a week. I used to joke about how it's the worst city I've ever visited, can't believe such a huge city is flooded like this. It flooded some places in NOLA when I was there but that's typical from what I hear.

A livestream of people bringing pets out, with owners not knowing if they are alive or dead.

I wonder if this will influence the administrations decision to make cuts to FEMA and the Coast Guard. This situation shows how vital they are.

For those of us that live on the Eastern coast and near the water, PLEASE get flood insurance. I'm about 2 hours away from Atlanta, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

For those of us that live on the Eastern coast and near the water, PLEASE get flood insurance. I'm about 2 hours away from Atlanta, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
What is your local meteorologists saying about the track Irma is taking? Are you in the crosshairs?

What is your local meteorologists saying about the track Irma is taking? Are you in the crosshairs?

Right now it's too soon to tell. I'm just gathering some supplies and keeping an eye out.

Back