NCAA Wrestling

I'm sure the US Greco coaches are fine but most of our talent starts off in College wrestling and most of the coaches (and regional training centers) have a Freestyle background such as Cael Sanderson, Tom/Terry Brands, John Smith, Zeke Jones, Rob Koll, Mark Manning, Pat Santoro etc...

Off the top of my head the only big time US coach that had a Greco Background was J Robinson who did coach Garret Lowney in Minn where he was Olympic Bronze Medalist at the age of 20 or 21.
Bobby Douglas also made a few Greco world teams.
Im always interested in this discussion about the state of Greco in the US. Dennis hall has pointed out that we should be encouraging more top wrestlers to try Greco as he believes many of them have the ability to do well on the world stage. So many of our best freestyle guys have fantastic Greco backgrounds pre-College. Brent Metcalf, Daniel Cormier, Henry Cejudo, Kyle Dake, JD Bergman, Jon Reader, Mike Zadick, etc etc have all won the Greco side at Fargo, FILA Juniors/cadets, and/or junior/cadet world team trials. And now Matt lindland is actually trying to innovate a little and try things that should've been tried a long time ago. I tend to believe that Dennis Hall is right and that most guys who do well in freestyle could probably do well in Greco. Interestingly, one of his main training partners was Terry Brands for a few years and they both did extremely well. You are starting to see a shift towards that perception. You got Ben Provisor made a permanent move to the Nittany Lions Club which as you pointed out, is a freestyle club. Mason Manville, Adam Coon, and others competing in both styles at a high level. Kamal Bey passing on College scholarships to wrestle Greco. Im very curious to see the state of USA Greco in a few years.

Last edited:
I'm sure the US Greco coaches are fine but most of our talent starts off in College wrestling and most of the coaches (and regional training centers) have a Freestyle background such as Cael Sanderson, Tom/Terry Brands, John Smith, Zeke Jones, Rob Koll, Mark Manning, Pat Santoro etc...

Off the top of my head the only big time US coach that had a Greco Background was J Robinson who did coach Garret Lowney in Minn where he was Olympic Bronze Medalist at the age of 20 or 21.
So there is no such thing as college greco? Just Greco in smaller tournaments, then to nationals etc?

What about women's wrestling? They train and compete in school/college folkstyle too?

So there is no such thing as college greco? Just Greco in smaller tournaments, then to nationals etc?

What about women's wrestling? They train and compete in school/college folkstyle too?

College is folkstyle only, that's what gets you scholarship.

Most of the Big College programs have freestyle club (Regional Training Center) they associate with where the guys train freestyle in the off-season. Right now Akgul is in Ohio training with the Ohio ETC.

I think most Grreco guys train in Colorado or join the military and compete for the armed forces.

Women's wrestling at the college level is freestyle.

When he NCAA recognises women's wrestling, it will be freestyle.

The NCAA will then state that they are promoting Olympic sports

Coon is a monster, 6'5" 285... I can see why Snyder was gassed after the first round. I wonder if Coon will go the Stephen Neal route and try out for the NFL, hopefully it's after a strong international wrestling career though.

Coon is a graduate student in aerospace engineering. He will likely get picked up by NASA or Lockheed

Moore losing again has to tone down Cassar's win a bit and with Rasheed wrestling today I assume it's his spot.

And it looks like McKenna is back and it really seems like there are 8 guys with a legit shot to win 141.

Took off work March 15 and 16, can't wait for NCAAs.

Last edited:
The interview is about 46mins and is interesting. Really messes with your image you have in your head of what ol’ flap sounds like. Lol

I feel like a lot of the bullshit accounts there are the same 1-2 guys. I don't think I've ever read more than 3 lines of one of Mudflap's threads. The only thing that I ever got a kick out of was the "stabbin cabin" line.

The interview is about 46mins and is interesting. Really messes with your image you have in your head of what ol’ flap sounds like. Lol

They need to do an interview with ole Cleetus. That dude his me in stitches constantly.

My realistic/pessimistic “coach” view of tOSU after regular season
125: 2nd-3rd
133: 5th
141: 2nd-4th
149: 7th-5th
157: 8th-5th
165: 2-2
174: 4th
184: 2nd-3rd
197- 4th
285- 2nd
Vs PSU

125: 2-2
133: 1-2
141: 3rd-5th (most upside)
149: 1st/3rd (will score team points equivalent to someone getting 1st and 3rd with just decisions)
157: 7th-5th (middle ground because so little is actually known)
165: 1st-2nd (if he stops doing JV headlocks)
174: 2nd
184: 1st
197: 5th-2nd
285: 5th

197 is such a clusterfuck right now. In my eyes, it's a 3 horse race with Moore, Darmstadt, and Rasheed leading the pack but so much can happen and none of it would surprise me.

My take on Penn State...(ceiling/realistic)

125 - 2-2/1-2
133 - 3-2/2-2
141 - 4th/7th
149 - 1st
157 - 1st/1st although it's still a big question contingent on his health
165 - 1st/2nd
174 - 1st/2nd
184 - 1st
197 - 1st/3rd
HWT - 3rd/3rd

I hope the European championships will be good this year. It is in Kyzlyar lol. Crazy wrestling city.

I hope the European championships will be good this year. It is in Kyzlyar lol. Crazy wrestling city.

Is that where they throw gay people from the tops of buildings while keeping little boys as sex slaves?

Is that where they throw gay people from the tops of buildings while keeping little boys as sex slaves?
No... that sounds like a mix of Afghanistan and Chechnya, I have never been to Dagestan (only to Ossetia in Caucasian mountain range - which is a orthodox christian republic, Ossetia is 100% okay).

But I have no idea; however, I once saw an interesting video of a man in Dagestan suplexing a transexual/or a man wearing women's clothing on concrete...

But I have no idea; however, I once saw an interesting video of a man in Dagestan suplexing a transexual/or a man wearing women's clothing on concrete...

uu9pmDP.gif

Wait uh no, uh I mean
giphy.gif

Hahahahaha

The closest association between College and Greco is the University of Northern Michigan. It gives wrestlers who wanna pursue Greco a chance to receive a scholarship of sorts to receive an education AND train Greco at the highest level. Adam Wheeler, Spenser mango, and other top US Greco guys came through this program.

Back