NCAA Wrestling

We've wrestled Brooks' team every year, needless to say, he's a freak of nature. Hope he picks Ohio State

So reading between the lines, my take on the Suriano situation is he felt he was healthy enough to go and Cael wouldn't let him. He comments about feeling robbed out of a title as part of the reason he wanted to move to the utterly dominant wrestling powerhouse known as Rutgers. At this point, it's the only thing that makes sense in my mind. That and he just didn't quite fit in with team culture.

So reading between the lines, my take on the Suriano situation is he felt he was healthy enough to go and Cael wouldn't let him. He comments about feeling robbed out of a title as part of the reason he wanted to move to the utterly dominant wrestling powerhouse known as Rutgers. At this point, it's the only thing that makes sense in my mind. That and he just didn't quite fit in with team culture.

He probably wasn't religious either. Seems like most of the guys on the guy are part of Team Jesus.

All in all, let's go Nittany Lions!!

Plus 5 teammates from HS are at Rutgers. I think he just fits in better with that Guido mentality lol

I also think that his dad is behind the scenes pulling the strings.

Plus 5 teammates from HS are at Rutgers. I think he just fits in better with that Guido mentality lol

I also think that his dad is behind the scenes pulling the strings.

I agree with this. I also think that while Bergen Catholic was a very good team, he was the star. He's just another guy on Penn State and wasn't used to that. Why else would he go to Rutgers and not Lehigh or a team that's actually decent?

I agree with this. I also think that while Bergen Catholic was a very good team, he was the star. He's just another guy on Penn State and wasn't used to that. Why else would he go to Rutgers and not Lehigh or a team that's actually decent?

This is low blow to Rutgers imo. Pritzlaff is an excellent coach, Delvecchio at 133 is ranked 11th in the nation by flo, We all know about AA at 141, Richie Lewis ranked 7th at 157 and Pagano ranked 14th at 174.

They finished 19th last year with 2 AAs (Same amount as Lehigh).

Rutger's isn't PSU or as good as Lehigh yet but they are without a doubt a "Decent" program.

And with Mega gone he seems to have better training partners at RU as well.

Point being, he could have transferred to many better places than Rutgers without issue. Ashnault will be the only guy to challenge him in the room this season and there is a pretty big size differential there. I'd also put Keener on the same level as Delvecchio. Keener is multiple time NCAA qualifier. Delvecchio only has one. Next season, Penn State has RBY and Teasdale coming in, both of which will offer better training opportunities.

What are his grades like? I dont think Ive seen that mentioned anywhere during this whole mess but it may have played a factor in where he choose to transfer to.

Im not sure I buy the big fish/small pond theory. Prior to the injury he was the freshman most likely to win a title (IMO) for that team and had been getting plenty of headlines all year.

Im putting my money on homesick/not on team jesus.

To be fair Rutgers did beat Lehigh 2 seasons ago and Delvecchio actually twice qualified for NCAAs. Certainly NS had other options for schools on the east coast VA Tech, NC St., Cornell but Rutgers was probably the closest to home.

Personally I'm pretty excited to see him compete this season in the RAC and now Rutgers has a pretty solid lineup in the lighter weights. Giraldo at 149 is no slouch either. Sucks Ashnault is injured and missing the beginning part of the season but really hope he takes his time getting back on the mat and is 100% by the time the tournament roles around. Hopefully it doesn't hurt his seed too bad depending on how many matches he actually wrestles. Seems like they have been harsher seeding kids the past couple of years that sit out part of the season.

Doesn't Tyler Graff train at SKWC too?

Point being, he could have transferred to many better places than Rutgers without issue. Ashnault will be the only guy to challenge him in the room this season and there is a pretty big size differential there. I'd also put Keener on the same level as Delvecchio. Keener is multiple time NCAA qualifier. Delvecchio only has one. Next season, Penn State has RBY and Teasdale coming in, both of which will offer better training opportunities.

He wanted to go home. That's why he went there.

I just saw that the Georgian heavyweight is only 23 and he won his first world medal at 19.

Crazy

The guy who beat Akgul in the world finals in the greatest heavyweight match in history.
Ah damn, yes. I didn't read your comment correctly. You are talking about Geno Petriashvili. He is agile for a 125 guy, I seen some guys at 97 couldn't move half as fast. He has a really nice gut wrench too, I remember he got a bronze at last year's olympics for gut wrenching Tervel (I forgot his name) in around 30 seconds - really impressive. No other 125er can match Akgul and Petriashvili.

Ah damn, yes. I didn't read your comment correctly. You are talking about Geno Petriashvili. He is agile for a 125 guy, I seen some guys at 97 couldn't move half as fast. He has a really nice gut wrench too, I remember he got a bronze at last year's olympics for gut wrenching Tervel (I forgot his name) in around 30 seconds - really impressive. No other 125er can match Akgul and Petriashvili.

Get Adam Coon back doing freestyle instead of Greco....

Get Adam Coon back doing freestyle instead of Greco....

Ouch, what a mistake. He was more or less controlling that match until he got pinned. But yeah.. I don't see why you would switch from freestyle to greco in the US, seeing how the current greco situation is... I wonder how good Cook would have done at the worlds this year, as USA had a pretty stellar showing.

Agree. Coon needs to stay with greco. He's not getting by Gwiz and then we have Gable coming in right behind him in a few years.

Agree. Coon needs to stay with greco. He's not getting by Gwiz and then we have Gable coming in right behind him in a few years.

This is very true, although he's a guy certainly capable of doing extremely well at both sides(was a double bronze medalist a few yrs ago at junior worlds in free and Greco). But he did lose in the OTT finals to Robbie Smith last year so he's primed to takeover once Robbie is done.

Back