NCAA Wrestling

@youngsteinel @Te Huna Matata

What's the deal with Gavin? I've seen a lot of people say "weak hire" and he's an asshole but I don't know any of the stories behind that.

I just remember him always giving Herbert a hard time at WTTs and OTTs when Herbert was the man at that weight.

I've known Keith for 15 years. He was in my district. We wrestled in the same club. He's a few years older than me and was bigger than me at the time so we never wrestled but he's just arrogant and I don't think his personality is suited for being a coach and recruiting for a living.

Wow, Gavin doesn't seem like the type of guy to be an asshole. Maybe he's change being at Virginia for a few years and I know the coaches there are pretty "religious" and possibly knocked some sense into him.

Wow, Gavin doesn't seem like the type of guy to be an asshole. Maybe he's change being at Virginia for a few years and I know the coaches there are pretty "religious" and possibly knocked some sense into him.

Now maybe he's grown up. We're talking about when he was 17/18 and I was 14/15. But I was not alone in this opinion among the club. He had 2-3 guys who he'd talk to (Dave Morgan being one of the few thinking about it...3x D3 National Champ and now an MMA fighter) but if you were outside that circle, he wouldn't give you the time of day.

There no FS/Greco sticky this year?

We can just post in here and make it the wrestling thread.

On a different note, rumor that PSU is adding a high caliber 133 to the mix. The rich get richer they say.

Next cycle NCAA D1 championships announced earlier today

2019-Pittsburgh
2020-Minneapolis(Will be at US Bank Stadium, first Football Arena since UNI-Dome)
2021-St Louis
2022-Detroit

Overall I really like the next cycle and excited( especially MN being at the Stadium and I have family from MN) but really disappointed that Orlando(which made a bid) or somewhere in the West Coast.

Other bad news-Boise State has dropped Wrestling immediately.

Last edited:

2019-Pittsburgh
2020-Minneapolis(Will be at TD Bank Stadium, first Football Arena since UNI-Dome)
2021-St Louis
2022-Detroit

Overall I really like the next cycle and excited( especially MN being at the Stadium and I have family from MN) but really disappointed that Orlando(which made a bid) or somewhere in the West Coast.

If my schedule stays like it is now. I'll certainly make 3 of the 4

2019-Pittsburgh
2020-Minneapolis(Will be at US Bank Stadium, first Football Arena since UNI-Dome)
2021-St Louis
2022-Detroit

Welp, I guess I'll be in the stands in 2019. No way I'm missing Bo and Nolf's swan song.

World team trials and us open next weekend. Who you guys got

Once I see the field, I'll throw out my thoughts.

Minneapolis 6 hours, St. Louis 4 hours, Detroit 5 hours. Will attend. Gonna try for Pitt

I am just going to assume the guys who will be at the Open
57Kg-Graff or Ramos
61kg-Stieber
66kg-Oliver
70kg-James Green
74kg- 50/50 between Burroughs and Dake. I think Dake may finally be able to do it because he will wrestle a Burroughs who had to go through the tournament which he hasn't done in a long time.
86kg-Taylor
97kg-Snyder
125kg-Gwiz? Zach Rey? Dom Bradley?

Now maybe he's grown up. We're talking about when he was 17/18 and I was 14/15. But I was not alone in this opinion among the club. He had 2-3 guys who he'd talk to (Dave Morgan being one of the few thinking about it...3x D3 National Champ and now an MMA fighter) but if you were outside that circle, he wouldn't give you the time of day.

I remember Dave Morgan. I think there was a year where him, Mike sees, Erik Frick from Nazareth and Bryan Rizzo from Easton were all in the same region at the same weight and I think they were all ranked in the nation at one point. Only 3 qualify for states and Rizzo was the odd man out that year.

I remember Dave Morgan. I think there was a year where him, Mike sees, Erik Frick from Nazareth and Bryan Rizzo from Easton were all in the same region at the same weight and I think they were all ranked in the nation at one point. Only 3 qualify for states and Rizzo was the odd man out that year.

http://live.pa-wrestling.com/pdfs/2002_North_East_AAA_results.pdf

119lbs

NE region always got the shortstick. Only the top 3 qualified. They eventually changed it for AAA but never for AA in my time wrestling. I think it's now top 4 for both though.

One more fun fact...Morgan's school, West Scranton dropped down to AA my junior year much to my detriment. Their guy at my weight beat me in the semis at districts and I ended up taking 3rd. Both guys who placed ahead of me made it to states. I would have had a decent shot at making it if he wasn't there. Would have had a better draw at regionals.

3 years in a row I ran into Chase Beebe first round at IL fs state tournament. Hated that guy

3 years in a row I ran into Chase Beebe first round at IL fs state tournament. Hated that guy

I guess the biggest names I ever wrestled were Jared Platt and Ziad Haddad.

Platt is one of 2 people that I can remember that teched me. We wrestled in an off season tournament before my sophomore year. He wrestled for Blair and then Penn State. He was a prep national champ. Just passed away from cancer a few months back sadly. Took me down, trapped my arm, and tilted the shit out of me. I don't think I lasted 3 minutes with him.

Haddad was a 2x D2 Champ @ HW for Kutztown and a 2x PIAA champ. I was a senior and he was a sophomore. Think I beat him 7-2. He hit me with a really nice fireman's to start the match. I reversed him, put in legs, and racked up some points.

@Te Huna Matata I got to share a wrestling room for most of my life with Izzy Martinez. Fuck him too. Best thing he did was mentor Tony Ramos.
I've heard similar things about him and especially that he's "that" coach that completely ignores anyone who can't get him hardware or recognition and that if you get good he's suddenly your best friend and biggest believer

I've heard similar things about him and especially that he's "that" coach that completely ignores anyone who can't get him hardware or recognition and that if you get good he's suddenly your best friend and biggest believer
Pretty much. He really not a nice guy, never has been. Got kicked out of our high school for threatening faculty. And I'm willing to bet my house he was a part of Jon jones partying when he was affiliated with Jackson/wink

Pretty much. He really not a nice guy, never has been. Got kicked out of our high school for threatening faculty. And I'm willing to bet my house he was a part of Jon jones partying when he was affiliated with Jackson/wink

There was somebody that used to post here that wrestled at Cal Poly and said the same thing about Mark Perry.

Back