NCAA Wrestling

Lujan/Epperly match was great.

I think it's Penn State's year again. Too many bonus points at NCAAs for another team to catch them.

I think PSU wins too. Iowa and tOSU have a shot though.

Guilibon lost to some unranked guy Ive never heard of from EMU yesterday. His lack of D1 success is really confusing to me. I thought he was a sure thing coming out of HS.

Last edited:
Haven't seen this thread until today hence my lack of activity. My take, there are only 2 teams who have a real shot. Penn State and Ohio State are the 2 best teams in the country. Everyone else is chasing 3rd. I think PSU is clearly the front runner but OHST has a very good shot at clipping them.

Penn State:
Nolf and Zain bonus their way through the tournament. Zain has a real shot to bonus his way through the entire season even though no one (to my knowledge) has ever done that.
Nickal is the only one who has a reasonable shot to clip a 100% Dean. Dean should win but Bo has what it takes. This weight is fucking stupid though so I really could see anything happening. Despite all that, if Bo finishes outside the top 2, I'll be very surprised.
Suriano could finish as high as 2 imo. Don't see him going lower than 5 though.
Cenzo showed tonight that he can go top 3-4. His early loss to whoeever the fuck he lost to was an anomaly imo. Tried too many high amplitude moves and got stuck 2x early as a result.
Nevills beat DeJournette who is a stud tonight. I think he's a safe bet to be a #5-8 AA. Don't think he'll crack the top 4 though.
Cortez could go anywhere from blood round to #5. I think 5 is his ceiling. Doubt he checks out before the blood round though.
Cutch or Cassar are both unknowns. Everyone is high on Cassar because of his FS resume but he's proven dick in folk and I think Cutch keeps the spot throughout the season. I could see him gong 2-2 or I could see him being a mid-AA. Weight is softer than baby diarrhea though.
Been calling for Corey to take the spot over Morelli all year. I think he has a higher ceiling. 74 is WEAK. I think he can pretty easily be a 5-8 guy.
Guilibon just shit the bed today. Other Penn State fans are calling for his head and Moss to take the spot. I think Jimmy has to keep the spot though. He loses some head scratchers but he's also beaten some guys no one thought he should.

Ohio State
Snyder...lol. Walks though everyone
Tomasello will be top 3 at worst. I favor Clark @ 133 but think those 2 plus Richards are very clearly the class of the weight.
BoJo wins a very weak 174. Zahid's conditioning and mat wrestling look like shit right now. Won't make the strides he needs to to clip BoJo. No one else has the talent.
Micah may not get pinned by Zain. He's that good. I see him top 3-5. He's for real.
Hayes is a major x-factor for them. He has the talent. I could see him top 3. I could see him checking out early. Still too many unknowns but I think highly of him.
Rodriguez could score points. He could go 2 and out. Still too early to tell.
Moore is similar to Rodriguez. Potential but unproven.
Ryan is probably in the high AA range but could miss altogether. Still yet to be seen.
Whomever goes 165 is a lost cause. Likely 0 point scored.
That brings me to 184. Yes he Forrest Gump'd his way into a title last season. But I legitimately believe he won't AA this season. 84 is too talented and I don't think he's on that level. There are many guys who I think get the better of MyMar. Still too early to tell but I don't see this move being good for him.

I'll talk about other teams when I'm more sober.

Ive been watching Rasheed wrestle for a long time. My parents live near the HS he went to so Ive been following his career. His upside is huge. With 174 being fairly weak I could see him top 5 by the end of year. He also likes to put guys on their backs so he is going to score bonus as well.

The things about PSU that give some pause:
184 is brutal. Nickal will still place, and probably top 4, but Im not sure he can be as wide open and score as much as he did against the guys at 174.
Can Nevills stay healthy? Also how is he a SO? I feel like he left High School twenty years ago.
I was never huge on McCutcheon and even less so at 197 although it isn't the toughest weight.
Guilbon is a constant WTF to me.

Nolf and Retherford will score enough to equal a third person though.

Ive been watching Rasheed wrestle for a long time. My parents live near the HS he went to so Ive been following his career. His upside is huge. With 174 being fairly weak I could see him top 5 by the end of year. He also likes to put guys on their backs so he is going to score bonus as well.

The things about PSU that give some pause:
184 is brutal. Nickal will still place, and probably top 4, but Im not sure he can be as wide open and score as much as he did against the guys at 174.
Can Nevills stay healthy? Also how is he a SO? I feel like he left High School twenty years ago.
I was never huge on McCutcheon and even less so at 197 although it isn't the toughest weight.
Guilbon is a constant WTF to me.

Nolf and Retherford will score enough to equal a third person though.

I agree with everything here wholeheartedly. 184 is as stacked as any I've seen since 149 in '08. The only reason I give Cutch any real shot at an AA is because 197 is so soft. After J'den, there is such a big drop off.

Now that we have an idea of where people will actually go through the year, here are some of my thoughts on how everything will shake out.

125 - I think this is Gilman's to lose. Dance can give him problems but I think Gilman is the better and more consistent wrestler. Suriano can be an x-factor but I think he's still too green.
133 - Tough top 3 with Clark, Tomasello, and Richards. I can see them finishing in any order but I think Clark has the best shot at taking it all. Throw Brock into that mix and it could be a fun weight.
141 - Lot of talent here but no clear front-runner even with a returning champ. I just can't buy into Heil being that guy. McKenna is my pick to take it all. He has the most upside and is the most talented of the lot. Jack, Manley, Cruz, Ashnault, and even Hayes can be in contention. This is a toss up weight.
149 - Zain. Soft weight.
157 - Nolf. Soft weight.
165 - IMar. Another tough weight where a lot of guys are in the running but IMar has proven time and time again he's on a different level. IJo, Rogers, Lewis, Massa, Cenzo, and Valencia if his head is on straight can give anyone problems, though.
174 - BoJo. Weak weight. Epperly, Crutchmer, Realbuto, Valencia, and even Ramos can make things interesting but I think Bo is just a horse who'll get it done.
184 - Dean's weight to lose. He likes to throw up a head-scratching loss every year but I don't see it happening. Too positionally sound. Brutal weight but he's the class of it. When you have guys like Miklus and Dechow ranked 10 and 11, you have to admire the talent here.
197 - J'den. Weakest weight of the field this year imo.
HWT - Snyder. One horse race. Tough weight though.

Can we get a mod to sticky this? The olympic thread can come down.

Not NCAA, but has anybody been watching the Baku Golden Gran Prix? it has been exciting

Some big finals matches today in Vegas. Myles Martin gets upset by ZZ.

There has been a bunch of great wrestling all weekend. Logan Massa takes down I. Jordan and Valencia and looked great doing it. IMart wins his first serious test at 165.

Gabe Dean's closest match in Vegas was a 19-4 tech of Zavatsky.

Field is too strong and he's too inconsistent. I can see anyone in Intermat's top 11 beating him.

Clark being injured completely eliminates any chance Iowa had at a title this year. Hayes injury is slightly less of a problem for tOSU because they can pull Pletcher in but its still a serious blow.

Down to just OSU and PSU.

Shout out to all the coaches who post or lurk here. Hope your season is going well

My kids are working hard but the usual i.e dumbasses. Some can even walk and chew gum. They're getting better.. sorta.. and only 2 have gotten in trouble.. so far

Back