NCAA Wrestling

Brooks beating Heflin shocked me. Heflin is such a horse and much better at free than he was at folk. I thought Brooks would be getting chest-wrapped all day.

I have to admit Nico is a homer pick. Perelli should probably win. Nico is only training part time now and has a really nice financial advisor gig. My 401k is actually with his company but he's not my rep.
Wow I didn't know Megaludis stopped competing. I thought he had real potential to make a few world teams. I think I may have even heard he had the option of wresting for Greece too.

Yeah that result surprised me. I think he's too far removed. I don't really think much of Machiavello to be honest. Winn when he was still competing would have handled him pretty cleanly imo.
Im a big fan of Winn and I think very highly of his wrestling ability. He was always kinda baffling to me though. Its kinda hard to explain. In so many of his matches that resulted in him losing to the cream of the crop it seemed like he could've taken the victory had he remained focused. Like, if getting in deep on shots, muscling opponents around in-bounds, and securing position without actually scoring points counted for something he would've been an Olympic champ.

He made his stout, stocky, super strong body type work for him extremely well. He was a big move guy, was great at getting behind his opponents, had a fantastic shot, but would always seem fumble around the finish or get reversed and exposed. He does have quite a few big wins over top guys but IMO he should have more.

Yeah that result surprised me. I think he's too far removed. I don't really think much of Machiavello to be honest. Winn when he was still competing would have handled him pretty cleanly imo.
Im a big fan of Winn and I think very highly of his wrestling ability. He was always kinda baffling to me though. Its kinda hard to explain. In so many of his matches that resulted in him losing to the cream of the crop it seemed like he could've taken the victory had he remained focused. Like, if getting in deep on shots, muscling opponents around in-bounds, and securing position without actually scoring points counted for something he would've been an Olympic champ.

He made his stout stocky super strong body type work for him extremely well. He was a big move guy, was great at getting behind his opponents, and had a fantastic shot but always seemed to fumble around the finish or get reversed and exposed. He has quite a few wins against top guys but IMO should have more.

Cassar majored Wood and he beat Nevills 7-2 a couple of weeks ago.

I think Nevills was the top HWT recruit in the country and he's a 2 time AA who will be riding the bench his senior year

He was. He was a top 10 overall recruit that year. I think he was like 7th or 8th. Haines was #10 that year too.

Here is a good match from yesterday's Alan Tournament in Vladikavkaz: Nachyn Kuular (Tuva/Krasnoyarsk (Russia)) vs Vladimer Khinchegashvili:

Here is a good match from yesterday's Alan Tournament in Vladikavkaz: Nachyn Kuular (Tuva/Krasnoyarsk (Russia)) vs Vladimer Khinchegashvili:

Quite a few heavy hitters in that tournament. Should be interesting where everyone lands.

This guy is a reminder of the insane depth that Russia still has. I had never heard of him so I looked him up. Sure enough he's got a ton of medals in some very impressive, tough, tournaments.

This guy is a reminder of the insane depth that Russia still has. I had never heard of him so I looked him up. Sure enough he's got a ton of medals in some very impressive, tough, tournaments.
I agree. Even some of the top guys and national/international medallists lose: Tsabolov lost, Kuular lost and even Naifonov lost.

Looking forward to the 70kg final today

I agree. Even some of the top guys and national/international medallists lose: Tsabolov lost, Kuular lost and even Naifonov lost.

Looking forward to the 70kg final today
How did Green do at 70?

How did Green do at 70?
Green lost to David Baev in the semi-final match (Baev then got a huge win over Kurbanaliev in the final).
Baev vs Green:

Green then won a bronze medal vs Akbaev:

Giving USA their only medal of the tournament

Aaaaaand another gold medal for Baitsaev. Dude wins everything besides WTT.

Just realized that one of the bronze medals at 61 kilos went to Aleksander Bogomoev who was stabbed pretty severely in 2017. Glad to see hes back and wrestling well. Really fantastic wrestler.

Back