NCAA Wrestling

That was also very shocking, I would have expected Takahashi to win his bracket.. I hope they can turn things around, the Japanese style is very exciting when they have peaked at the worlds or something. I would like to see Takahashi vs Uguev, Uguev seems to have improved over the last 2 years. DPRK Wrestling superpower 2020......

Will look for them at the junior world's too, Japan always has a strong team at the international events.

But damn, that is interesting (not in the good way) to see how he will adapt. I assume most of Japan's wrestlers, wrestled in college/university so they know their own strengths etc, so I wonder if the new coach can replicate the success that the head coach had. This could be a very unfortunate blow to the team.

I find their style fun to watch too.

Their most exciting female wrestler (Nakamura) should be competing at the juniors so that will be one worth looking out for. I thought she was too old now and we'd never see her again (is in the same weight class as Susaki amongst others). I'd kinda like to go in person as there are a few others I might want to see, would be a bit weird to fly out by myself though... last year I went to the seniors in Paris which was pretty cool (actually was sat behind Icho on the first day, she was browsing food pics on her phone... on the last day I ended up behind the 'Austrian Jordan Burroughs Fanclub') but the juniors 'crowd' (lol) usually seems to be just coaches and the athletes. Maybe I should ask the British team if I can tag along... oh wait, 'British team', heh, heh.
<2>

I find their style fun to watch too.

Their most exciting female wrestler (Nakamura) should be competing at the juniors so that will be one worth looking out for. I thought she was too old now and we'd never see her again (is in the same weight class as Susaki amongst others). I'd kinda like to go in person as there are a few others I might want to see, would be a bit weird to fly out by myself though... last year I went to the seniors in Paris which was pretty cool (actually was sat behind Icho on the first day, she was browsing food pics on her phone... on the last day I ended up behind the 'Austrian Jordan Burroughs Fanclub') but the juniors 'crowd' (lol) usually seems to be just coaches and the athletes. Maybe I should ask the British team if I can tag along... oh wait, 'British team', heh, heh.
<2>
What is her full name? I will check her out. I like Kawai's style (although she beat my girl, Mamashuk at the 2016 Olympic finals :( ). I haven't been to many big tournaments in wrestling, but I have been to some smaller, more regional tournaments which are pretty fun to spectate (and compete in, but this was a while ago).

I thought Muhammad Mokaev (originally from Dagestan, represents UK) could have done well at the Junior European championships..... but no, he got put out in the first round. I thought he could at least medal lol, he even trained in Ukraine for it... but no

What is her full name? I will check her out. I like Kawai's style (although she beat my girl, Mamashuk at the 2016 Olympic finals :( ). I haven't been to many big tournaments in wrestling, but I have been to some smaller, more regional tournaments which are pretty fun to spectate (and compete in, but this was a while ago).

I thought Muhammad Mokaev (originally from Dagestan, represents UK) could have done well at the Junior European championships..... but no, he got put out in the first round. I thought he could at least medal lol, he even trained in Ukraine for it... but no

That would be Miyu Nakamura. I'll chuck all the bouts from her last world jrs. apperance below:
Round 1, vs the euro jr. champ. Funny rage from the Ukrainian coach at the end. Wonder what he was saying.

rd 2

rd 3

rd4, the gold medal match

I saw Mokaev's bout, well, at least he scored some points I guess. The guy who runs the wrestling club nearest to me was out there assistant coaching him.
Of course he's from the Caucausus... although there was a British kid (an actually British one at that) who medalled in the euro jr's a couple of years back (I don't know how that's possible but it happened!).
Yes, there is some kind of Ukrainian connection with the national wrestling org here (the current coach is Ukranian, as was the last, they often train team members in Ukraine, and they keep trying to hire Ukrainian wrestlers and naturalise them, which backfired when their visas got denied, one of them tested positive, and the national sports board subsequently cut funding to £0 where it has sat ever since). Tho to be fair they're doing that because it's the only way they can try and win medals to meet the impossible medal targets for funding they get given.

Ok, Akzhol Makhmudov won silver at 77kg.

There is still the worlds which he has a good chance in imo.
First year as a senior - won gold at the Asian championships and silver at the Asian games.

He only moved up to 77kg last month too, so a silver is a great start at 77 for him.

For those interested, Bekzod Abdurakhmonov won gold at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta today.

He beat Daniyar Kaisanov (KAZ) by 3-2 at 74.
Bajrang Bajrang (India) beat Daichi Takatani and got gold at 65 by 11-8.
To no surprise, Yazdani got gold and only conceded two points, he tech falled all of his opponents - this was at 86.
At 97, Iran got another gold with Alireza Karimimachiani by 6-0 over Musaev (KGZ)
Big fan of Bekzod (and his brother Muzzafar) and he is a damn good wrestler. I saw a video on here the other day of wrestling at AKA and there was a guy there that looked like him. Check out the super flexible guy at the end (though now Im pretty sure its not him):

For those interested, Bekzod Abdurakhmonov won gold at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta today.

To no surprise, Yazdani got gold and only conceded two points, he tech falled all of his opponents - this was at 86.
At 97, Iran got another gold with Alireza Karimimachiani by 6-0 over Musaev (KGZ)
I wonder why this tournament went back to the old 6 weight class format. I hate it. Any idea if the other classes are still to be contested or are they just doing the 6 Olympic weights? The Iranian that won 97 was competing at 86 just 3 months ago.

That was also very shocking, I would have expected Takahashi to win his bracket.. I hope they can turn things around, the Japanese style is very exciting when they have peaked at the worlds or something. I would like to see Takahashi vs Uguev, Uguev seems to have improved over the last 2 years. DPRK Wrestling superpower 2020......

Will look for them at the junior world's too, Japan always has a strong team at the international events.

But damn, that is interesting (not in the good way) to see how he will adapt. I assume most of Japan's wrestlers, wrestled in college/university so they know their own strengths etc, so I wonder if the new coach can replicate the success that the head coach had. This could be a very unfortunate blow to the team.
The way Takahashi mauled Gilman last year was extremely impressive as Gilman is widely regarded as the strongest 55 kilo guy in the USA.

I wonder why this tournament went back to the old 6 weight class format. I hate it. Any idea if the other classes are still to be contested or are they just doing the 6 Olympic weights? The Iranian that won 97 was competing at 86 just 3 months ago.
Yep, this whole tournament section of the Asian Games just abided with 6 weights. I have seen that video you posted, was pretty cool. I would have liked to see more of Islam and Khabib train with the wrestlers who have a wrestling background though. But nice video.

Yep, this whole tournament section of the Asian Games just abided with 6 weights. I have seen that video you posted, was pretty cool. I would have liked to see more of Islam and Khabib train with the wrestlers who have a wrestling background though. But nice video.
I was hoping Khabib and Deron Winn would've gone a few rounds.

I was hoping Khabib and Deron Winn would've gone a few rounds.
What is Deron Winn's background? I recently discovered who he was, I didn't realize he was also a fighter, as well as the guy in the Islam Makhachev russian wrist snap saying 'send me that, send me that move' lol. I didn't know he is 4-0 as a professional fighter. Another nice prospect in Bellator. I also saw on the last event, that Romero Cotton too, fought and is undefeated from a wrestling background (judging by his tapology picture).

What is Deron Winn's background? I recently discovered who he was, I didn't realize he was also a fighter, as well as the guy in the Islam Makhachev russian wrist snap saying 'send me that, send me that move' lol. I didn't know he is 4-0 as a professional fighter. Another nice prospect in Bellator. I also saw on the last event, that Romero Cotton too, fought and is undefeated from a wrestling background (judging by his tapology picture).
Both guys are interesting bc they are/were very high level wrestlers who don't have typical backgrounds amongst for guys of that skill level.

Winn was about as decorated a High School wrestler as one could be. He won 2 or 3 state championships in Missouri and actually battled it out with guys lik Michael Chandler and Jden Cox in High School. During High School Winn was a national champ in freestyle, Greco, and folkstyle at least once in each style. Absolute beast. He was a bit of a trouble maker and his grades weren't great so he wrestled JUCO and NAIA instead of DI and unsurprisingly won 3 National championships in 4 years of eligibility. Despite never wrestling Division I, Deron Winn has been high up the ladder on the freestyle scene for many years (still ranked top 3-5 in the Nation today). He has defeated guys like Jden Cox, Zahid Valencia, Khetag Pliev, in senior level freestyle and has a bunch of international medals.

Romero Cotton was another monster High School prospect. He won a bunch of State titles in high school and 2 national championships (1 each in FS and Greco). He received a scholarship to a Division I school and wrestled well briefly before getting into some trouble. He eventually returned in one of the strongest DII teams in the Country and won 3 national titles.

Both absolute beasts.

Did this guy ever try and do anything in Russia on the senior level?

I am not really familiar with Gelogaev, but he seems to had some success internationally prior to joining college. I seen that he won the world cup in Makhachkala (2011), that appears to be his biggest accomplishment. He also won silver at the New York Open, which seems to be a smaller tournament, but still came second.

I remember seeing his name in some NCAA brackets I was interested bc its obviously a Russian type name. Its pretty amazing what he accomplished in Division I with zero experience and being quite undersized. Apparently his OK State career was severely hampered by injuries. I looked into him and it looks like he's medals at Russian Nationals and surprisingly is not ruling out a comeback leading up to 2020 if he gets full citizenship.

I remember seeing his name in some NCAA brackets I was interested bc its obviously a Russian type name. Its pretty amazing what he accomplished in Division I with zero experience and being quite undersized. Apparently his OK State career was severely hampered by injuries. I looked into him and it looks like he's medals at Russian Nationals and surprisingly is not ruling out a comeback leading up to 2020 if he gets full citizenship.

He took 3rd at Russian Nationals before he came to the US. He also pinned Andy Hrovat.

He originally wrestled 197 but his lack of mat wrestling held him back his first 2 years.

He took 3rd at Russian Nationals before he came to the US. He also pinned Andy Hrovat.

He originally wrestled 197 but his lack of mat wrestling held him back his first 2 years.
I always find these scenarios interesting. Foreign wrestlers with only FS and/or Greco come to the US and try American folkstyle. I cant really think of any examples of them not doing well which is interesting. Either they learn to ride/escape or they taylor their game to their strengths.

Saw on FB and Twitter that Richard Perey was in some kind of freak accident during training on Friday.

Something inhales his eye and caused brain damage

Crazy shit

https://www.gofundme.com/zjjhww-help-for-the-perry-family
Damn that sucks I really like Richard Perry. Anyone who doesn't even make all American once but goes on to be a prominent freestyler, high up on the ladder for years, winning international medals, is someone you gotta respect. Those of us that pray will be doing so for him.

74 was an interesting weight class.

Adam and Sushil met in the first round.

Back