NCAA Wrestling

You’re saying Burroughs of all people doesn’t care about medaling? Especially considering Burroughs has legitimate anger about the NYC RTC situation. That’s a little much, it really is curious about why people doubt Burroughs
I doubt he would be in Ireland training McGregor lol, especially if he wanted another gold knowing that another rematch with Chamizo looms. I am sure he cares, but I think money has played a big factor here. He should get a medal, not sure which one though, nor do I know anything about this NYC RTC situation. I don't know anything about it.. and hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.

I doubt he would be in Ireland training McGregor lol, especially if he wanted another gold knowing that another rematch with Chamizo looms. I am sure he cares, but I think money has played a big factor here. He should get a medal, not sure which one though, nor do I know anything about this NYC RTC situation. I don't know anything about it.. and hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.
Is he actually in Ireland for an extended period of time? There’s s load of assumptions being made

So it’s apparently a hoax anyway and it’s 70 days out. I don’t think it’s a good idea simply because Conor is the type to get frustrated and hurt training partners. So it’d either be semi serious training “a friendly visit” that doesn’t actually push either. Or an injury risk because Conor might try to hurt him after getting ragdolled

Is he actually in Ireland for an extended period of time? There’s s load of assumptions being made
Really?? It is a hoax? lol, damn. Sure made a lot of people believe it. Well, ok. Burroughs should definitely be in the top 1-2 this year regardless. I wouldn't be so confident if he were in Ireland for 2 months before it though.

It was announced that Chamizo would be spending a lot of time training at the NYC RTC.

The RTCs have vague charters but the overall goal is to help USA wrestling develop.

Some people are pissed that Chamizo is getting trained at a US RTC. The argument is who is getting more value out of he deal Chamizo or the RTC.

It's also got people questioning Akgul training with Snyder at the OSU RTC.

That wasn't getting as much bad attention because not many people think Gwiz has a shot at beating Akgul (I'm one of them) and it's benefit to Snyder.

Chamizo and JB are neck an neck though and both have legit shots at Gold.

Personally I'm fine with it because I think the RTC is getting more benefit by having Chamizo around and at this point JB has been thoroughly scouted. But I understand others being upset.

Also haven't seen it posted here but Zadick got fired by ISU. No clue why, a very vague press release by ISU saying there was a difference of opinion with Zadick releasing his own statement which boiled down a very polite way of saying "That's bullshit".

It was announced that Chamizo would be spending a lot of time training at the NYC RTC.

The RTCs have vague charters but the overall goal is to help USA wrestling develop.

Some people are pissed that Chamizo is getting trained at a US RTC. The argument is who is getting more value out of he deal Chamizo or the RTC.

It's also got people questioning Akgul training with Snyder at the OSU RTC.

That wasn't getting as much bad attention because not many people think Gwiz has a shot at beating Akgul (I'm one of them) and it's benefit to Snyder.

Chamizo and JB are neck an neck though and both have legit shots at Gold.

Personally I'm fine with it because I think the RTC is getting more benefit by having Chamizo around and at this point JB has been thoroughly scouted. But I understand others being upset.
Ah, understood. So, the RTCs are training facilities in colleges and freestyle wrestling too? I think I have seen Khinchegashvili over there too, but not too often. I saw that he trained with Ramos and some other guys at 61 and around this weight.

I don't see why this is such a bad thing, it isn't like Chamizo would be going to the USA nationals and potentially representing USA to the worlds, or whatever. It gives an opportunity for younger, less experienced wrestlers to train with a world champion and olympic medalist. Nothing bad about that imo. I have also seen Chamizo do this kind of thing with the Dagestan national team in preparation for the Russian Nationals.

I wish Snyder would stop training with Akgul.. it will make him even stronger for his second match with Sadulaev, lol. But Sadulaev is much faster than both imo.

Ah, understood. So, the RTCs are training facilities in colleges and freestyle wrestling too? I think I have seen Khinchegashvili over there too, but not too often. I saw that he trained with Ramos and some other guys at 61 and around this weight.

I don't see why this is such a bad thing, it isn't like Chamizo would be going to the USA nationals and potentially representing USA to the worlds, or whatever. It gives an opportunity for younger, less experienced wrestlers to train with a world champion and olympic medalist. Nothing bad about that imo. I have also seen Chamizo do this kind of thing with the Dagestan national team in preparation for the Russian Nationals.

I wish Snyder would stop training with Akgul.. it will make him even stronger for his second match with Sadulaev, lol. But Sadulaev is much faster than both imo.

Yeah I should point out that the difference between Chamizo and Akgul/Khinch is that Chamizo is joining the RTC as a resident athlete. The other 2 just visited the RTCs for a week or two at a time.

I know a couple of Japanese medalists had joined the PSU RTC in the recent past but I guess it didn't make much noise because one was 57KG and we didn't really have a medal threat in Ramos and the other guy was retired.

JB has been the face of US Wrestling for 7 years now. So if he doesn't like it it will cause people to 2nd guess if it should be happening.

I'm with you though. The more great wrestlers we have training with Americans the better

RTC's are always closely associated with an NCAA Division I team and share the facilities. The NYC RTC is relatively new and a sort of cooperative between USA Wrestling, Columbia College Wrestling (A DI Team), and Edge Hoboken which is a fantastic wrestling academy in nearby New Jersey. I posted a thread recently about the Chamizo thing here:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/freestyle-world-champ-frank-chamizo-moving-to-nyc.3804645/

This thing with Chamizo is almost unprecedented and Burroughs should be pissed (as he is). The only thing I can think of that resembles this situation is Bulgarian great Valetin Jordanov training in the USA at Foxcatcher for the last few years of his amazing career.

Yeah I should point out that the difference between Chamizo and Akgul/Khinch is that Chamizo is joining the RTC as a resident athlete. The other 2 just visited the RTCs for a week or two at a time.

I know a couple of Japanese medalists had joined the PSU RTC in the recent past but I guess it didn't make much noise because one was 57KG and we didn't really have a medal threat in Ramos and the other guy was retired.

JB has been the face of US Wrestling for 7 years now. So if he doesn't like it it will cause people to 2nd guess if it should be happening.

I'm with you though. The more great wrestlers we have training with Americans the better
The PSU thing, are you referring to Rei Higuchi a year or 2 ago? I think that turned out to be just a rumor. Or maybe there was definite interest from both sides but I don't think it was really viable.

Last edited:
Also haven't seen it posted here but Zadick got fired by ISU. No clue why, a very vague press release by ISU saying there was a difference of opinion with Zadick releasing his own statement which boiled down a very polite way of saying "That's bullshit".
Is it just me or did the whole Iowa-Iowa State exodus of Metcalf, Morningstar, Zadick, etc become very quiet very quickly? It was huge news when announced but I haven't heard much about it since.

The PSU thing, are you referring to Rei Higuchi a year or 2 ago? I think that turned about to be just a rumor or maybe there was definite interest from both sides but I don't think it was really viable.

I didn't realize that fell through.

Is it just me or did the whole Iowa-Iowa State exodus of Metcalf, Morningstar, Zadick, etc become very quiet very quickly? It was huge news when announced but I haven't heard much about it since.

Since Metcalf and Zadick ended up with Dresser I don't think it was that big of a deal.

I think he'll retire before the Brands so there was probably more room to grow there.

But I wasn't really following that closely. Was more surprised about Metcalf then Zadick but I was reading rumors that Metcalf is making like $200k as a volunteer assistant

Since Metcalf and Zadick ended up with Dresser I don't think it was that big of a deal.

I think he'll retire before the Brands so there was probably more room to grow there.

But I wasn't really following that closely. Was more surprised about Metcalf then Zadick but I was reading rumors that Metcalf is making like $200k as a volunteer assistant
Yeah plus Zadick had already left Iowa to coach at Virginia Tech before that so it was definitely no surprise. I guess it was just controversial having these black and gold Iowa guys go to ISU.

As for Metcalf, shortly before the ISU thing came to light it was announced that he was gonna be coaching the US National Teams at the Cadet and/or junior level. Do you have any idea if that is still in play?

Yeah plus Zadick had already left Iowa to coach at Virginia Tech before that so it was definitely no surprise. I guess it was just controversial having these black and gold Iowa guys go to ISU.

As for Metcalf, shortly before the ISU thing came to light it was announced that he was gonna be coaching the US National Teams at the Cadet and/or junior level. Do you have any idea if that is still in play?

No clue but I don't really follow the Juniors or Cadets outside of Soper Studs like Gable, Spencer Lee etc....

For those interested, Bekzod Abdurakhmonov won gold at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta today.

He beat Daniyar Kaisanov (KAZ) by 3-2 at 74.
Bajrang Bajrang (India) beat Daichi Takatani and got gold at 65 by 11-8.
To no surprise, Yazdani got gold and only conceded two points, he tech falled all of his opponents - this was at 86.
At 97, Iran got another gold with Alireza Karimimachiani by 6-0 over Musaev (KGZ)

Wow, the Japanese Women's wrestling team did not win a single gold in the 6 categories at the Asian Games.

Unexpected, but I have no doubt that they will peak for the World's.

One to look out for tomorrow (if you have time) is Akzhol Makhmudov. He is 19 years of age and won silver at the Junior Worlds last year, with his only loss being to Kamal Bay.

He has already won gold at the Asian Championships and gold at an U23 Championship held in Turkey.

I think he has a great chance to get at least a Bronze tomorrow.

He has a very tough opening match, against 2012 gold and 2016 Olympic Bronze medalist, Kim Hyeon-Woo.

If he can defeat Woo, I think he will get gold.

Wow, the Japanese Women's wrestling team did not win a single gold in the 6 categories at the Asian Games.

Unexpected, but I have no doubt that they will peak for the World's.

Their (very successfu)l head coach had to step down recently due to a harassment scandal. Not sexual harassment (come on, it's Japan) but 'power' harassment (it's actually rather mild sounding; http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201804070021.html). So that could be having an effect.

On the other hand Takahashi was also beaten in the 1st round so it could be a 'time to peak' thing like you say, they seem to be good at peaking when needed and can have iffy results before that, so we'll see.

Incidentally DPRK won 2 of those women's golds, and the guy who beat Takahashi was also a Nork who went on to win silver, could we be about to see the resurgence of Best Korea as a wrestling power under Kim Jong Un? :confused:

Their (very successfu)l head coach had to step down recently due to a harassment scandal. Not sexual harassment (come on, it's Japan) but 'power' harassment (it's actually rather mild sounding; http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201804070021.html). So that could be having an effect.

On the other hand Takahashi was also beaten in the 1st round so it could be a 'time to peak' thing like you say, they seem to be good at peaking when needed and can have iffy results before that, so we'll see.

Incidentally DPRK won 2 of those women's golds, and the guy who beat Takahashi was also a Nork who went on to win silver, could we be about to see the resurgence of Best Korea as a wrestling power under Kim Jong Un? :confused:
That was also very shocking, I would have expected Takahashi to win his bracket.. I hope they can turn things around, the Japanese style is very exciting when they have peaked at the worlds or something. I would like to see Takahashi vs Uguev, Uguev seems to have improved over the last 2 years. DPRK Wrestling superpower 2020......

Will look for them at the junior world's too, Japan always has a strong team at the international events.

But damn, that is interesting (not in the good way) to see how he will adapt. I assume most of Japan's wrestlers, wrestled in college/university so they know their own strengths etc, so I wonder if the new coach can replicate the success that the head coach had. This could be a very unfortunate blow to the team.

Back