NCAA Wrestling

Very questionable 4 points for Chamizo near the end.

Gwiz has been quietly putting together a good resume and improving

We won’t repeat as champs if Cox and Green don’t step it back up. I’ve come to expect inconsistency from Stieber, but Cox and Green are really frustrating. I personally think it’s a lack of dedication and motivation but who knows.

That said I’m glad Snyder and Burroughs lost. I think it lights a fire and they get sweet revenge in Oct.

We won’t repeat as champs if Cox and Green don’t step it back up. I’ve come to expect inconsistency from Stieber, but Cox and Green are really frustrating. I personally think it’s a lack of dedication and motivation but who knows.

That said I’m glad Snyder and Burroughs lost. I think it lights a fire and they get sweet revenge in Oct.
Stieber has becone more inconsistent these last 2 years. He loses all the damn time. The difference is nowadays he's not beating the top guys in the world with any degree of regularity.

As for Burroughs and Snyder using the losses to step up their game, I see Snyder doing it easier than Burroughs. Last time Burroughs lost a match outside of the worlds/Olympics was in 2014 at the Gas at Dogu. He went on to lose at that years worlds to Tsargush. I know he got injured and Tsargush is unbelievably tough, I'm just saying its a bad omen. Especially with 74kg having so many hammers nowadays.

How did Cengizhan Erdogan do? He's been struggling to regain his form since leaving Russia to wrestle for Turkey. Formerly known as Opan Sat, he was ranked #1 in the world for a while, winning several Yarygin and Euro titles. He is not on that level anymore.

Interesting little side note. In 2014 when Sat was ranked number one in the world he was defeated by an emerging stud named Logan Stieber. It was a huge upset and propelled Stieber into the international scene. Both guys have fallen off a little.

How did Cengizhan Erdogan do? He's been struggling to regain his form since leaving Russia to wrestle for Turkey. Formerly known as Opan Sat, he was ranked #1 in the world for a while, winning several Yarygin and Euro titles. He is not on that level anymore.

Interesting little side note. In 2014 when Sat was ranked number one in the world he was defeated by an emerging stud named Logan Stieber. It was a huge upset and propelled Stieber into the international scene. Both guys have fallen off a little.
I didn't even realize that Sat competed at this tournament.. he got pinned in the first round by Andrey Syvryd, who in the next round got tech falled by the gold medalist in the division.

Just came in here to say that it's bullshit Kyle didn't win best college athlete at the espys

But fuck the espys anyway, Danica patrick's monologue was so fucking bad lol

Stieber has becone more inconsistent these last 2 years. He loses all the damn time. The difference is nowadays he's not beating the top guys in the world with any degree of regularity.

As for Burroughs and Snyder using the losses to step up their game, I see Snyder doing it easier than Burroughs. Last time Burroughs lost a match outside of the worlds/Olympics was in 2014 at the Gas at Dogu. He went on to lose at that years worlds to Tsargush. I know he got injured and Tsargush is unbelievably tough, I'm just saying its a bad omen. Especially with 74kg having so many hammers nowadays.
yeah that year Burroughs sprained his mcl in the first match and finished with bronze.

Burroughs tore his LCL the first match of the 2014 worlds and Tsargush went after that leg to get his big points in the match, when they wrestled in the semis.... that’s not even an apples to oranges comparison

Taylor has been absolutely dominant these past couple years. I see him taking gold here and in Oct.
Aside from Cox in 2016 and 2017 at the trials, who has defeated Taylor since the Olympic trials?

Burroughs tore his LCL the first match of the 2014 worlds and Tsargush went after that leg to get his big points in the match, when they wrestled in the semis.... that’s not even an apples to oranges comparison
I think you should read my comment again. I referenced the injury. I said it was a bad omen. He lost at the Dogu in 2014 and went on the lose at the 2014 worlds. Now in 2018 hes lost (albeit a close match) at the Dogu and we'll see how he does at worlds. Time will tell if it was a valid comparison or not. But its interesting that the Dogu is the only place He's lost outside of worlds/Olympics. Unless you count losing 1 match in the series against Dake at last years trials.

Aside from Cox in 2016 and 2017 at the trials, who has defeated Taylor since the Olympic trials?

8-0 at the World Cup
Won the Yarygin
Won the Dogu

He hasn't lost to an international opponent in quite some time now.

Hmm... if Sadulaev can't even reach 97, I would rather see him just stick to 92, or even attempt to go back to 86 if possible. 95 is nice, but he just can't match some of the big guys at 97. They are too big for him, today he got stuck on quite a few shots today and could not finish. I mean.. he is in the finals lol, but he has struggled with size.

Anyway, the finals for day-1 (which will be held tomorrow):
57kg: Donduk vs Uguev
65kg: Goygereev vs Chakaev (winner will face Bekbulatov later because he is injured - for the world's spot)
74kg: Tsabolov vs Zidakov (rematch from Ivan Yarygin finals this year)
86kg: Naifonov vs Kurugliev
97kg: Sadulaev vs Baitsaev (rematch from last year's 97kg finals at the Russian nationals)

Hmm... if Sadulaev can't even reach 97, I would rather see him just stick to 92, or even attempt to go back to 86 if possible. 95 is nice, but he just can't match some of the big guys at 97. They are too big for him, today he got stuck on quite a few shots today and could not finish. I mean.. he is in the finals lol, but he has struggled with size.

So Sadulaev weighed in at 95 kilos? I cant read the attached tweets.

Thoughts on Sadulaev’s first 3 matches
  1. He’s trying not to show it but he’s getting more visibly frustrated than normal. Both with stalling and not being able to get his offense or top work rolling
  2. For all that people talk about the Russian “diversity” of technique. He’s very meat and potatoes mostly outside that overhook slidebye, which I think will give him longevity but combined with the size difference at 97 makes it easier for the 97kg guys to scout him.
  3. He seems to be trying less of the singles and fireman’s and has been going for a lefty outside step (head outside) single more too
  4. He’s adjusted to the new weight by hitting his sweep singles lower on the leg (I need to rewatch old film to be sure)
  5. His Defense and positioning is on point but while he still has that overhook slide-bye. I’ve noticed that he gives up more control ties especially underhooks (Snyder had success with underhooks as well) at 97kg
  6. He’s still the golden boy lol, guy in the semis had rear standing bodylock. Sadulaev straight sprinted almost two meters out of bounds so hard he went into the bleacher wall. Definition of “caution & 2” but only gave up 1

Back