NCAA Wrestling

When was the last time they've even wrestled though? Zain has made serious strides in the past few years plus he's finally training freestyle full time now.

Khetag Tsabolov has moved up to 79kg for the World Military Championships. Good move imo:

When was the last time they've even wrestled though? Zain has made serious strides in the past few years plus he's finally training freestyle full time now.

Have they ever wrestled in the senior division? Think about how crazy a footnote in wrestling history Pico may wind up being. He has defeated so many NCAA champs, world medalists, at least 1 world champ, he's won cadet and junior world medals, but never wrestled a College match and may end up having wrestled only a few senior level tournaments. He came as close as one can come to making the Olympic team without actually making it. pretty crazy.

Here are the main finals from today's World Military Championships: 3 golds for Russia.
Kuular (champion last year) vs Song (Korea) - 65kg

Ramonov (also champion last year) vs Semisorov (Germany, not sure.. his name sounds a little bit Russian) - 70kg

Sidakov vs Rashidi (Iran) - 74kg: the ending to this match is funny: dick move or not - you decide. lol

Khetag Tsabolov has moved up to 79kg for the World Military Championships. Good move imo:

Damn, that French/Russian dude was wrestling well until he got aught in the lace series that ended the match. I wonder if this move to 79 is going to continue for Tsabolov. Probably not.

Damn, that French/Russian dude was wrestling well until he got aught in the lace series that ended the match. I wonder if this move to 79 is going to continue for Tsabolov. Probably not.
Yeah, I think he is Chechen, he is quite a good wrestler, I am not sure whether he trains in France, or Chechnya but sadly he has no big accomplishments. You're right, I am not quite sure why Tsabolov moved up. Maybe he agreed something with Zidakov (his training partner, and opponent who he beat in the finals of Ivan Yarygin this year). I would like to see him at 79, but we will see.

Yeah, I think he is Chechen, he is quite a good wrestler, I am not sure whether he trains in France, or Chechnya but sadly he has no big accomplishments.
I think you got him mixed up with someone else bro. Either that or you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that he has quite a few nice accomplishments on his resume.
Junior World Champ
Top 5 at worlds
Top 8 at Olympics (2016)
Made the finals of a very tough Yasar Dogu and lost to Burroughs.
Spanish Grand prix Champ
Hes the same guy that just took silver at Europeans.

Are there any USA wrestlers at the World Military Championships? I don't think I have seen one in the live stream.

I think you got him mixed up with someone else bro. Either that or you will be pleasantly surprised to learn that he has quite a few nice accomplishments on his resume.
Junior World Champ
Top 5 at worlds
Top 8 at Olympics (2016)
Made the finals of a very tough Yasar Dogu and lost to Burroughs.
Spanish Grand prix Champ
Hes the same guy that just took silver at Europeans.
Yes, you may be right. I have been pleasantly surprised ahah. I really had no idea. I remember him getting beat up by Burroughs, but don't remember him getting nice medals. Maybe I just expect golds and silvers to be nice results ahah. He is good for sure, but has some pretty bad loses.

Yes, you may be right. I have been pleasantly surprised ahah. I really had no idea. I remember him getting beat up by Burroughs, but don't remember him getting nice medals. Maybe I just expect golds and silvers to be nice results ahah. He is good for sure, but has some pretty bad loses.
Absolutely, he has silver at the 2018 Bill Farrell where he lost in the finals to Deringer. He took silver at the U23 Europeans and lost in the finals to a tough Georgian. Silver in the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix in which he lost to Cuban Olympic/world medalist Livian lopez. Bronze in a very tough 2015 Paris Grand Prix. Hes very good but yet to really solidify himself as a gold medal threat at worlds. Id like to know where he trains bc France doesn't have a ton of good freestylers, they have better Greco. However, this kid has been repping France since at least 2009.

Here are the main finals from today's World Military Championships: 3 golds for Russia.
Kuular (champion last year) vs Song (Korea) - 65kg

Ramonov (also champion last year) vs Semisorov (Germany, not sure.. his name sounds a little bit Russian) - 70kg

Sidakov vs Rashidi (Iran) - 74kg: the ending to this match is funny: dick move or not - you decide. lol

Kuular looks interesting, where is he from? Im gonna look him up.

Kuular looks interesting, where is he from? Im gonna look him up.
He is from Tuva republic in Russia; an ethnic Tuvan - hence the unusual Russian (possibly Mongolian sounding name). He won the U23 worlds last year in Hungary and the U23 Europeans too iirc. He is really talented at 22 years old. A very good wrestler at 65, unfortunately for him; Chakaev and Bekbulatov seem to give him trouble. They are the two wrestlers that have prevented him getting more than a Bronze at the Russian nationals and Yarygin.

Edit: my memory has failed me. He got a silver at Ivan Yarygin and lost to Moscow/Ossetia's Bogomaev in the final.

He is from Tuva republic in Russia; an ethnic Tuvan - hence the unusual Russian (possibly Mongolian sounding name). He won the U23 worlds last year in Hungary and the U23 Europeans too iirc. He is really talented at 22 years old. A very good wrestler at 65, unfortunately for him; Chakaev and Bekbulatov seem to give him trouble. They are the two wrestlers that have prevented him getting more than a Bronze at the Russian nationals and Yarygin.

Edit: my memory has failed me. He got a silver at Ivan Yarygin and lost to Moscow/Ossetia's Bogomaev in the final.
Very cool. It looks like he trains out of the big training center in Kraznyarsk which I guess makes sense considering its closer to where he is from. Im always interested in the distribution/origins of wrestling talent in Russia. It seems that pretty much all of the best wrestlers are from either the Caucasus area (Dagestan, Chechnya, Ossetia,) or from the general area around and south of Siberia towards Mongolia where this kid and Lebedev are from.

Very cool. It looks like he trains out of the big training center in Kraznyarsk which I guess makes sense considering its closer to where he is from. Im always interested in the distribution/origins of wrestling talent in Russia. It seems that pretty much all of the best wrestlers are from either the Caucasus area (Dagestan, Chechnya, Ossetia,) or from the general area around and south of Siberia towards Mongolia where this kid and Lebedev are from.
In the Russian nationals you can see all the different flags and representing athletes, it is quite cool. But you are right, in freestyle it is mainy wrestlers from Dagestan, Ossetia then Chechnya/Ingushetia/Kabardino-Balkaria. These areas also produce great judo athletes, too. Other good wrestlers come from the Sakha (Yakutia) republic, Buryatia, Tuva republic and Krasnoyarsk etc. Siberia is a really strong region for producing wrestlers.

Women's wrestling seems to be much more varied with ethnicities. Mainly from Siberia/eastern regions and Greco is more of the same. Greco is a bit more surprising because there aren't too many wrestlers from Dagestan/Ossetia etc who are interested in it. You see much more wrestlers closer to what you could call 'ethnic' Russians. Like Artem Surkov, Roman Vlasov (although he is part-Turkic), Adam Kurak and a mix between Armenian/Georgian-Russian wrestlers. There are too many republics/oblasts in Russia ahah.

Are there any USA wrestlers at the World Military Championships? I don't think I have seen one in the live stream.
Check the greco lineups. In the US there are more greco guys wrestling for the military. There's this thing called the world class athletes program in the US Army. On top of that the Marines have a strong greco program. Not that you won't find any freestylers though. NCAA DI Champ Matt Brown took bronze last year while NCAA DI All American Ryan Mango took home a silver. Interestingly though, Mango is a big time greco wrestler who enters freestyle tournaments here n there.

In the Russian nationals you can see all the different flags and representing athletes, it is quite cool. But you are right, in freestyle it is mainy wrestlers from Dagestan, Ossetia then Chechnya/Ingushetia/Kabardino-Balkaria. These areas also produce great judo athletes, too. Other good wrestlers come from the Sakha (Yakutia) republic, Buryatia, Tuva republic and Krasnoyarsk etc. Siberia is a really strong region for producing wrestlers.

Women's wrestling seems to be much more varied with ethnicities. Mainly from Siberia/eastern regions and Greco is more of the same. Greco is a bit more surprising because there aren't too many wrestlers from Dagestan/Ossetia etc who are interested in it. You see much more wrestlers closer to what you could call 'ethnic' Russians. Like Artem Surkov, Roman Vlasov (although he is part-Turkic), Adam Kurak and a mix between Armenian/Georgian-Russian wrestlers. There are too many republics/oblasts in Russia ahah.
You heard anything about Sadulaev going back up to 97? I hear it's definitely happening.

You heard anything about Sadulaev going back up to 97? I hear it's definitely happening.
Yes, I read that Sadulaev will participate in the Russian nationals at 97kg. I think he can definitely beat Snyder, but I just think Sadulaev is a bit slow at 97, which takes away Sadulaev's main attributes. He likes to explode on techniques, which worked perfectly at 86, a little less at 92, and lesser at 97. I think he should stay at 92 for now, let him win one or two world golds at 92 - because nobody will really challenge him there (maybe Cox? Sharifov?). Then try out 97. I would like to see Baitsaev stay in the national team at 97, he is really solid. I think Baitsaev, Ketoev and Snyder are the right size for 97, they cut down from 100+ (don't know the exact weights); whereas Sadulaev still looks small even with cutting weight. He did well last time, 6-5 is a really close score where Snyder won the last 30 seconds, so I think it is like a 55-45 match up. Really close.

Khetag Tsabolov got his fourth Military World title:

Back