NCAA Wrestling

I think Chamizo will do well at 74, but guys like Tsabolov and Burroughs will be too strong for him imo.
Im trying to find the match list from the Dan Kolov - Nikola Petrov Tournament in Bulgaria that Chamizo won last month at 74 kilos. Turns out the Turk Soener Demirtas forfeited the finals. Chamizo beat Franklin Gomez in the finals of the Ukrainian tournament the month prior.

What do you guys think of the new Finals X method of determining the World Team Member

th_247219565_Trials_122_483lo.JPG

Looks like the US Open winner still gets a bye into the finals of the WTT

What do you guys think of the new Finals X method of determining the World Team Member

th_247219565_Trials_122_483lo.JPG

Looks like the US Open winner still gets a bye into the finals of the WTT

It’s an interesting concept. It makes winning the open more important than it has been in awhile. For the longest time the open didn’t really matter if you had Snyder with a bye to the trials finals already. Why bother wrestling at the open if you placed at the Dave Schultz tournament and thus have already qualified for the wtt tournament? Might as well save your body and just go to the trials. Now you have incentive to win the open because you can get a chance to sit out the wtt mini-tournament and wait for the winner who has had to grind out matches. This also takes away the whining about the person who has gone through the mini-tournament, facing the fresh guy like Snyder in the finals for the world team spot as the actual spot is decided on a separate day when both parties are fresh.

It’s an interesting concept. It makes winning the open more important than it has been in awhile. For the longest time the open didn’t really matter if you had Snyder with a bye to the trials finals already. Why bother wrestling at the open if you placed at the Dave Schultz tournament and thus have already qualified for the wtt tournament? Might as well save your body and just go to the trials. Now you have incentive to win the open because you can get a chance to sit out the wtt mini-tournament and wait for the winner who has had to grind out matches. This also takes away the whining about the person who has gone through the mini-tournament, facing the fresh guy like Snyder in the finals for the world team spot as the actual spot is decided on a separate day when both parties are fresh.

There may still be whining about the winner of the US Open getting a bye into the finals of the WTT. I always felt better after a few matches of a tournament, but that's just me.

There may still be whining about the winner of the US Open getting a bye into the finals of the WTT. I always felt better after a few matches of a tournament, but that's just me.

This was pretty controversial last year when Cox got a bye to the finals and beat Taylor who was having a very impressive tournament until that point.

This was pretty controversial last year when Cox got a bye to the finals and beat Taylor who was having a very impressive tournament until that point.

There's no perfect format, this was obviously implemented to avoid a fluke loss for returning world medalist. With the 5 hour break before the finals I don't believe fatigue played much of a factor and we sent the right people to worlds.

Cox got a bye because he was a returning medalist not because of the Open.

An important distinction imo.

Geez trains at both NC State and Penn State. Varner probably gets the better of him in the room and may feel like he can beat him.
Don't forget Varner went 1-1 at HW in the 2016 World cup too. He lost to the Iranian and tech'ed the Azerbaijani junior world champ. This is an interesting addition to HW for sure.

Here's something out of left field, MMA fighter and former NCAA stud Lance Palmer entering the open.

Well

NATO is a tough little dude
Also like that he waited a long time to say anything publicly and only really did because he was getting surgery

Back