NCAA Wrestling

People on themat all seem to be making the case that the kid is on The Spectrum

I'd bet money he is. I keep meaning to ask my mom who's a retired special ed teacher and taught kids like him for 30+ years but keep forgetting. But there is little doubt in my mind he's a high functioning autistic. Possibly Aspergers.

I'd bet money he is. I keep meaning to ask my mom who's a retired special ed teacher and taught kids like him for 30+ years but keep forgetting. But there is little doubt in my mind he's a high functioning autistic. Possibly Aspergers.
I think his issues are exasperated by the fact he’s probably been coddled at home and homeschooled. Especially given my experience

I’ll be completely frank, one of the big reason I probably never was officially diagnosed is because when I joined wrestling in middle school, my teammates and coaches literally taught me how to socialize. i.e. “dude, don’t do that it’s weird” etc. never in a mean way either, it also gave me a social group in school to learn from, but given my home-life and struggles to fit in before that. if I hadn’t gotten socialized that way my life goes completely differently.

My point is, DeSanto has never had that type of socialization and from what I’ve seen I’m highly doubtful he’s been told no that much at home. Never had to actually fit in or be part of a team etc. so I’m willing to bet money that’s contributing to his behavior

And I’m not saying I’m near on that level on the spectrum. I was always But I’ve tested for ADHD , not till college, and talked to spec ed teachers about it. But that’s also why my sympathy is low. He won’t respond unless there is real consequences

He struck me as the weird homeschooled kid based on an interview I saw from him a while back before I even knew he was homeschooled. Why parents do that to their children is beyond my realm of comprehension.

He struck me as the weird homeschooled kid based on an interview I saw from him a while back before I even knew he was homeschooled. Why parents do that to their children is beyond my realm of comprehension.

The parents are naive

I’ve dealt with a lot of homeschooled kids in my involvement over the years with the Boy Scouts. There are a number of parents that have good reasons for homeschooling and they take the appropriate steps to make sure their children get the proper education and utilize the right resource to actually get an advanced education moreso than they would get in the public schools. Then there are those that do it for the wrong reasons and aren’t people capable of properly educating their children. One family I will always remember. The oldest son who was in 7th grade at the time, struggled with math and the youngest son was like 5th grade struggled socially, so the parents pulled them from public school. Don’t know why the oldest bombed community college...
{<huh}

The family that did it right, homeschooled until middle school. The dad was a doctor and the mom was also super smart. They got the kids in a middle college program that allowed them to graduate high school with like 70 college credits. The two boys both graduated from the University of Michigan. One going to med school now and the other working on rockets out west. Lol.

Anyhow, there are good and bad ways to go about homeschooling. I’m not familiar enough with Desanto’s background other than what has been said since ncaas, so idk what his parents did or did not do.

I’ve dealt with a lot of homeschooled kids in my involvement over the years with the Boy Scouts. There are a number of parents that have good reasons for homeschooling and they take the appropriate steps to make sure their children get the proper education and utilize the right resource to actually get an advanced education moreso than they would get in the public schools. Then there are those that do it for the wrong reasons and aren’t people capable of properly educating their children. One family I will always remember. The oldest son who was in 7th grade at the time, struggled with math and the youngest son was like 5th grade struggled socially, so the parents pulled them from public school. Don’t know why the oldest bombed community college...
{<huh}

The family that did it right, homeschooled until middle school. The dad was a doctor and the mom was also super smart. They got the kids in a middle college program that allowed them to graduate high school with like 70 college credits. The two boys both graduated from the University of Michigan. One going to med school now and the other working on rockets out west. Lol.

Anyhow, there are good and bad ways to go about homeschooling. I’m not familiar enough with Desanto’s background other than what has been said since ncaas, so idk what his parents did or did not do.
I’ll be fair, I had friends who were homeschooled then put into middle or high school to be socialized and whatnot. My impression is that DeSanto had the negative stereotype of homeschooling

{<huh}

I have a cousin who got into some trouble early in life then found Jesus. Married a fellow holy-roller. They have like 6 kids and are all homeschooled by the mother who did not go to college. Ages 6 to 15 all sitting at the kitchen table learning together. The 15 year old has selective mutism as well so I'm sure she is the best option for optimizing his education.

<JerryWWF>

{<huh}

The article I saw was that he was in normal school until 9th grade when he had a concussion and had to stay home for a couple of weeks. He liked it better so his parents switched to homeschooling

"DeSanto is seeking "a tougher room" according to Jon Rugg, his coach at Exeter Township High School in eastern Pennsylvania who is now fielding queries on his former wrestler's behalf from Arizona State, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State and Virginia Tech, among other schools.

More than one media outlet in New Jersey -- including NJ.com -- speculates that DeSanto may find a home at Rutgers, where he might move up to 141 pounds.

"It's everybody," Rugg told PennLive.com, referring to the number of colleges reportedly seeking DeSanto. "Just a ton of schools are interested in having him. I don't really know what his plan is weight-wise or how that fits or what coaches are going to fit his style. I'm not one-hundred percent sure. His mom has been texting my assistant and updating us about who he's talking to."

"I guess Austin is looking for a tougher room essentially, somewhere to be challenged on a daily basis," Rugg said. "I was never in Drexel's room, so I have no idea what that specifically means."

So, his high school coach is simply speculating and has no idea what is going on.

Back