NCAA Wrestling

Fix looks a lot bigger to my eye than Piccininni so I think it would make more sense for him to bump.

If he ever does, I hope he waits a few years. I'd like to see him continue his run of dominance internationally first.

If he ever does, I hope he waits a few years. I'd like to see him continue his run of dominance internationally first.

Agreed, he has a shot at being our GOAT, needs another 5 years or so which would only make him 28-29 by the time he enters MMA.

With his growing international success I don't see him transitioning to mma any time soon.

I’m not arguing that Kyle doesn’t have mma interest/asperations But I believe that original tweet was posted after he attended a UFC fight a few yrs ago and may have been more of a “wow this was cool, I want to do it” tweet.

Off the top of my head Snyder is only the 2nd 3 time HWT champ after Carlton Haselrig who was not small

I think this has to be considered in the college GOAT rankings, the only 3x HWT champ while wrestling at 225 lbs is pretty impressive.

Wonder if Snyder would try 205 if he went teh UFC route.

Wonder if Snyder would try 205 if he went teh UFC route.

Of course he would go 205. The only reason he went heavyweight in college was so he wasn’t cutting weight to get to 197 and trying to keep up his freestyle schedule in-season.

Of course he would go 205. The only reason he went heavyweight in college was so he wasn’t cutting weight to get to 197 and trying to keep up his freestyle schedule in-season.
Don't be so dismissive. It's not like he won't put on some more weight in the coming years as he continues to compete. Might decide it's better to be at HW.

Don't be so dismissive. It's not like he won't put on some more weight in the coming years as he continues to compete. Might decide it's better to be at HW.
He will likely put on more muscle for sure now that his college career is done but he’s not going to but on too much more mass as he’s only 5’11”. Wresting 6’5” 285lb guys like Coon is much different than fighting a guy his size. Plus the weigh in rules for mma are much different than wrestling and he wouldn’t be making weight that often in the ufc, so I feel he would definitely go 205 easily.

I’m not arguing that Kyle doesn’t have mma interest/asperations But I believe that original tweet was posted after he attended a UFC fight a few yrs ago and may have been more of a “wow this was cool, I want to do it” tweet.

Yup, It was a fight in Cleveland where Micoc KOed Overeem.

I think Kyle was just a little pumped to see the hometown Guy with the Highlight Victory

My gut says Lee but watch it will be Cenzo as I wouldn’t have pegged him to have 1 title, let alone 2. Yianni is amazing but it’s hard to pick him with how close his matches are at times and 141/149 are usually always meat grinders. Maybe he’ll distance himself from the competition in the coming years.
These new superstars are amazing. It seems they've had their eyes on Olympic gold since the beginning and are executing the plan every step of the way. Yianni and Lee specifically winning multiple world titles BEFORE ever wrestling a college match are just so friggin good. These last few years and next few years will be interesting with Yianni, Lee, Hall, Steveson, Snyder, Valencia, and soon with Vitali at Cornell, Steveson, showing the value of world level experience.

I expect to see Martinez at the US Open and World Team Trials.

Some people will argue Cael as the collegiate GOAT because they argue that freestyle results shouldn't have weight in the discussion but I'm taking Snyder and give significant weight to his international results.
Its a good debate for sure. Wins 3 titles while giving up 35-50 pounds. He's undoubtedly the best college wrestler ever. Meaning no other wrestler can claim to be more successful while in college. However, Cael at 159-0 can claim to be better at college wrestling. And if you actually consider everything it becomes even tougher to debate. I believe Cael won the world team spot in 2001 or 2000 but didn't go to worlds bc he chose to give priority to his NCAA schedule. Brandon Eggum took silver that year so who knows what Cael could've done. Then there's Cael's redshirt year when Paul Jenn and (I believe) his teammate Joe Heskett beat Cael while Cael wrestled some tournaments unattached. And obviously Snyder's FS accomplishments while still in college were absolutely legendary.

@tec87 @Rico

The hate for Snyder going to the WWE on themat.com has legit pissed me off.

Yeah that thread was driving me nuts. “Ok we can keep every wrestler in our tiny little bubble or they can branch out and do other things and bring outside attention to amateur wresting.” Hmmmm that’s a tough one.....

I had to walk away from it as there was no point in continuing to argue with them. Sure I want Snyder to compete as long as he can but he’s not going to compete forever and some day, he’s going to stop. Not every high level wrestler wants to be a coach when their competitive days are over. So they have to look for things either completely out of the athletic arena in the “real world” or they look into things like mma/pro wrestling, etc.

Not everyone gets into amateur wrestling because of an older sibling or a dad that wrestled that gets them started young. I mentioned in that thread how it was ken shamrock and Kurt angle that got me curious about ufc and amateur wrestling when i was younger. Snyder could have that same effect on people if he went that route. If he became a pro wrestler, is there going to be this huge wave of kids trying out the sport? No, but I bet some that never thought about it, might give it a try because they saw this Olympic gold medal winning wrestler beating up everyone on Monday night.

Yeah that thread was driving me nuts. “Ok we can keep every wrestler in our tiny little bubble or they can branch out and do other things and bring outside attention to amateur wresting.” Hmmmm that’s a tough one.....

I had to walk away from it as there was no point in continuing to argue with them. Sure I want Snyder to compete as long as he can but he’s not going to compete forever and some day, he’s going to stop. Not every high level wrestler wants to be a coach when their competitive days are over. So they have to look for things either completely out of the athletic arena in the “real world” or they look into things like mma/pro wrestling, etc.

Not everyone gets into amateur wrestling because of an older sibling or a dad that wrestled that gets them started young. I mentioned in that thread how it was ken shamrock and Kurt angle that got me curious about ufc and amateur wrestling when i was younger. Snyder could have that same effect on people if he went that route. If he became a pro wrestler, is there going to be this huge wave of kids trying out the sport? No, but I bet some that never thought about it, might give it a try because they saw this Olympic gold medal winning wrestler beating up everyone on Monday night.

I just called sgallan and a couple of other guys losers.

I just called sgallan and a couple of other guys losers.
Maybe I always looked past his posts or maybe he’s just gone off the deep end lately, but I don’t remember sgallan being as much of a dick as he is now. And I’ve been posting on themat for 13yrs now. Lol

Back