2016 Rio Olympic Wrestling Discussion

Scapegoat. Sad to see a great coach go out like that. But as a Penn Stater, I am all too familiar.

Yeah it really seemed like he was just doing what he thought was right and trying to protect his guys.

He's done a lot for the sport and will be missed.

Been searching but can't find it. Anyone have a link to the Gomez/Navruzov debacle?

Okay, just watched. I have several issues with the match in general. Gomez is up 2-0 and Navruzov gets a 2+1. Personally, I don't think he ever had the TD there and should have only gotten 1 for the pushout. Then @ 3-3, Navruzov got what I thought to be a clear pushout when Gomez was still in quadpod yet gets awarded 2. Can't figure that one out. Then the kicker with the Gomez feet to back yet he gets 0 awarded and Nav gets 2 somehow for exposure. Even if you want to say they were out before the exposure, it still should have been 2 for Gomez at worst. Pretty egregious.

Okay, just watched. I have several issues with the match in general. Gomez is up 2-0 and Navruzov gets a 2+1. Personally, I don't think he ever had the TD there and should have only gotten 1 for the pushout. Then @ 3-3, Navruzov got what I thought to be a clear pushout when Gomez was still in quadpod yet gets awarded 2. Can't figure that one out. Then the kicker with the Gomez feet to back yet he gets 0 awarded and Nav gets 2 somehow for exposure. Even if you want to say they were out before the exposure, it still should have been 2 for Gomez at worst. Pretty egregious.
There's video of the corrupt ref holding down the table judge from putting up the puts and arguing

Snyder tweeting he wants to fight. Could be interesting. Burroughs said he wanted to at one point as well though.

This is crazy

Hmmm we have one country (called the USA) that is under USADA, an anti-doping agency so strict and thorough
that the people tested are subjected random BLOOD and urine testing ANY TIME and ANYWHERE. Literally, as in athletes are required to fill out where they are and will be and notify when when they change locations. The the tester which shows up at around 6am then proceeds to follow the subject around everywhere including the bathroom till they get their sample. The sample is then taken I'm a recorded chain of custody, including being handcuffed to the suitcase. Each test costs around 40,000. With no allegations or evidence of the FBI or CIA, or USA Wrestling and USADA covering up..

Vs the well documented incidents and scandals, abs state sponsored doping and now 3 medalists stripped... and their entire team outside of 65kg and 84 kg, had gas tank/horsepower issues out of nowhere across all 3 styles (that don't even have the pressure and overconfidence issues of Burrough's as a legitimate alternative reason).when the Russians were actually being tested again

But hey @Grappler111 "thinks" US wrestlers are on steroids because according to his hatred and jealously of the us wrestlers to compensate for not being from a power country. Likes to say that's the only way we win :rolleyes:.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary..

I know the US should just pay athletes to transfer here. Why develop our own athletes when we can just bring them in and claim them as our own till called out on it.. just like Grappler111

Wada antidoping agency work pretty much the same in all countries. The procedure are that, USADA doesn't do anything special.

Actually are surfacing now several documents Hacked from wada regarding some USA athletes at RIO Games. If proved true, its appears that many USA athletes had terapeutic prescription for banned substance.

CsOZ8nAWIAA4j7E.jpg

Wada antidoping agency work pretty much the same in all countries. The procedure are that, USADA doesn't do anything special.

Actually are surfacing now several documents Hacked from wada regarding some USA athletes at RIO Games. If proved true, its appears that many USA athletes had terapeutic prescription for banned substance.

CsOZ8nAWIAA4j7E.jpg
Them I'll be just as critical if this actually comes through.. what wrestlers and it's still nowhere close to the same thing..

Once again... private individuals from a rich country with the 3rd highest population are using vs the actual state and federal government paying for and covering it up. Like I said.. if USADA, the FBI & CIA, the USOC and president Obama are implicated.. I will be just as critical

and I was under the distinct impression that USADA hadn't been found corrupting samples or having holes in their wall to switch out samples.. but hey its whatever I'm just an american so my opinion us automatically invalidated when discussing foreign affairs, which is fair I guess

Burroughs most overrated wrestler ever.
How so? do actually have reasons beyond one bad tournament in 6 years, or because he doesn't eye gouge and pull singlet like the foreigners

EDIT: I don't actually hate foreign wrestlers, just patently annoying that people ignore obvious things and act like they are no big deal

Last edited:
Them I'll be just as critical if this actually comes through.. what wrestlers and it's still nowhere close to the same thing..

Once again... private individuals from a rich country with the 3rd highest population are using vs the actual state and federal government paying for and covering it up. Like I said.. if USADA, the FBI & CIA, the USOC and president Obama are implicated.. I will be just as critical

and I was under the distinct impression that USADA hadn't been found corrupting samples or having holes in their wall to switch out samples.. but hey its whatever I'm just an american so my opinion us automatically invalidated when discussing foreign affairs, which is fair I guess

I was just saying that this is often a really complicate matter, with unfortunately a high degree of politics involved. So it is better never judge to fast and leave to the Sport arbitration court to solve the things.

And also just to clarify that what USADA do is the normal wada policy that is carried on by all countries and sport federation that signed the wada code, and that are sanctioned in case of infraction as it happened with the russian affair.

The problem of doing a real Antidoping policies, is that often the "clean" athletes is just the one that used better the regulations in his favour (this case that is coming out with the terapetic esemption of some USA athletes or even what happened in MMA with TRT prescription in past).

This is crazy
Hmmm we have one country (called the USA) that is under USADA, an anti-doping agency so strict and thorough
that the people tested are subjected random BLOOD and urine testing ANY TIME and ANYWHERE. Literally, as in athletes are required to fill out where they are and will be and notify when when they change locations. The the tester which shows up at around 6am then proceeds to follow the subject around everywhere including the bathroom till they get their sample. The sample is then taken I'm a recorded chain of custody, including being handcuffed to the suitcase. Each test costs around 40,000. With no allegations or evidence of the FBI or CIA, or USA Wrestling and USADA covering up..

Random testing which is anytime/anywhere is the he current olympic antidoping protocol followed by all countries and not just the US.
Victor Conte has explained that the antidoping testing body in US were purposely allowing its athletes to escape by focusing its testing in the wrong time period instead of in the off-season.

"Conte says that leading up to the 2008 Olympics, the agency did exactly the opposite of what he suggested. It reduced the number of tests during the power-building time period."

Google Wade Exum, a testing official who filed suit for racial bias and wrongful termination because he tried to do his job correctly.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/exum-claims-large-scale-cover-up-of-doping-positives/
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/17/sports/olympics-anti-doping-official-says-us-covered-up.html
"His charges suggest that American athletes who use illegal substances have nothing to fear from the Olympic authorities and that any time he tried to intercede to improve the system he was undercut by superiors."
"Moreover, in his nine years of uncovering scores of athletes presumed positive for testosterone, Plaintiff Exum has never once seen an athlete sanctioned by the USOC for using that prohibited substance. Additionally, USOC has jeopardized its International Standardisations Organisation (ISO) certification for doping control.""

Former Lock Haven wrestler Chance Marsteller had cocaine and marijuana in his system, and a blood alcohol level of more than three times the legal limit (.274) when he was arrested on multiple charges in late August, Clinton County district attorney David Strouse said.

Strouse added a charge of public drunkenness Tuesday against Marsteller, a four-time undefeated state champ from Kennard-Dale High School.

On Aug. 25, Lock Haven police said they were called to a university-owned apartment for reports of a naked man banging on doors. Police said they found Marsteller clad in a towel, and took him into custody after he dropped it twice, exposing his genitals.

What a damn shame.

Source:
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/ex-lock_haven_university_wrest.html

Anyone been watching Cadets? USA is doing fabulously! Kurt McHenry, my fellow VA native, took gold, Vitali Arujua (Son of 2x world champ Vougar Orodjov) took silver,and we got 2 bronzes to boot from David Car and Jacob Warner. Considering our experienced guys Yianni and Steveson will be competing tomorrow I think that's pretty darn good! The younger generations are getting very good at Freestyle.

Anyone been watching Cadets? USA is doing fabulously! Kurt McHenry, my fellow VA native, took gold, Vitali Arujua (Son of 2x world champ Vougar Orodjov) took silver,and we got 2 bronzes to boot from David Car and Jacob Warner. Considering our experienced guys Yianni and Steveson will be competing tomorrow I think that's pretty darn good! The younger generations are getting very good at Freestyle.

This is news to me. I assumed Yianni was of Greek heritage based on his last name. No wonder he's such a stud.

Completely missed this until right now but also saw Jack Davis took 5th in greco. Pretty happy for him and his family.

Grappler111 is going to have a meltdown as the us gets better.. poor baby

Back