2016 Oscars (SPOTLIGHT Wins Best Picture; Leo DiCaprio Wins Best Actor)

George Miller directed the shit outta the most technically efficient action ever.

Ex machina got snubbed. Sci to and action will never get their the respect.

I can direct the Revenant. Hold my beer. Pretentious drivel will always beat out technical mastery of filming.
Emperors new clothes anyone? Pardon my lazy writing on damn tablet.

F the Oscars I haven't watched that shit since Jamie foxxs trophy speech. End rant.

I can direct the Revenant. Hold my beer. Pretentious drivel will always beat out technical mastery of filming.

Funny you make this comment because I was thinking earlier about how Innarritu put on a technical clinic in the opening of the film. And continued to do so all the way through.

I hate to even say but I thought Mad Max was . . . kind of boring. Yes, phenomenal design on all levels, solid acting, and amazing practical effects and action choreography, but the story just wasn't there for me. I needed more. Though to be fair, I typically don't get into post-apocalyptic stuff. .

I'm glad that someone else appreciates Steve Jobs. That movie is quite underrated. Not only did it get no love from the Academy, but almost no one went to see it. I've watched it twice already and really do think it's great.

Did you see it in the movie theatre? I saw it a second time at home and it wasn't quite as good as the big screen.

Did you see it in the movie theatre? I saw it a second time at home and it wasn't quite as good as the big screen.

Yeah, I went and saw it in the theater with a friend of mine. He agreed that it "wasn't the best movie ever made or anything" but it had some things going for it.

Honestly, the way I feel, is that where it's strong . . . it's VERY strong. But where it's weak it's very weak. And unfortunately it's major weak point is the story which is kind of the whole point of any movie, barring experimental films.

Funny you make this comment because I was thinking earlier about how Innarritu put on a technical clinic in the opening of the film. And continued to do so all the way through.
Duly noted. I was kind of just ranting.

On the flip side, the fact that you found Madmax boring is interesting to me. Amazing for an 80 year old guy constructing the best practical action sequences to date is not lost on me.

FINALLY!!

rs_500x280-141111110716-af9.gif

Gbxx90A.gif

35c6b4251b94f0d7_leo_dance_1_.xxxlarge.gif

ALQnqht.jpg

Duly noted. I was kind of just ranting.

On the flip side, the fact that you found Madmax boring is interesting to me. Amazing for an 80 year old guy constructing the best practical action sequences to date is not lost on me.

It's extremely interesting from a standpoint of appreciating certain specific aspects of the craft of filmmaking. It's just not that interesting--to me--from a standpoint of storytelling.

Fuck. I always enjoyed the jokes that he would always be nominated, but never win.

Oh well, the accademy must have started to feel sorry for him, and since it's been a shallow year for great performances, might as well give it to Leo.

He's white, of course he got an Oscar

It's about time that guy caught a break in life.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Beach-St-Barth-2.jpg

I'm happy for him. He seems like a cool guy and I can really appreciate how he made super-smart choices and avoided going the path of other teen hearthrobs who fuck everything up and end up in straight-to-video movies (if they're still working) by the time they're 24.

Congrats to Leo. I kind of feel about him winning the Oscar the way I felt about Bisping beating Silva. Both guys worked hard and finally got a big win.

(Not that I'm saying Leo is like a Bisping of Hollywood. That's not really a proper connection.)

Leo 4 Life, man.

He deserved it.. The Aviator is still my favorite performance of his.

I can't believe how many people consider this one of the most important happenings (or THE most important happening) on the planet. It's all fake and surreal, winning an Oscar is equal to buying a cheeseburger or drinking a glass of water.

I first watched a fucking cam version of mad max, a SHITTY cam version of mad max at home, and it blew me away, then I went to see it in theater about 6 times, 3 on acid (at least), and watched a better cam version until an HD version got released. Best movie since Black Swan, easily. Only movie besides Black Swan that generated that kind of response from me. Although, Black Swan is still holding up for me over 5 years later, so, it's not quite on the same level for me... but still, the most entertaining movie I've seen in a long time. Huge replay value. You know what really helps both of those films? The soundtracks are fucking amazing and powerful and I can just play them in the background while I do other stuff (altho... I do actually watch Black Swan almost every time I watch it - Mad Max not as much).

Man, this scene and later when Furiosa saves Max from falling and she gets stabbed are two of the most epic scenes ever.

Actually, the whole movie is just one long epic fucking movie, every scene is great.

Last edited:
I gotta say, i wasn't really impressed by Revenant. The cinematography was wannabe T.Malick, the trek back to civilization was overdrawn to the point that the revenge motivation was lost. All of that falls on the director, imo.
Well, the cinematographer that won has done the cinematography for 5 of Malick's movies.

Congratz DiCaprio for the last non political correct Oscar for the best actor.

I can't believe how many people consider this one of the most important happenings (or THE most important happening) on the planet. It's all fake and surreal, winning an Oscar is equal to buying a cheeseburger or drinking a glass of water.

68138992.jpg

Back