NCAA Wrestling

Junior Greco is going on now aaaaaaaand we have a world champ! Congratulations to Kamal Bey! Guys, if you are in the "Greco bores me to tears boat" you have to check out Bey. He is always tons of excitement and hits big moves. Bey is an athletic specimen to behold. He tore his way through the field today!

If all Greco matches were like his, I'd actually care about it.

"PD2" is an absolute buffoon. Easy to see why the son is the way he is. Each post reaches a new low.

And props to Bey. Admittedly I don't know much about Greco, but that finals match was seriously awesome. Kid he was wrestling was a stud.

Do not know. Truth be told though, I have no issue with the decision. Here's what I said on The Mat a while back when rumors of this first broke. I was quoting someone who said "Not releasing an athlete is ridiculous"

I disagree but it's very situational. Take a guy like Stout and compare the situation to Suriano (if he actually does try to transfer). Stout is probably not tying up any scholarship money and he ultimately has no chance at starting. Why not give him a chance to start elsewhere? Suriano is probably tying up quite a bit in scholarship money, took a lot of time and effort to recruit, and on top of it, it leaves Penn State without a replacement. I expect most will disagree but that's my opinion.

I have a lot of theories on why he wants out but at the end of the day, I don't think anyone with an ounce of knowledge about this sport thinks this move is in his best interest as an athlete.

My theories in order of my opinion of likelihood:

1. Nick just didn't fit in. If you follow any of the Penn State guys on social media, they seem to be a really tight knit group. Bo, Nolf, Cenzo, and Zain seem like they are all best friends. Cutch is in that group as well as is Hall to a lesser degree. They all seem to have a goofy disposition and don't really take much too seriously. Nick's demeanor always seemed to be very serious and focused. I feel he may have felt like an outsider surrounded by guys that he didn't fit in with.

2. Suriano's father is pissed he didn't redshirt this season. He got hurt and didn't have a shot at 4 titles.

3. They weren't satisfied with his training partners. Hear me out here. Who was Nick's #1 partner this season in the room? Cortez. He got hurt a quarter of the way through the season. So Nick was drilling with guys who weren't anywhere near his level. Now Cortez is going up to 141.

4. Nick wants to move up to 133 but Cael is blocking it due to the Keener transfer. A grad transfer just transferred in to fill a gap and if Nick wants to move up, Keener would be benched and they wouldn't have a suitable 125.

I think it's #1.

I also think being away from home probably played a big role too. Italians from this area are very family oriented.

PSU came out today and said they granted a full release, so now it's in the big tens hands if they grant Suriano a waiver so he doesn't lose eligibility.

Don't see why they would tbh.

Wrestling scholarships aren't like football of basketball. It's not a guaranteed 4 years instead it's a year to year deal.

Wrestling also isn't a revenue generating sport.

Because of those 2 things I understand why Basketball and Football would clamp down on transfers but I think non revenue sports where the scholarships are at the whimsy of the coaching staff and AD the athletes should also be able to make decision on a year by year basis without punishment.

You also have the issue of schools offering a scholarship and pulling it back when they out recruit themselves (Thomas Haines at both PSU and OSU).

I'm always going to side with the student athlete when it comes to an unconditional release.

I wish Downey's dad would go back to posting on themat. Lol. Jesus Christ 20 some odd topics on the front page all about Suriano. Keep that shit to one thread!!!!

After Fix's World Title run do you guys think he leap frogged Spencer Lee as a prospect?

After Fix's World Title run do you guys think he leap frogged Spencer Lee as a prospect?
most likely, just based on the fact that Lee's success came at a much smaller weight, so he's going to have to do a lot of growing into 125 in college to compete with the much larger guys cutting down. Skill wise they're both pretty even but I think Fix could make a decent impact immediately, where as it might take Lee a year or two to catch up. And of course I could totally be wrong and Lee could be a monster right out of the gate. Lol

Yes, that kid is a freak. His trapped arm gut is so money. I think Lee was beating smaller guys and it's going to be a tough adjustment at 125. I'd like to be wrong because he is amazing to watch and a great kid, but it's just a gut feeling.

Yes, that kid is a freak. His trapped arm gut is so money. I think Lee was beating smaller guys and it's going to be a tough adjustment at 125. I'd like to be wrong because he is amazing to watch and a great kid, but it's just a gut feeling.

Lee was winning the Takedown battle against him as the smaller guy though... of he bulks up to the same size it will help him on the mat against Fix.

I said about 3 years ago on this very board that if Lee stays healthy and can grow into the weight, he won't lose in college. I stand by that.

Back