NCAA Wrestling

So they have a spot open for Delgado?

I don't see why they wouldn't. Dennis is no longer competing, I'm not so sure with McDonough, and Ray-Mos left to UNC. At the time Perry went to Illinois, Chase Pami and Novachkov followed him. I'm pretty sure Imar will follow also once he graduates

Edit: Delgado had also left Cal Poly to Illinois for Perry, thoughHunter deserves a lot of credit for Delgado as well.

Anyone get a chance to watch some of the Beat the Streets E vs W matches? Haven't had a chance yet, but from the results looks like there were a bunch of lopsided matches.

I know it's early, but I really believe the US is going to have a strong showing in Aug. I think we medal in at least 4 weight classes.

Anyone have a Flo subscription and happen to catch the annual Beat the Streets event? It was a smash job with America stomping Japan as should be expected but Zain managed to pick himself up a decent international win when he broke Takatani, which is the wrestler Pico beat for gold on the age level circuit and which also has some good wins a the senior level including wins over Navruzov of Uzbekistan. The bout was competitive in the beginning and Zain showed some amazing defensive skills and then Zain's pressure became too overwhelming for Takatani and Zain scored in bunches to end the match.

Although he lost, Jordan Oliver hung tough with Frank Chamizo with the bout ending 7-6. A part of me feels like we didn't see the best Chamizo out there, but still nice to see Oliver be that competitive with a guy of Chamizo's caliber. Seeing this result does make me a little upset that given all his talent and ability to best guys like Kurbanaliev and fight valiantly against Chamizo Oliver refuses to compete overseas. I will post the videos when they become available.

Anyone get a chance to watch some of the Beat the Streets E vs W matches? Haven't had a chance yet, but from the results looks like there were a bunch of lopsided matches.

I know it's early, but I really believe the US is going to have a strong showing in Aug. I think we medal in at least 4 weight classes.

Depending on what happens at the WTT, there's a very high chance of 6 medals imo.

61-Stieber
65-Oliver or Retherford
70-Green
74-Burroughs
86-Taylor
97-Snyder

Depending on what happens at the WTT, there's a very high chance of 6 medals imo.

61-Stieber
65-Oliver or Retherford
70-Green
74-Burroughs
86-Taylor
97-Snyder

Stieber is a difficult prediction for me. He can be inconsistent. And imo Burroughs won't even be representing us, Dake finally gets it done at the trials. Outside of Snyder, I actually think Green has the best shot at taking gold.

I dont know. Can Sadulaev handle Kyle's pace? Kyle's pace for his size/strength is insane.

My questions concerning the matchup
1. Can Snyder knock Saduliav out of position? No one has
2. How will Snyder finish once/if he gets to a leg
3. Can Sadulaev firemans carry him
4. Can Sadulaev go hard late in six minute close match

Have we even seen Sadulaev scored on yet? I honestly cant remember.

Sadulaev beats Snyder comfortably imo.

Come worlds, here's my take
57 - No shot at anything
61 - Could be gold, could be nothing. Worth noting that Steiber won worlds in a non-Olympic weight during an Olympic year. You know some of the better guys either went 57 or 65 for Olys. I'm thinking 5th.
65 - Even though he'll have to go through the challenge, I like Zain to beat Frank and Oliver to make the team. I don't think he places but I do think he picks up some wins. 7th-9th is a reasonable expectation.
70 - Green should be in the 3rd to 7th range.
74 - I still think JB takes the spot in 2 straight over Dake. I think his issue is mental. Just watching him at BTS, he still seems to have all the physical tools. I think Geduev is just a little too big for him. 2nd place is my guess.
86 - Taylor won't be too beat up from the challenge bracket so I think it won't matter too much. He's so much better than everyone else other than Cox at the weight. If he wrestles like he has been, I think he has a real shot at winning it with Sadulaev going up. Bare minimum, whether it be Cox or Taylor, I think 5th is the floor.
97 - Snyder will take 2nd.
HWT - Swing and a miss from Gwiz.

57 - No shot at anything
61 - Could be gold, could be nothing. Worth noting that Steiber won worlds in a non-Olympic weight during an Olympic year. You know some of the better guys either went 57 or 65 for Olys. I'm thinking 5th.
65 - Even though he'll have to go through the challenge, I like Zain to beat Frank and Oliver to make the team. I don't think he places but I do think he picks up some wins. 7th-9th is a reasonable expectation.
74 - I still think JB takes the spot in 2 straight over Dake. I think his issue is mental. Just watching him at BTS, he still seems to have all the physical tools. I think Geduev is just a little too big for him. 2nd place is my guess.
86 - Taylor won't be too beat up from the challenge bracket so I think it won't matter too much. He's so much better than everyone else other than Cox at the weight. If he wrestles like he has been, I think he has a real shot at winning it with Sadulaev going up. Bare minimum, whether it be Cox or Taylor, I think 5th is the floor.

Isn't Geduev going up to 86 if Sadulev bumps?

I think Sadulev is the obviously the favorite but Snyder has been competing at the tougher weightclass.

I think the question is can Snyder put on his normal pressure without Sadulev scoring because when he scores he does it in bunches.

Kind of like Dake vs JB where Dake opening up exposes him to JBs offense.

In NCAA news McKenna is thinking of leaving Stanford and he's looking at PSU, Iowa, tOSU and Lehigh.

If he goes to PSU they have a legit show at 6 champs next year.

Penn State has a legit shot at 6 champs without him. Suriano, Zain, Nolf, cenzo, Hall, and Bo

57 - No shot at anything

Snyder may not place at all depending on the bracket. The possibility exists that he faces Sadulaev early, as accomplishments don't get carried across weight classes.

Snyder may not place at all depending on the bracket. The possibility exists that he faces Sadulaev early, as accomplishments don't get carried across weight classes.

Even if he loses to Sad early, he'd still go through repechage and take 3rd.

Geduev isn't wrestling in Russian Nationals due to a knee injury. Interesting.

Back