2015 MLB Offseason Discussion V1:Puig Besmirched, Bonds Back, Big PED retires etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCansLoom16

"What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12
@Black
Reaction score
8939396851_37eee24a08_o.gif

puigtriplebatflipnlcs3.gif

bonds-piro.gif

Fernandez was 3rd in cy Young voting as a 22 year old. He is already a ace and it isn't that much of a long shot of him becoming the best pitcher in the league.

Even if Urias is mlb ready you can't expect him to be a ace right away. He could take years to adjust to the majors for all we know, and the potential of him busting is a lot higher then Fernandez flaming out.

Seems like a no brainer for the Dodgers. Still have him under controll for 3 years then when he is 26 you can pay him anything to keep him a dodger for his career.

All that said I hope he stays in MIA

A no brainer to trade 5 top prospects for one guy? Ok that makes sense.

Sure Urias may take a few years to adjust but I highly doubt it. He's extremely polished has dominated at every level, has very good control and amazing stuff.

Fernandez could also be injury prone his entire career.

Once again if it was just Urias id do it in a second but Miami started by asking for Seager and Urias plus 3 more top prospects. No one is worth that

[YT]SXqK9BASLHc[/YT]

I didn't see 5 guys. Figured it was Urias + 1.

Hope Big Ped has a fatal pots overdose in the near future.

Think they're asking for Seager, Urias +3 more. Fuck that.

Ten bold predictions for the month of December, Jim Bowden, ESPN Staff/Senior Writer

As we prepare for the Major League Baseball winter meetings in Nashville next week, the Hot Stove is heating up, and deals are already getting done. But there are plenty of big names still available, and here are my predictions for where they end up.

1. The Giants sign Justin Upton

The San Francisco Giants have made signing an elite starting pitcher and a right-handed-hitting left fielder as their top two priorities this offseason. While there's a chance they fail to land that elite starter, I don't see them missing out on Upton, who has long been a favorite of Giants manager Bruce Bochy. Upton would fit in nicely in left field and in the middle of the Giants' lineup.

2. The Dodgers re-sign Zack Greinke

I feel the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants or Chicago Cubs have the best shot at signing Greinke to a long-term deal, in part because he likes to hit and thus prefers the National League. But in the end, I say he remains with the Dodgers. He enjoyed pitching at Dodger Stadium and established a very good working relationship with catcher Yasmani Grandal. Plus, the Dodgers allowed him to be in their draft room during the 2015 MLB draft, which might seem like a small thing, but for the cerebral Greinke, it was definitely appreciated. I can't see the Dodgers letting him get away, especially to the rival Giants.

3. The Red Sox land David Price

My initial instincts were that Price would end up in the National League, whether it'd be a reunion with manager Joe Maddon in Chicago or a pairing with fellow ace lefty Madison Bumgarner and the Giants. But from what I'm hearing, the Boston Red Sox won't let Price get away. In fact, I think they'll give him something close to my initial signing projection for him of seven years, $213.5 million.

Boston president Dave Dombrowski has a long history of paying what it takes to sign elite players -- see Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander -- and Price should be no different. Dombrowski both traded for and traded away Price when he was with the Tigers, and has a strong relationship with him. The Red Sox historically don't like to give long-term contracts to 30-something pitchers, but I feel they'll make an exception for Price.

4. The Angels get Jason Heyward

Rookie general manager Billy Eppler already acquired arguably the best defensive player in the game when he traded for shortstop Andrelton Simmons from the Braves. Now he and the Los Angeles Angels can put together one of the game's best defensive outfields if he can land free agent Heyward; Gold Glover Kole Calhoun would move to left field, with speedy Mike Trout remaining in center.

5. The Marlins make a splash and land Yoenis Cespedes

The Miami Marlins need to do more than just bring manager Don Mattingly on board. They’re desperate for another middle-of-the-lineup hitter so teams don't pitch around Giancarlo Stanton, and Cespedes would be the perfect fit, not only offensively, but his Cuban-American heritage would resonate in South Florida. The Marlins have done a good job improving the front office this offseason; now it's time to concentrate on the team itself.

6. The Diamondbacks get their man Kenta Maeda

The Arizona Diamondbacks are "all-in" on getting a top-of-rotation starter -- which their failed attempt to sign Johnny Cueto might indicate -- and Maeda is said to have top-of-rotation stuff. Maeda, from the Hiroshima Carp of the Japan Central League, is expected to be posted shortly, and when he does, the Diamondbacks will be aggressive in their pursuit of him; D-backs GM Dave Stewart has had his eye on him for a few years now. Arizona will find a way to bring in at least a solid starting pitcher this offseason, and Maeda could be their best bet.

7. Chris Davis returns to Baltimore

Davis reportedly wants to return to Baltimore, and the Orioles have made him their top priority this offseason. The difficult part is Davis is represented by the (Scott) Boras Corporation, and their suggested range of where he should be paid is astronomical based on his elite power numbers. The Cardinals, Astros and White Sox will still be interested in him, but I doubt they will go as far as the O's are willing to go to sign Davis.

8. The Astros trade for Aroldis Chapman

The Astros have made acquiring a closer their top offseason priority, and Reds fireballer Chapman is No. 1 on their target list. The Astros are coming off three banner drafts and have a bevy of prospects they can offer Cincinnati to get a deal done. The Reds are hoping to get three top prospects in return for Chapman, but might have to settle for two top prospects and a midlevel prospect.

9. The Dodgers trade Yasiel Puig to either the Rays or Indians

Many Dodgers players have had enough of Puig's antics and lack of focus; they're tired of waiting for him to figure it out. Meanwhile, the Dodgers are desperately in need of young, controllable starting pitching, and have to consider moving him if the offer is right. Los Angeles has the resources to replace Puig's talent either in free agency, trade or international signings, and replacing Puig production's is a lot easier than getting top-notch starting pitching. The Dodgers match up well with both the Tampa Bay Rays and Cleveland Indians, as both teams have quality young starters to deal and both are in need of an affordable power bat.

10. And finally … Pete Rose is not reinstated

Commissioner Rob Manfred has made it clear that by the end of this calendar year, he will make a decision on Rose's application for reinstatement to Major League Baseball. I predict Manfred will not reinstate him based on the overwhelming evidence of his violations of Rule 21 (d), which is posted in every Major League Baseball clubhouse. The rule clearly states: "Any player, umpire or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible." Rose's agreement with baseball does allow him to apply to be reinstated, but there's no reason for baseball to do so unless they intend to change Rule 21 (d), which is unlikely. To prevent present and future MLB employees from betting -- and out of respect for his predecessors as commissioner of baseball -- it's unlikely Manfred makes an exception here.

In addition, the reality here is that no team at this point would hire him to manage or coach their team, and there's no way he'd get enough votes from the veterans committee to get into the Hall of Fame anyway. Rose is the MLB hit king, and his performance on the field was definitely Hall of Fame-worthy, but he'll forever be known as the player who didn't get into the Hall of Fame because of a gambling addiction, and hopefully serve as an example to other employees so they don't make the same mistake.

I didn't see 5 guys. Figured it was Urias + 1.

Nope Marlins want 5 or 6 top prospects.

I get being wary about prospects but Dodgers have developed

Kershaw
Billingsley
Kemp
Gordon
Jansen
Puig
Seager
Pederson
Ethier
Martin

The Dodgers elite prospects pan out at quite a high percentage

This Puig stuff is huge if it's true.

I would give Upton 6 years and feel okay about it, but I think he will shoot for 7. Still only 28 years old, surprised he isn't getting much mention.

Well since they're not endangered of losing fernandez in the near future I can see why they're asking for a lot. I would do the same and hope a desperate team trades for him.

I'd rather have upton or cespedes than gheyward.

Well since they're not endangered of losing fernandez in the near future I can see why they're asking for a lot. I would do the same and hope a desperate team trades for him.

Yeah it makes sense. He is that good and it is a possible a GM/Owner will lose their mind with dreams of Cy Youngs and agree to anything.

The deal had me curious on the success rate on prospects because it seems like a lot of top end guys bust, so I looked for some studies.

And for names of recent top 10 guys because they are much easier to recognize

Rick Ankiel
Pat Burrell
Corey Patterson
Vernon Wells
Nick Johnson
Ruben Mateo
Sean Burroughs
Rafael Furcal
Ryan Anderson
John Patterson

Josh Hamilton
Corey Patterson
Josh Beckett
Jon Rauch
Ben Sheets
Sean Burroughs
CC Sabathia
Ryan Anderson
Ichiro Suzuki
Nick Johnson

Josh Beckett
Mark Prior
Hank Blalock
Sean Burroughs
Carlos Pena
Juan Cruz
Joe Mauer
Wilson Betemit
Drew Henson
Mark Teixeira

Mark Teixeira
Rocco Baldelli
Jose Reyes
Joe Mauer
Jesse Foppert
Jose Contreras
Brandon Phillips
Hideki Matsui
Gavin Floyd
Francisco Rodriguez

Joe Mauer
B.J. Upton
Delmon Young
Edwin Jackson
Rickie Weeks
Alex Rios
Kaz Matsui
Greg Miller
Grady Sizemore
Prince Fielder

Joe Mauer
Felix Hernandez
Delmon Young
Ian Stewart
Joel Guzman
Casey Kotchman
Scott Kazmir
Rickie Weeks
Andy Marte
Hanley Ramirez

Delmon Young
Justin Upton
Brandon Wood
Jeremy Hermida
Stephen Drew
Francisco Liriano
Chad Billingsley
Justin Verlander
Lastings MIlledge
Matt Cain

Daisuke Matsuzaka
Alex Gordon
Delmon Young
Phil Hughes
Homer Bailey
Cameron Maybin
Evan Longoria
Brandon Wood
Justin Upton
Andrew Miller

Jay Bruce
Evan Longoria
Joba Chamberlain
Clay Buchholz
Colby Rasmus
Cameron Maybin
Clayton Kershaw
Franklin Morales
Homer Bailey
David Price

Matt Wieters
David Price
Colby Rasmus
Tommy Hanson
Jason Heyward
Travis Snider
Brett Anderson
Cameron Maybin
Madison Bumgarner
Neftali Feliz

Only team who can save the Jays from the worst free agent signing in the offseason is the Angels. You just know they will come through.

Would not trade them half of what they are asking for. They are keeping Fernandez.

But defensive runs saved, bruh?

Left field is one of the easier positions to field, both upton and cespedes are more than formidable there and Calhoun is fine in right. The defensive upgrade wouldn't be very big.

Zobrist's agent may have just fucked him over. He leaked to the Mets that Zobrist had an offer in place from another team for 4 years, 80 mil, and the Mets are like, "...yeah, right. If so, he should take it."

LOL

Only team who can save the Jays from the worst free agent signing in the offseason is the Angels. You just know they will come through.

Td pls

Zobrist's agent may have just fucked him over. He leaked to the Mets that Zobrist had an offer in place from another team for 4 years, 80 mil, and the Mets are like, "...yeah, right. If so, he should take it."

LOL

80 mil? He should take it... won't see that number from the Mets in this lifetime.

lol @ zobrist getting 20 a year.

Upton will probably get 7yrs/150 or so, team that signs him will be making a mistake.

CesPEDes is the most likely to get paid and then stop caring...

Pedro Gomez ‏@pedrogomezESPN 23m23 minutes ago
Hearing the @SFGiants are hot for Alex Gordon. @Royals won't be able to keep up with the money Gordon is hearing.

I'd take him at 3 years, 4 is stretching it

I'd like Upton over Heyward as well. I don't mind advance stats but can't see any corner outfielder making that big of a difference on defense.

Uptons going to be slightly cheaper because he's 2 years older and Heywards the better player.

Isn't Alex Gordon still 31? Someone will give him a 5th year...

Heyward is going to get paid by a team who cares too much about WAR.

The best players in the league consistently grade out the highest in WAR. Who woulda thought eh Revo

That's what the word around KC is. 5 years and ~100 mil is what he's looking for.

I'm just not sold on defensive runs saved / DWAR. Kevin Kiermaier was more valuable then Anthony Rizzo last year? Chris Davis had 47 HRs and 117 RBIs but Ian Kinsler wins you more games because of that clutch 2B defense.

That's not horrible money for Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back