2015 Freestyle/Greco-Roman (International) Wrestling Discussion

Molinaro is toast, worst draw possible. Hate to say it.

People oneed themat are saying Safryn hasn't looked good this year.

Also Novachkov is now qualified since someone in Mongolia pissed hot. I wonder if that means the 3rd place guy will qualify if Novachkov makes the finals

Molinaro beat the former World champ and Japan, about to wrestle Novachkov

Team USA only sending 13 of 18 weights. Extremely, extremely disappointing.

Team USA only sending 13 of 18 weights. Extremely, extremely disappointing.

Rumor has it that Molinaro can still make it since he took 3rd and the Ukrainian who qualified at Euros pissed hot. Dlagnev posted saying Frank might get the spot.

oqTaG2y.jpg

Lw6P1Q2.jpg

S9p648f.jpg

From the UWW website:

F. REALLOCATION OF UNUSED QUOTA PLACES

REALLOCATION OF UNUSED QUALIFICATION PLACES
If an allocated quota place is not confirmed by the NOC by the confirmation of quota place deadline or is declined by the NOC, the quota place will be reallocated in the same weight category to the NOC of the next best ranked athlete, not yet qualified, in the qualification event where the quota place was obtained, and respecting the maximum quota of one (1) athlete per NOC per event

Canada is sending a full female roster.
The mens roster i only know of Haislan Garcia and Korey Jarvis.

Slim roster but can have some good hopes.

If they changed back to doing the 1 point "almost" takedown. It's a mistake. The whole point of getting rid of 5 point throws in freestyle, getting rid of hand to hand roll in par terre being 1 point is to simplify and promote action and have less controversial calls
The almost takedown is still part of the rules, at least for now, maybe it will soon change again. After all, after the upcoming Olympics the forced par terre in greco will be eliminated; UWW was going to eliminate it prior to the Olympics but since wrestlers had already qualified under those rules they didn't want to change the rules for upcoming qualifiers. And posters on other wrestling boards are trying to claim folkstyle wrestling has more changes than Olympic style. "The folkstyle narrative", hahaha.

I'll try to get onto more depth later, but the short answer is that A LOT of American refs are inferior
That is probably a big issue, don't know much in regards to the referees.

I don't like how so many passivity calls seem to be in favor of the wrestler that stays closer to the center of the mat despite making few if any offensive attacks. This isn't king of the center of the mat. Also, holding that position by blocking is supposedly passivity put won't be called.

The almost takedown is still part of the rules, at least for now, maybe it will soon change again. After all, after the upcoming Olympics the forced par terre in greco will be eliminated; UWW was going to eliminate it prior to the Olympics but since wrestlers had already qualified under those rules they didn't want to change the rules for upcoming qualifiers. And posters on other wrestling boards are trying to claim folkstyle wrestling has more changes than Olympic style. "The folkstyle narrative", hahaha.

That is probably a big issue, don't know much in regards to the referees.

I don't like how so many passivity calls seem to be in favor of the wrestler that stays closer to the center of the mat despite making few if any offensive attacks. This isn't king of the center of the mat. Also, holding that position by blocking is supposedly passivity put won't be called.
The forced par terre has made greco watchable again

The forced par terre has made greco watchable again
It is gone after the 2016 games
https://unitedworldwrestling.org/ar...o-roman-rules-reinstates-the-five-point-throw
The international federation had sought to eliminate the forced “par-terre” position at the senior level, but with the first Olympic qualifier in September at the 2015 World Championships in Las Vegas, the decision was made to withhold the overhaul until after Rio 2016.

Since they are holding world championships for non Olympic weights this year, I wonder when that rule change will actually happen. Also, pretty sure there will be more rule changes whenever it is actually implemented at the senior level.

I'm really hoping we get to see Z Valencia vs Bo Nickal at the Jr WTTs.

Have they ever wrestled before? Who do you guys like in that matchup?

That's a great match. I like Zahid in that match but Nickal is game. Toss up my mind.

Nickal vs Zahid should be awesome. Nickal is super dangerous everywhere but I don't know that he has a consistent, go to attack as well developed as Zahid's single.

Anyone watch the beat the streets matches yesterday? Some really, really good ones. Fix won a really good one. The Iranian was hitting that same underhook move that ruined Humphrey at worlds a couple years ago. I dont know what they teach their wrestlers about underhooks over there but whenever they get one it makes our guys look like its the first time they've ever been in the position. If any of you have ever wrestled an Iranian I'd love some insight as to what the feel in that hold is like.

I really like watching the Iranians wrestle. They are so postionaly and fundamentally sound.

Nickal vs Zahid should be awesome. Nickal is super dangerous everywhere but I don't know that he has a consistent, go to attack as well developed as Zahid's single.

Anyone watch the beat the streets matches yesterday? Some really, really good ones. Fix won a really good one. The Iranian was hitting that same underhook move that ruined Humphrey at worlds a couple years ago. I dont know what they teach their wrestlers about underhooks over there but whenever they get one it makes our guys look like its the first time they've ever been in the position. If any of you have ever wrestled an Iranian I'd love some insight as to what the feel in that hold is like.

I really like watching the Iranians wrestle. They are so postionaly and fundamentally sound.
I've talked about it before, but Mark Perry did a technique DVD on his take on the Iranian style of underhooks

IMAR uses it all the time. I made a thread about the takedown he used to win in the finals
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/isiah-martinezs-winning-takedown-in-the-ncaa-finals.3211893/

My first college match was against another Freshman HWT from Sacred Heart. The thing is that Freshman was like 24 and an Iranian Greco Roman Champion who had competed at Worlds (Payam Zarrinpour) and I was not aware of this.

So I tie up with him and he throw me higher then I was ever tossed in a match and some how managed to take me down in a controlled fashion so it wasn't a slam.

I came off the mat and my coach was like "Polish, he's a Greco Roman National Champ in Iran."

To which I responded "That's information that would have been useful before the match coach."

Back