2015 Freestyle/Greco-Roman (International) Wrestling Discussion

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE BOARD AND READING, PLEASE JOIN THE BOARD AND POST! WE NEED MORE WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

Freestyle/Greco season is upon us, so it is time to start discussion! For those who don't know, in the U.S. we do folkstyle (also called collegiate) during our wrestling season. We are the only country who does folkstyle wrestling. Once the wrestling season ends in March, wrestlers train and compete in the international/olympic styles of freestyle and greco. Once wrestlers are done with NCAA wrestling, freestyle and greco are the avenues you go to continue wrestling competitively/make a living (kind of).

The Alexsandr Medved tournament was held in Bulgaria and Jordan Burroughs (2011 and 2013 World Gold Medalist, 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist, 2014 World Bronze Medalist) came out with the title. his career record for international freestyle wrestling is 98-2. Here is his semis match against the Bulgarian. GREAT match!

They also held the Grand Prix or Paris and Tony Ramos (University of Iowa NCAA champ) won a gold medal for USA at 57 kg:

Trailer for the World Cup taking place in Los Angeles on April 11th-12th:

Team USA finished 10th in the World in freestyle last year, which was extremely disappointing. I am hoping for a top 5 finish in freestyle and would be pretty bummed if we aren't able to do that.

Last edited:
Weight is problem,Snyder has 10kg on him,but no doubt in my mind..Sadulaev can win it but it depends on weight.

Southern Scuffle field formally announced. Rock solid as always.

southernscufflefield.png

Chance Marstellar is reminding me alot like Scott Winston.

excited that the world cup and world championships are on US soil

honestly i follow international wrestling more than NCAAs, which seems to be the opposite of 99% of wrestling fans in the US

some interesting story lines in 2015:

-Burroughs vs Tsargush, Burroughs is 2-1 vs him but the two wins were pretty close and the last match he lost handily, though he was injured.
-Burroughs vs Dake, Taylor, and Howe. Will Burroughs even be the guy at 74kg for the US?
-Can wunderkind Aaron Pico beat Brent Metcalf out for the spot at 65 kg? They have a match next month at AGON
-Will Ed Ruth reach his freakish potential and win a world level medal before retiring for MMA?
-Will Jake Varner come back to form? Will Jordan Oliver shake the label as a relative freestyle bust when he was predicted to storm past Metcalf for the spot years ago? Will either of the two compete in a big international tournament this year?
-Bilyal Makhov just won Russian Nationals for Greco. He won a bronze medal last year at the World Championships in Greco. He was a 3x World Champ in freestyle and was thought to be the next great heavyweight before stumbling in 2011 and 2012 (silver and bronze respectively). He says he intends to wrestle at Russian Nationals for Freestyle and that he wants to wrestle both Freestyle and Greco at the World Championships. It would be an unprecedented achievement in modern wrestling to win a world medal in both styles at the same championships.

Oklahoma State vs. Iowa on the 14th. Here are the match ups (rankings according to Intermat)

125 - Klimara (7) vs. Gilman (4)
133 - Harding (NR) vs. Clark (2)
141 - Heil (1) vs. Ryan (NR)
149 - Collica (8) vs. Sorensen (3)
157 - Marstellar (15) vs. Cooper (NR)
165 - Dieringer (1) vs. Paddock (NR)
174 - Crutchmer (4) vs. Meyer (6)
184 - Rogers (15) vs. Brooks (12)
197 - Shafer (NR) vs. Burak (4)
HWT - Marsden (NR) vs. Stoll (NR)

A lot more unranked guys than I was anticipating. Some obvious blowouts and some nail biters. Should be a good one.

Chance Marstellar is reminding me alot like Scott Winston.

Winston had injury problems and went to Rutgers. Marstellar is seemingly healthy and at OKST. There's a bit of a difference imo given the circumstances. As much as it's ingrained into my DNA to forever hate him, let's not jump the gun here. He is still only a RS freshman. Maybe next season with Dieringer gone, he can go up to 165 and be successful. I can't help but feel bad for him. Sometimes hype just ain't enough.

Looking back at the 2014 recruiting class, they are off to a pretty damn good start on the whole.

1 - Snyder - doesn't require much expansion here
2 - Marstaller - struggling
3 - Brill - not ranked but 3-0 so far
4 - Nolf - already ranked 3 in his weight
5 - Nevills - injured
6 - Jordan - dropped a ton of weight since HS but is ranked @ 141 with a win over Chisko
7 - Nickal - already ranked 5
8 - McKenna - off to an amazing start. ranked 4 but looking like the best in his class
9 - Haines - bench behind Tavanello
10 - Chisko - ranked 14 with a big win over Guilibon

-Bilyal Makhov just won Russian Nationals for Greco. He won a bronze medal last year at the World Championships in Greco. He was a 3x World Champ in freestyle and was thought to be the next great heavyweight before stumbling in 2011 and 2012 (silver and bronze respectively). He says he intends to wrestle at Russian Nationals for Freestyle and that he wants to wrestle both Freestyle and Greco at the World Championships. It would be an unprecedented achievement in modern wrestling to win a world medal in both styles at the same championships.

Fucking badass! Didn't hear about this until now.

Also just saw it's decision day for Mark Hall, 2:30 CST. From the looks of it, he's narrowed down to Minnesota, Arizona State, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin. I'd be shocked if he doesn't go to Minnesota. Wisconsin doesn't make any sense. Arizona State has the Valencias that he'd be battling with for a line up spot but they are also great training partners plus Zeke Jones. Still don't see him going outside the B1G though. OHST and PSU are great programs obviously and have shots but I don't see him leaving his home state when they have a great program. Of course, I'll be thrilled to see him in blue but I'm not counting on it.

Last season when Chance started wrestling at 165 he looked fine and he looked fine at 163 for freestyle this summer. The pull is just too much and he is stuck behind one of the best wrestlers of the last 10 years.

My only concern is that the losing and negative talk will affect him mentally going forward. He clearly has the technique but if he gets a mind set for losing it's hard to come back from that.

FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall puts on the Blue and White!

Fucking badass! Didn't hear about this until now.

The only guy who makes him look human/normal is Mijain Lopez, the modern day Karelin from Cuba.

Both are like 6'6 275 lbs.

I remember watching one Makhov match where his coaches threw a challenge cube after some questionable points awarded to his opponent and he angrily kicked it back and went ahead and threw the guy with not much time left in the match for the win.

David Taylor is moving up to 86 kg, very happy about this move. Not sure if his size will hold up.

Geno Morelli gets the nod for Penn State @ 165 after beating Rasheed at the Nittany Lion Open. Dual debut against Jordan and almost wins. Got taken down with :01 on the clock to lose. Heart breaker.

Side note, I wrestled his brother Mario a long, long time ago when I was in 8th grade.

Watched it last night, I don't think anyone was expecting that! I'm hoping it's a sign that Smith might have turned things around.

It's a long season and Smith coached teams always perform/wrestle better at NCAAs. They'll be fine. That match was crazy. I think Smith is going to keep the redshirt on his son personally. Otherwise Marstellar won't want to stay around and move up after this year.

and 133 is going to be amazing.
You have Garrett one of most consistent athlete wrestlers I've ever seen asides from Burroughs and is always looking to build his lead
Brewer - who could go 0-2 OR tech his was through the tournament
Clark, Taylor, Hall and a whole stable of studs who are not scared of eachother and now Brock is in the mix

The only guy who makes him look human/normal is Mijain Lopez, the modern day Karelin from Cuba.

Both are like 6'6 275 lbs.

I remember watching one Makhov match where his coaches threw a challenge cube after some questionable points awarded to his opponent and he angrily kicked it back and went ahead and threw the guy with not much time left in the match for the win.

Yeah I love Mijain, he's a freaking cannon.

Taylor to 86 was a no brainer imo. Think he's got as good a shot as any to represent the U.S. in Rio. He was never getting past Burroughs or Dake at 74.

I'd be very surprised if Lee doesn't go to Penn State at this point. So think about this. When Lee is a Freshman

Lee
Suriano
Cortez
Nolf
Hall
Nickal
Retherford
Nevills
Vincenzo Joseph

That line up is going to be terrifying. And if Lee commits, I'd expect Teasdale to be right behind him.

Interested to see Abdul Rashid Sadulaev moving forward. Jordan, to see if someone from the U.S. beat him and for him vs. Tsargush 4, and Pico.

Taylor to 86 was a no brainer imo. Think he's got as good a shot as any to represent the U.S. in Rio. He was never getting past Burroughs or Dake at 74.

Agreed

Plus he's long and has some time to fill in.

This also tells me that Ruth is not competing in 2016 or Taylor gets the better of him in the room which I would find surprising.

I'd really like to see McIntosh make a run for the team too.

Sadulaev is moving up? Oh man! He's going to be one of the great ones..

On a side note, I wanted to share this with the wrestling fans on Sherdog. It is a fundraiser by Beat The Streets Baltimore aimed at sending 30 middle/high schoolers to wrestle at NHSCA nationals. It's an amazing opportunity for these young men who are under-priviledged. So if you could even drop a dollar, or share it with some friends, I would really appreciate it. Here's the site:

http://www.gofundme.com/nk5zu4

Last edited:
Agreed

This also tells me that Ruth is not competing in 2016 or Taylor gets the better of him in the room which I would find surprising.

Taylor said he hasn't lifted weights in forever bc of the cut to 74. Said he's currently 200 pounds which is 11 pounds over the 86 KG limit. He'll be one size wise.

I'd like to see Lee end up at Iowa

Personally I didnt think it qualified as a pin, but hey, I'm not a ref.
I think Brewer was just not expecting Brock to be that good.

Yeah, it's a long season. I'm not saying Brewer will win it but just dismissing him out of turn because of two losses in December is a bad idea

Burroughs is an incomplete wrestler. One of the best with single/double but his clinch game isn't in the top 10.

Taylor said he hasn't lifted weights in forever bc of the cut to 74. Said he's currently 200 pounds which is 11 pounds over the 86 KG limit. He'll be one size wise.

Not buying that he wasn't lifting weights

It doesn't matter, he doesn't wrestle in the clinch. He shoots from distance with head taps, he doesn't need to be top 100 in clinch game. How many wrestlers are top 10 in both clinch and leg attacks? Aliyev is the only one I can of. For instance, Khinchegashvili (Georgia) is a MONSTER in the clinch but doesn't have very good leg attacks at all, yet he's a World Silver and definitely looking to be a name to look for this year. It's just his game.

Last edited:
I think Ruths mind is really focused on MMA now.

Huge early season match saturday. #6Alex Myers vs. #3Kyle Crutchmer. I can't wait for this one!

Not buying that he wasn't lifting weights

I know for a fact that Taylor was already limited in his lifting his senior year because his back was jacked up. Combine that with never really not stopping training, cutting so much weight, and the way he was just straight trucked through like I've never seen happen before by Dake. I don't have a problem buying it

Apparently Myers/Crutchmer was a great match. 18-16 Iowa in a match that broke the attendance record. Great for the sport.

I know for a fact that Taylor was already limited in his lifting his senior year because his back was jacked up. Combine that with never really not stopping training, cutting so much weight, and the way he was just straight trucked through like I've never seen happen before by Dake. I don't have a problem buying it

Unless he had an injury preventing him I'm sure he lifted. He may not have been doing havey squats and deads but I highly doubt Eric Childs didn't have him on some kind of program in and out of season.

Apparently Myers/Crutchmer was a great match. 18-16 Iowa in a match that broke the attendance record. Great for the sport.

That was an amazing match and a killer dual. Def check it out if you have big ten access.

It doesn't matter, he doesn't wrestle in the clinch. He shoots from distance with head taps, he doesn't need to be top 100 in clinch game. How many wrestlers are top 10 in both clinch and leg attacks? Aliyev is the only one I can of. For instance, Khinchegashvili (Georgia) is a MONSTER in the clinch but doesn't have very good leg attacks at all, yet he's a World Silver and definitely looking to be a name to look for this year. It's just his game.

Exactly!!!! and while Burroughs "clinch" isn't top ten. His handfighting,physicality/physical wrestling and angle creation are HIGHLEY underrated IMO

Agreed

I would find it more surprising if Ruth was getting the better of Taylor to be honest. Taylor's game seems much better suited for freestyle.

Exactly!!!! and while Burroughs "clinch" isn't top ten. His handfighting,physicality/physical wrestling and angle creation are HIGHLEY underrated IMO

I don't think it's underrated because that's one of the key reasons his shots are so effective; he sets them up perfectly and has the athleticism to explode through his opponent.

I would find it more surprising if Ruth was getting the better of Taylor to be honest. Taylor's game seems much better suited for freestyle.

I think Taylor is more disciplined but I think Ruth was the better wrestler overall.

It's on watch ESPN for anyone looking

I don't think it's underrated because that's one of the key reasons his shots are so effective; he sets them up perfectly and has the athleticism to explode through his opponent.

I think it's underrated because you have people all round the world (even in the U.S.) that claim Burroughs is all speed and power. His timing, movement, hand fight, shot fakes, etc. are unbelievable, I think that's what he is getting at.

Unless he had an injury preventing him I'm sure he lifted. He may not have been doing havey squats and deads but I highly doubt Eric Childs didn't have him on some kind of program in and out of season.

That's what I'm saying. He was injured, and it kept getting aggravated and it kept not getting better because they would throw him back into the weight-room lifting heavy before he was ready. I'm not just randomly throwing out a rumor. I got this from a very reliable source. Of course he's probably doing some pre-hab lifts and calisthenics so technically...he is "liftiing". But there is a big difference between doing that and actually lifting heavy or to get strong when your back is jacked up and you're cutting a bunch of weight....so my point remains exactly the same

I think it's underrated because you have people all round the world (even in the U.S.) that claim Burroughs is all speed and power. His timing, movement, hand fight, shot fakes, etc. are unbelievable, I think that's what he is getting at.

Thank you, I was just coming on to say this

I think Taylor is more disciplined but I think Ruth was the better wrestler overall.

I have always heard that Ruth won in the room...so much in fact that the two of them stopped wrestling each other because Taylor would get so frustrated to the point of crying.

Now this IS a rumor/story I have heard from a lot of people. So it may not be true before anyone jumps down my throat. But I've heard it enough and know enough other things to partially believe it

I don't like his wrestling style. But i think that he his very technical.

I have always heard that Ruth won in the room...so much in fact that the two of them stopped wrestling each other because Taylor would get so frustrated to the point of crying.

Guess we'll have to wait for them to meet in UFC like Cormier and Cummins :icon_chee

I don't like his wrestling style. But i think that he his very technical.

Yeah, I can tell. Are you from outside the U.S.? If so, where are you located? Just curious. Pretty cool to have international posters for this discussion.

Guess we'll have to wait for them to meet in UFC like Cormier and Cummins :icon_chee

The thing with that story that didn't really make sens eis that at no point was Cummins ever better than Cormier. Cormier always beat Tommy Rowlands and Mocco who were both ahead of Cummins on the freestyle ladder.

It's on watch ESPN for anyone looking

Thank you, just tuned in. These commentators are horrific.

Rasheed just gassed man, McFadden with 5 takedowns in the last 30-40 seconds.

Bo Nickal looked great, controlled Epperly.

Back