2014 prime Mendes would beat Max Holloway. Do you agree or disagree?

Yeah, gotta hold my hands up there, I remember that fight being close. Just re-watched it and Conor took that fight handily. However, having re-watched it, Conor's strikes looked similair to how they do now, whereas Max was unrecognisable.

You know who else looked unrecognizable against Conor? Jose Aldo, Eddie Alvarez, Dustin Poirer, Chad Mendes and every other person he has ever fought in the UFC other than Diaz who he fought when he moved up two weight classes. Just face it....Conor is that good!

Chad's chin was shot from getting hit with a sucker punch combo from Aldo and getting TKO'd in a two week notice fight against Conor.

Best version of Chad sleeps Frankie in 2 rounds.
What about that nasty knee Chad ate from aldo at the horn in their first fight? It was really a thing of beauty, textbook escape and precision knee to the chin!

That's the idea. Chad is not a striker and I expect him to fully use his wrestling and gnp vs a lengthy opponent like Max.

Too bad we won't find out...

In all fairness, Yoel was already training while Chad had to do a 2 week camp filled with media n press n shit, cause you know, when you fight Conor TONS of media comes with the territory.

I'm sure Chad doesn't mind tho, he got cash he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
Chads not dumb, well maybe he us for thinking he could whip conor. He knew he was next in line and aldo has history of pulling out of fights, he was ready. His physique looked the same, sure his cardio may not be up to par but he was on some serious gear also.

Maybe. I think he had a shot at beating max due to his good grappling skills

I honestly think max would walk through prime mendes the same way he would’ve walked through Edgar. His striking, reach, chin, and cardio would give both of them problems and he’s never had bad tdd and it’s only been getting better. Edgar’s boxing won’t be able to set up how tds. Aldo jabbed him up pretty good just using his reach. Mendes was s beast but max is on a different level right now.

"Prime" Mendes was roided to the gills. Guy was 5'6" and wide as a Mac Truck.

You know who else looked unrecognizable against Conor? Jose Aldo, Eddie Alvarez, Dustin Poirer, Chad Mendes and every other person he has ever fought in the UFC other than Diaz who he fought when he moved up two weight classes. Just face it....Conor is that good!
I agree with everything you said til you mentioned 2 weight classes. Diaz is a career 155, never been anything else. Enough of that bullshit. Agreeing to not cut weight cuz the fight was short notice doesn't magically add 20 lbs to diaz that he wouldn't have had at 155.

I agree with everything you said til you mentioned 2 weight classes. Diaz is a career 155, never been anything else. Enough of that bullshit. Agreeing to not cut weight cuz the fight was short notice doesn't magically add 20 lbs to diaz that he wouldn't have had at 155.

Duh but Conor still moved up 2 weight classes

ETA: and Diaz has had experience against some killers at WW

Actually Mendes looked great for 7 minutes then gassed horribly. He outlanded Conor and was hitting him flush. Took him down easily. Kind of took a dumb chance trying to sub him but still...

That's not to say Conor doesn't deserve credit for that win. He was training for Aldo and had to switch everything up. I think he was injured too. That was when I first realized Conor's chin is no joke, dude can eat punches and be just fine as long as he's not gassed. And his body kicks definitely I think helped in sapping Mendes' energy. But my point is that for the first round anyway, Mendes looked on point. As sharp as ever, not unrecognizable at all.

career 155 with the exact frame of his brother

he has a large frame that can fill out pretty significantly if need be. Or he can eat raw vegan / restrict calories and make 155

Nick has made 160 as well, said he could make 155 as well without issue and has also fought at 185. Tony has a similar frame and walks around 200

Nate during that 2nd fight against Conor was undoubtedly a true welterweight and quite honestly why would people not think he'd take advantage of the weight with his frame ?

Nate by his own words was 175 on fight night against rory 7 years ago.

He was noticeably bigger than that during the first Conor fight , way bigger for the 2nd one.

Hard to argue with fight night pictures

Why we saying "prime mendes" like he's old? What, was his prime only 2 years? Just because he started getting knocked around he's all of a sudden out of his prime? Any version of Mendes gets (t)ko'd by holloway, his chin is just too bad.

What's with this 'Prime' shit?

Dumbass MMA fans living in the past.

The fights never going to happen so who gives a fuck?
Today's Holloway beats today's Mendes that's all that matters.

What a bunch of nerds.

Back