2014 prime Mendes would beat Max Holloway. Do you agree or disagree?

The Mendes that fought aldo COULD beat anyone at FW. Including aldo in a rematch . That Chad would've destroyed conor. They went 5 rounds hard. What a great fight

Well, he bullied Conor on 2 weeks notice so yeah, it's pretty safe to say that it would be hard night for Max.

Dunno who wins, but's it's not a lock for either fighter.

It’s interesting to know that bullying someone now means getting ko’d in the 2nd round

Styles make fights. Prime Mendes would be a terrible match up for Holloway. Explosive takedowns; KO power (4 KOs in a row, 3 in the 1st round) and strong gnp. Excellent cardio as evidenced in the Aldo war.

Do you agree or disagree? Thoughts?

Mendes is the only FW I see giving Max trouble. Despite the fluke Frankie KO, he is both a better striker and better wrassler than Edgar.
He was landing overhands and hooks on Condor ffs. He would be able to touch Max up as well, at least for long enough to take him down.
Mendes is the FW boogeyman, if he’s anything like his past self when he comes back.

I know it sounds weird but I don't think 'generation' really has to do with age, it's more about when guys were in their prime or at the top. Dillashaw is older than Aldo for example but Aldo is still older in fight years, he turned pro in 2004 and started fighting in title fights in 2009 but Dillashaw didn't turn pro until 2010.

I think all of these guys like Ortega, Emmett, Moicano, Kattar, Bektic etc are Max's generation.
Emmett has been around for over 12yrs, Kattar has been around for 11yrs.. and were vets in MMA and were known to actual mma fans, being a real fan follows the regional scene too, not just the big orgs. Just like in any other sport, an actual fan, watch's the lower levels too. Mendes, Frankie, KZ.. are from the last era of mma fighters and I feel, can still beat Max. Though I think Emmett will be the older generation fighter, that beats Max first.

Short notice Diaz finished Conor, short notice Mendes got finished by Conor. Max by KO.
Short notice Mendes was beating Conor, and had the fight stopped too soon. Mendes by guillotine in the second.

On the other hand, Max didn't do nuffin to Conor, while Chad made Conor fans sit on the edge of their seats...
Chad was getting destroyed standing and his ground game kept him in it until he gassed. I'd give him a chance if he could take Max down. If he couldn't it would probably go like the two Aldo fights. Only a matter of time before Max get's the KO. A good wrestler is Conor's kryptonite. It's why he avoided Frankie and why he better not ever fight Khabib.

Short notice Mendes was beating Conor, and had the fight stopped too soon. Mendes by guillotine in the second.
He was wining until he lost. Not the first time I've heard that. Short notice should never be an excuse for a professional fighter. Short notice Romero almost killed Rockhold. The only thing the short notice did was mess up his weight cut, because he needs to cut a lot of weight to make 185. It shouldn't hurt your performance because a real professional fighter is always in shape.

Chad was getting destroyed standing and his ground game kept him in it until he gassed. I'd give him a chance if he could take Max down. If he couldn't it would probably go like the two Aldo fights. Only a matter of time before Max get's the KO. A good wrestler is Conor's kryptonite. It's why he avoided Frankie and why he better not ever fight Khabib.

That's the idea. Chad is not a striker and I expect him to fully use his wrestling and gnp vs a lengthy opponent like Max.

Too bad we won't find out...

He was wining until he lost. Not the first time I've heard that. Short notice should never be an excuse for a professional fighter. Short notice Romero almost killed Rockhold. The only thing the short notice did was mess up his weight cut, because he needs to cut a lot of weight to make 185. It shouldn't hurt your performance because a real professional fighter is always in shape.

In all fairness, Yoel was already training while Chad had to do a 2 week camp filled with media n press n shit, cause you know, when you fight Conor TONS of media comes with the territory.

I'm sure Chad doesn't mind tho, he got cash he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

The grappling would be interesting... But Chad would get #Blessed with a whooping on the feet. Would be down to see it if Mendes could get back to the top.

He would give him problems. But chad would fade in the later rounds i think

Not so sure. I think you guys are sleeping on Max, or maybe I'm too high on him.

That's the idea. Chad is not a striker and I expect him to fully use his wrestling and gnp vs a lengthy opponent like Max.

Too bad we won't find out...

In all fairness, Yoel was already training while Chad had to do a 2 week camp filled with media n press n shit, cause you know, when you fight Conor TONS of media comes with the territory.

I'm sure Chad doesn't mind tho, he got cash he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
I really would like to see that fight almost as much as Holloway vs Edgar. Max hasn't faced a wrestling based fighter and I'd like to see if he can keep the fight on the feet. Hopefully Mendes works his way back up when he comes back and we get to see it. I also wish Frankie wouldn've waited instead of taking the Ortega fight. His BJJ almost negates Frankie's wrestling advantage. He's taking a big chance here.

He squeaked past him when Max was 21, how do you figure he destroys him when Conor hasn't fought in 2 years. Get his big Irish balls out your mouth.

You call Conor whooping his ass 30-26, with a a torn ACL, squeaking past him?

Styles make fights. Prime Mendes would be a terrible match up for Holloway. Explosive takedowns; KO power (4 KOs in a row, 3 in the 1st round) and strong gnp. Excellent cardio as evidenced in the Aldo war.

Do you agree or disagree? Thoughts?

I don't know.

Max is so long, that Mendes could have a hard time getting close to Max.
But it would be very interesting to see this match.

Back