2007-2009 BJ Penn Was The Most Complete Fighter Ever

BoD 2.0

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
He would run through today's LW division. He's the most well-rounded and skilled LW in the history of the sport, and during his run in 2007-2009 he actually had cardio to back up his talent.

Who would beat him today? Khabib? Please, Hughes and GSP had trouble taking him down, Khabib would get smoked. Tony? Not a chance in hell, tony would get boxed up and then mounted. Kevin Lee hurt him on the feet and then mounted him. Gaethje? Alvarez? Pettis? Poirier? BJ either beats them all 50-45 or stops them all.

War Prodigy!

"BJ da best" - Anderson Silva

jsect2.gif

353827_o.gif

YRozg.gif

Best version of Penn was when he was fighting anyone at any weight

He arguably beat Machida for crying out loud

Prime BJ could give Fedor a run. He fought GSP to the death once.

If Matt Hughes and Edgar can take Khabib down then Khabib definitely can.on ground Khabib is a whole different animal than Hughes.

Prime BJ could give Fedor a run. He fought GSP to the death once.
Actually he beat Serra, who beat GSP, who beat Shields, who beat Hendo, who beat Fedor. So yeah, he would've beaten Fedor.

If Matt Hughes can take Khabib down then Khabib definitely can.on ground Khabib is a whole different animal than Hughes.
Khabib hasn't even competed against a top wrestler in MMA yet. Calm down son.

Most people on these forums weren’t around during BJ’s peak/prime.

I’d take BJ over anyone 155 and under peak vs peak.

tbh Frankie won every round of first fight with BJ

Khabib hasn't even competed against a top wrestler in MMA yet. Calm down son.
He already dominated rda who’s a high level grappler.
His grappling is one of if not the best in mma history

Not even C-3PO, sorry, I mean Sea-Level Cain, could take a BJ from that time period.

He already dominated rda who’s a high level grappler.
His grappling is one of if not the best in mma history
He's a beast. For sure. But you have no basis to make a statement like that. It's your opinion, I respect that. But let's not pretend it's anything more than your opinion.

I'm not sure what BJ was, but I sure what BJ is - most overrated fighter on sherdog.

I actually agree but you’re going to get a ton of shit on here due to his record and your use of such a short time frame.

But the BJ who took it seriously and trained strength & conditioning with the Marinovich’s was an absolute killer.

I started watching MMA around UFC 98, so a lot of BJ's excellence was lost to me. He's always struck me as MMA's version of Roy Jones Jr. The supremely talented guy who just stuck around a little too long for love of the sport

Prime LW Pettis.. LW GOATS.
The only way "Prime" LW Pettis could hang these days is if he transforms into a big red Semi-Truck and runs over people, or a Giant Robot with a glowing sword.

Best version of Penn was when he was fighting anyone at any weight

He arguably beat Machida for crying out loud
Lol I'm a bj fan, but no. He put on a good performance considering the size difference and landed some shots early, but he got his ass beat.

Maybe you should take another look
tbh Frankie won every round of first fight with BJ
GTFO

BJ at his peak is definitely the greatest LW of all time. I don't think he is the most complete fighter ever, though, including guys like GSP, Aldo, Fedor, Jones

Back