200 Push Up Challenge

What? 200 over the course of an entire day??? That's completely trivial. Most MMA gyms will have you doing a few hundred per class. Am I missing something?

What? 200 over the course of an entire day??? That's completely trivial. Most MMA gyms will have you doing a few hundred per class. Am I missing something?
Not really missing anything but like you said in a class setting you may do a few hundred. This is at home, outside of the gym. This is where the self discipline comes in. For some it's not really physically taxing but for me it is and then to do it for 30 days

Please do just as many pullups and squats as your push ups, you could cause muscle imbalances.

Throw in some planks etc for the core and youre good.

Please do just as many pullups and squats as your push ups, you could cause muscle imbalances.

Throw in some planks etc for the core and youre good.
I spent today doing some in-depth reading and turns out the plan is fairly bupkis. Still good but there’s a lot of smoke and mirrors around it.

if you wanna workout every day, then the classic "grease the groove" from broseph pavel is a better approach than the current pushups challenge thing on youtube.

still you should balance this if you do other stuff in the gym alongside.

I think the volume is too high. I would focus more on performance rather than volume. What I did when I didn't go to the gym was just doing one set of push-ups and adding 5 each work-out, and then on the other day I would do pull-ups and add 1 every work-out. So I had 48 hours recovery for 1 set, brutal sets at the end. I got up to 105 push-ups and 40 pull-ups after a few weeks or something.

I like these guys for advice:

if you wanna workout every day, then the classic "grease the groove" from broseph pavel is a better approach than the current pushups challenge thing on youtube.

still you should balance this if you do other stuff in the gym alongside.

Grease the groove?

yeah it's from his book naked warrior. google grease the groove for pushups/pullups or whatever. pavel tsatsouline?
you do half the reps of your max for several sets throughout the day. i think 5 days a week.

i did this with pushups and towel pullups. in the end i could do many sets a day but my max was not that much more.
but i drank alot at those times so my recovery was not the best. many people say it's a good protocol.
my grip strength went up, though. towel pullups are straight forward.

have fun

Never tried the 200 a day challenge, but I do 150-175 about 4 times a week just as part of my regular workout. Usually do pull-ups and chin-ups the same day too. About 40 of each.

At my kickboxing class I counted 1800 reps of pushups, situps, squat thrusts, burpees etc in our 'warm up'.

So I’ve given this up as my main workout routine. I did body work for a few days: the push ups, sit ups, squats, and it didn’t “sting” like a normal workout would that’s building muscle. It’ll still cut it in much like CarryTheZero said he/she does. It’ll be something fun to do to change pace but I’m not gonna leave it as my main fitness routine.

This forum needs a neg rep option.

200 is like the amount of pushup I do every muay thai class.
50 for warmup, 50 for cooldown, sets of 20s between rounds

I suggest you should incorporate crunches and squat with pushup to make it a balanced workout

I do pushups, body weight squats and chin/pull ups daily. Here's a starter video of some pushup variants you might be interested in. I would take 40 perfect pushups chin to floor and arms locked at the top, then hundreds of half reps and a droopy back when reaching exhaustion.

Back