2 things to make UFC get back on the right track.

Make it openweight. No more weight classes, everyone can fight everyone. Weight classes are just to protect the weak from the strong. Remove it

Allow knees to the head of grounded opponent. Super heavyweight. Open weight tournaments. Yellow cards for no action. Better entrances. Basically bring back a little pride to UFC
I think most people including them want that. Politicians don't and influence athletic commissions. It will probably never happen unfortunately.

damn i'm glad UFC executives won't read this thread suggestions, UFC is making some terrible decisions but you guys would absolutely destroy the UFC

- Only top 15 ranked guys fight on TV and PPV cards. Every fight then matters.
lol wtf

1)Make a weight cut max for the day of the fight. For example, you have to weigh within "X"lbs of your weight from the weighins. Sliding scale for the divisions

10lbs up to welterweight weight
15lbs up to light heavy
No limit for the heavyweights

2)Make champs defend their title a minimum of 2 times a year

3)Unless you're on all 4s or on your back, you are not a grounded opponent.

These "people" you speak of who hate submission grappling would probably benefit from watching a match or two. It's not reverse psychology. I never said a card full of submission wrestling, I said every now and then. Make it EBI style and use fighters familiar to the fans. Your suggestions sound like a bunch of fluff. "Looking for a fight" is just the UFC's sweat shop to find fighters to fight CHEAP. To be fair I've never seen a single episode. Getting fighters on sitcoms?? Seriously? That just further plays into the stupid popularity contest based rankings and it's not gonna reinvigorate jack. No thanks. Co-promotion, although I know they won't do it, would revitalize things. UFC vs bellator, or PFL. You had it right on less events.

One of the ways that major sports have been able to expand their reach is by placing their athletes where people are already vested. It not only entices people to gravitate towards a sport, it makes makes the athlete more recognizable, which means more endorsement deals. Sports is a popularity contest, contrary to what you believe.

The same strategy is used to cross promote musicians across genres, etc. Pretty simple. And it works. There is a reason why Paige makes more money than virtually everyone except Conor. She is being marketed on multiple platforms. Ronda enjoyed the same cross-promotion.

When we were kids we watched NFL players sing carols on Bob Hope specials. We watched hockey players play volleyball on Wide World of Sports. All of that was about getting you familiar with sports you would have normally avoided. It was about making an athlete more approachable, in hopes you would buy a ticket to an event that you might have otherwise skipped.

And it worked. That is why basketball, baseball and football is so big. They have invested huge amounts of money in getting their players noticed on every platform.

1. Ditch WMMA

2. Ditch everything under 155

3. More Anthony Pettis

gYmKI2A.png
He's a 145er now. Ouch.

How I’d have events

Yearly Model

Doing 4 PPV’s with your big names and multiple title fights would bring in more buys. (Super Bowl weekend, 4th of July weekend, MSG November, New Year’s Eve)

Doing 4 FOX events with the champions of lesser name value and title eliminators to determine number 1 contenders. Also a good situation to use veterans with name value.

Doing 4 Fight Night events showcasing matchups of 10-15 ranked fighters looking to break into the top ten and become contenders.

Doing 4 Fight Pass events in international locations. Having main events with an established name from the country or a rising star for increased exposure would be a help. Would help showcase the talent all over the world that we don’t normally see on the big shows.

These "people" you speak of who hate submission grappling would probably benefit from watching a match or two. It's not reverse psychology. I never said a card full of submission wrestling, I said every now and then. Make it EBI style and use fighters familiar to the fans. Your suggestions sound like a bunch of fluff. "Looking for a fight" is just the UFC's sweat shop to find fighters to fight CHEAP. To be fair I've never seen a single episode. Getting fighters on sitcoms?? Seriously? That just further plays into the stupid popularity contest based rankings and it's not gonna reinvigorate jack. No thanks. Co-promotion, although I know they won't do it, would revitalize things. UFC vs bellator, or PFL. You had it right on less events.
They go and watch "local" MMA events just like any talent scout would :p Usually the fighters are given advance notice that Dana & co will be watching and the other stuff in the show is kept separate from the fight events entirely. It's a decent show too, Dana, The Tooth, Serra and Din Thomas are all funny AF.

One event per year, likely in NYE, 24 hours of broadcasting, all champions have to defend the belt at least 3 times during the night

C'mon, it's not worse than 3/4 of the ideas above me

Bigger KO bonuses. Straight $50k for any KO/TKO. $150k if it is main or co-main.

Ring girls with better waist to hip ratios.

They fed Ronda to Amanda straight after holly and while she was clearly mentaly shook. The right thing to do was to feed her one or two cans. And then make her fight someone decent. Same thing with cm punk. If was the ufc I would have milked him with 3 or 4 fights vs bums. Then make him fight someone tough
Cm punk? They tried to milk him by signing a guy after his pro debut. Mickey Gall was hand picked for Punk. Dana saw him make his pro debut and signed him and told him if you win your UFC debut you'll fight punk. It just so happened that Mickey was a lot better than what people were probably thinking

Cm punk? They tried to milk him by signing a guy after his pro debut. Mickey Gall was hand picked for Punk. Dana saw him make his pro debut and signed him and told him if you win your UFC debut you'll fight punk. It just so happened that Mickey was a lot better than what people were probably thinking
Not only that, they actually signed a guy without any pro fights for Mickey to make his UFC debut against to make a case for him to fight punk. They gave him the easiest route to victory. The problem is that Mickey can actually fight and I strongly believe the average amateur can mop the floor with punk. He really is that bad.

He was a Bjj brown belt. They can find fighters that are a million times worse then Mickey. Did you see MVP on his boxing debut? I'm talking that level of a tomato can.

1- less events
Don't agree with that. Don't really need less events, just need to make events less than 7+ hours long.

I like watching fights every weekend, but I'm tired of sitting for 7 fucking hours with filler in between every fight. Not every card needs a full preliminary lineup either.

Hell, I think if UFC can get a good tv deal, it would be beneficial for them to be on every weekend, but with a smaller card each week. Maybe 3 or 4 prelims (if even that) and then a main card of 4 fights. Let people tune in for 2 hours. The casuals aren't watching these 7 hour events, so tone it down and nothing is lost.

Also, having a single event span across 3 platforms is insane. Absolutely insane.

Fight Pass - FS1 - FOX
Fight Pass - FS1 - PPV

I'm not moving to 3 platforms to watch one fucking event, which is why I steal it all.

1. Bigger bonuses for finishing
2. Some Pride rules obviously (soccer kicks, Knees to downed opponents, stalling yellow cards.)
3. Make fight night cards like challenger cards. Maybe 1 or 2 ranked fighters tops, and none in the top 5. Save everyone else for ppv.
4. Remove 265 limit on HW
5. Like 50 other things

One of the ways that major sports have been able to expand their reach is by placing their athletes where people are already vested. It not only entices people to gravitate towards a sport, it makes makes the athlete more recognizable, which means more endorsement deals. Sports is a popularity contest, contrary to what you believe.

The same strategy is used to cross promote musicians across genres, etc. Pretty simple. And it works. There is a reason why Paige makes more money than virtually everyone except Conor. She is being marketed on multiple platforms. Ronda enjoyed the same cross-promotion.

When we were kids we watched NFL players sing carols on Bob Hope specials. We watched hockey players play volleyball on Wide World of Sports. All of that was about getting you familiar with sports you would have normally avoided. It was about making an athlete more approachable, in hopes you would buy a ticket to an event that you might have otherwise skipped.

And it worked. That is why basketball, baseball and football is so big. They have invested huge amounts of money in getting their players noticed on every platform.
Your argument is how to make it more mainstream. The OP asked how to get it "back on track." It's sherdog so I'm assuming he's not asking for the "casual" fans; it sounds like he's directing his question towards real, knowledgeable fans. Next time don't be a fuckin smart ass and shit all over someone's genuine ideas. Do you REALLY think I suggested those things to "destroy" the UFC? Get a clue.

Back