2 of the most unexpected and incredible outcomes happened from short notice fights

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Short notice Bisping vs Rockhold. Left Hook Larry changed his life right there!
dbVUE4g.gif

And that KO got Bisping into a GSP fight $$$ later on.
75nO3x1.gif

And most importantly short notice Diaz against Conor.
PiercingMildGrouper.gif

And the immediate rematch. 2 red panty nights outta nowhere for a guy who was on vacation drinking tequila.
DevotedCheeryAsiansmallclawedotter-size_restricted.gif

You never know when this kind of opportunity is gonna present itself.
For example, we have a fight that has been canceled many times already: Tony vs Khabib.
So which top 10 LW fighter do you guys think should be in the gym training getting prepared to take this fight on short notice if one of them pulls out? (Maia said he made a camp preparing for Woodley and Thompson ufc 209 in case one of them pulled out)

Thoughts?

Don't forget Jones vs Shogun, although I guess that wasn't really an unexpected outcome for most people following the sport at a deeper level.

nothing beats cabo diaz one call made him a multi millionaire

I think Nate Diaz or Eddie Alvarez need to be in shape for when Tony Ferguson does something really dumb while standing on an exercise ball with a hula hoop and 400lb weights

Don't forget Jones vs Shogun, although I guess that wasn't really an unexpected outcome for most people following the sport at a deeper level.
Wasn't super short notice (over a month) and Jones didn't take any damage against bader. I think people forget how bad Jones was killing it back then. Glorious

don't forget Jones vs. USADA either, not enough time in the world for Jones to get ready for that match up

Ortega gets hurt, Frankie wants to get paid.

He moves back up to 155, his former stomping grounds.

Depending on who gets hurt:

Stuffs Khabibs TD's while outworking him on the feet. A decisive, but boring victory for the Answer.

OR

Gets rocked early by Tony's "unconventional/ awkward striking", but survives. Eventually, takes Ferguson down and avoids his subs while landing enough gnp to avoid the standup. Decision for the Answer.

Wasn't super short notice (over a month) and Jones didn't take any damage against bader. I think people forget how bad Jones was killing it back then. Glorious
His schedule was insane. 5 fights in the timespan of 14 months, 4 of them for the title. Life as an MMA fan was gooood back then.

Jones was betting favourite by fight night if i remember correctly.
Went back and had a look at the play by play thread on here a while ago. There were a lot of people thinking it was too much too soon for him and a lot of proud Shogun fans going into the fight.

Jones was betting favourite by fight night if i remember correctly.
Went back and had a look at the play by play thread on here a while ago. There were a lot of people thinking it was too much too soon for him and a lot of proud Shogun fans going into the fight.
Yup, there certainly were a lot of people who picked Shogun. I believe the narrative on Sherdog was that Shogun was going to chop Jon's chicken legs up with his low kicks. Welp.

Ps. I went and checked the betting lines and you were correct: Jones listed at -155 to Shogun's +125.

Short notice Bisping vs Rockhold. Left Hook Larry changed his life right there!
dbVUE4g.gif

And that KO got Bisping into a GSP fight $$$ later on.
75nO3x1.gif

And most importantly short notice Diaz against Conor.
PiercingMildGrouper.gif

And the immediate rematch. 2 red panty nights outta nowhere for a guy who was on vacation drinking tequila.
DevotedCheeryAsiansmallclawedotter-size_restricted.gif

You never know when this kind of opportunity is gonna present itself.
For example, we have a fight that has been canceled many times already: Tony vs Khabib.
So which top 10 LW fighter do you guys think should be in the gym training getting prepared to take this fight on short notice if one of them pulls out? (Maia said he made a camp preparing for Woodley and Thompson ufc 209 in case one of them pulled out)

Thoughts?
Diaz fight was not a surprise

Jones was a decent favorite going into the fight. Like -150 or something. If anything, Shogun was given a better chance than he should have by hardcores, due to nostalgia.

I believe the narrative on Sherdog was that Shogun was going to chop Jon's chicken legs up with his low kicks.
Yeah, I remember people were looking for Jones weakness, and figured it had to be his legs. It wasn't an insane idea. I think I bought into that argument too, despite thinking Jones looked amazing.

His schedule was insane. 5 fights in the timespan of 14 months, 4 of them for the title. Life as an MMA fan was gooood back then.

Yeah that’s some superhuman, unnatural shit there.

Bisping beating Rockhold was 100 times more surprising than Diaz beating Conor

Back