2:30am at a 7-11 in 1987(VIDEO)!

Cell phone camera's grandfather in action.

There is no comparison between the world I experienced in the 1980's compared to the world I experience now.

Thats true but then again we are talking about a 30 year span which is always going to show differences. I mean the difference between 1957 and 1987 was about as dramatic as you could get and the silent generation who grew up at the time went from this;

bhc.jpg

to this in 30 years

Guns_n_Roses_studio_1987.jpg

Holy shit that was great. If you pulled this today you would get sucker punched and people would be yelling "worldstar".

Bunch of nerds in that video. Not one of them was running a mullet!
I was going to say, what huge collection of dorks. The French chick wasn't bad looking though.

Hell yeah!

Man, when I was a kid in the late 80s and early 90s I was just goddamn OBSESSED with martial arts. And I think it was The Karate Kid which kicked that off.
same. when I was a tiny 70lb kid an older kid slapped me because I was talking shit. Slapped me in front of everyone in the gym. Embarassed the fuck out of me. My dad took me to enrol in TKD the very next day. One of the best things that ever happened to me. I was absolutely obsessed with TKD for years. I wouldnt even miss a class to go trick or treating on Halloween and shit. I was kind of my instructors star pupil. He would show me at demonstration breaking boards and shit, after telling everyone how much I weighed because I was under 90lbs for a long time until I hit puberty in middle school. Could break the fuck out of some boards though.

There are times when I really miss TKD, but BJJ is so much more practical and worth while these days.

Funny thing is I'm still friends on FB with the kid that slapped me. Hes like a brown belt in BJJ and even has some amateur mma fights under his belt.

I'm not sure you can say, "Everything else was shittier in the past." I'm not sure you can say that. I'll tell you this about it. The snowflake SJW types of today would get their asses kicked in my neck of the woods back in the 80's. I mean you are talking this was a time when just like on the video, the employees were smoking in the store. My first desk job had an ashtray on the desk when I arrived. People still smoked on airplanes until the late 80's.

Let me tell you something that was different compared to now. I have 3 kids, one of them graduated high school, the other in high school and then a younger daughter so I've had a close up view of the current public school system and how its run. I'm telling you straight up they wouldn't know what to do with my group of friends and my generation. We did smoke in the boys room, about 15 at a time. My wife's high school had an actual smoking area for the students, let that shit sink in. Drugs were dealt out of the lockers. Fights were daily and there were no police in the school, the coaching staff usually dealt with it.

When I was 16 I already had a car and a job and Friday night for my group was maybe going to the local lake and drinking beer or cruising down Forest Lane which is the name of a street thousands of teens and young 20's cruised on the weekends, drinking, fighting, and picking up girls. I just don't feel any similarity between 1985 and 2015. I could give you tons of examples like that. The two time periods are, in my experience, diametrically opposed.

I grew up in the 80's. Most of the parents had a rule that we couldn't come inside the house until after 6pm. It was the 'get the fuck out of the house' rule. So we had to ride bikes everywhere. We had rock fights. Bottle rocket fights. BB gun fights. We rode motorcycles. We had RC cars. We set shit on fire and explored the forest.

Shit, I remember being in 3rd grade and biking 3 miles to go visit friends everyday.

I saw that a little while ago. Very interesting video. Apparently a lot of the people in the video were Disney World employees including the cameraman and the French girl and Hispanic guys. I wish my family had took some home videos back then. I didn't actually visit that area until the early 90s, though.

@MusterX showed me this a little while back.

Awesome video. It's cool to see the interactions. It really made me want to get in a time machine and go back to 1987.

I wonder how many people in that video were enrolled in a karate class because they were still high on The Karate Kid's release just one year earlier.
The Karate Kid was 1984, but yeah. :)

About the point about people being friendlier back then. Perhaps. Due to a relative lack of technology, social interactions were more necessary for fun and entertainment. But I think it worked both ways. There were also more fights, more open bigotry, etc. I guess people were more outgoing in both good and bad ways. I think this carried into the 90s and even 2000s a little bit. 9/11 and the surveillance state and then social media really changed everything. You felt a lot more freedom, and also danger, in the streets back then.

I grew up in the 80's. Most of the parents had a rule that we couldn't come inside the house until after 6pm. It was the 'get the fuck out of the house' rule. So we had to ride bikes everywhere. We had rock fights. Bottle rocket fights. BB gun fights. We rode motorcycles. We had RC cars. We set shit on fire and explored the forest.

Shit, I remember being in 3rd grade and biking 3 miles to go visit friends everyday.

My parents were teachers and my dad would always work a second job during summer break while my mom stayed home and did chores and took care of us. Mornings consisted of us doing chores up until lunchtime and then the shackles were unlocked until dinner time. It certainly helps growing up in a small town instead of a big city but we had a lot of freedom and didn't want to be home. Go home, eat dinner and then back out to play basketball, ride our bikes to meet our friends and get a snack at some store or go explore the woods near our home until dark.

Skimmed the video but I don't recall seeing any obese people. Except for the smoking, people seemed to be in better shape back in the 80s.

As far as being afraid, the government is always #1 on that list. Always.

I always stick with the stupidity of man.

My point though was not to say everything was better then compared to now, my point is that we were changed with the advent of high speed internet and smart phones and a lot of people don't even realize it. That's just one example though, there are so many. There is no comparison between the world I experienced in the 1980's compared to the world I experience now.

The *ONLY* thing that is changing is the time scale of change and magnitude of impact. That's it, period.

The automated textile loom, printing press, steam driven machine, radical and countless other innovation have been changing the world, The difference is the rate of change.

Last edited:
I saw that a little while ago. Very interesting video. Apparently a lot of the people in the video were Disney World employees including the cameraman and the French girl and Hispanic guys. I wish my family had took some home videos back then. I didn't actually visit that area until the early 90s, though.

Do you have kids? I left my kids at my parents place one day and they pulled out the videos. They laughed their asses off at the videos of me and TBH they were that different than the one in the OP. Just saying my 13 and 15 yr old's generation is bewildered by the 80s.

This X1000 ^

I remember it being the same way and things are not at all like that now. I told my kids we stayed outside all day and we drank from a water hose and they looked at me like this.

th

In my neighborhood there are a shit load of kids, its a young parents area with a lot of elementary schools and all my neighbors all the way down the street have kids. Let me tell you something, you drive to my neighborhood and you will see no kids outside playing. Its a ghost town. There are a shit load of kids around here but they don't come out to play and that is another way that the internet boom changed us as people.

This X1000 ^

I remember it being the same way and things are not at all like that now. I told my kids we stayed outside all day and we drank from a water hose and they looked at me like this.

th

In my neighborhood there are a shit load of kids, its a young parents area with a lot of elementary schools and all my neighbors all the way down the street have kids. Let me tell you something, you drive to my neighborhood and you will see no kids outside playing. Its a ghost town. There are a shit load of kids around here but they don't come out to play and that is another way that the internet boom changed us as people.

I notice this a lot more with kids 12 and older. My house has become the popular spot due to the size of the yard and long blacktop driveway. Pretty much any sunny day, the kids that are younger than 12 are at my house or at another house with a trampoline.

I really notice it at the skatepark. When I was in high school in the 90s, there were always middle school and high school kids skateboarding. We'd have loved the skatepark that they have now. I'll drive by there sometimes and there isn't a single person there above 10.

Back