2:00:25 for a marathon distance - one of best track and field performances ever

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Nike put together and an event where they had three guys run a marathon distance and had pacers jump in to pace the runners and the three runners could tuck in behind the pacers and draft.

Some traditional track and field fans didn't like it because they thought it a stunt or circus-like performance and not a real marathon face.

But the course was not net downhill. They ran loops on a car racing track.

The guy who won it beat the world record for the marathon by almost 2 1/2 minutes.

Really crazy performance. Eliud Kipchoge was on pace for about 35K to break 2 hours and tired at the end but he was a machine. He averaged 4:36 mile pace. That is 69 second laps over and over and over. I doubt more than a handful of people here can run over 2 laps at that pace. And he ran over 100 in a row.

This won't be recognized as a world record because of the use of pacers but this is how it compares to the other distances using a Purdy table.

100 meters - 9.38
200 meters - 18.99
Mile - 3:35.32
3 miles - 11:56:01 - yes - well under 4 minute mile pace.
5000 meters - 12:23:17
10,000 meters - 25:54:45

Couldn't you have runners that pace you that you don't tuck behind?

I'd like the X Games to add these three running events.

Have teams like cycling teams for a marathon. Most would probably be running shoe companies. Teams have 3 runners doing the entire marathon and have 10 guys who can jump in at any time to pace their teammates. An individual winner is determined and a team of the top 3 fastest times is awarded a team prize. See if any teams could go sub 2 in the future.

Do the same thing for women's mile and see if any woman could break 4 in a 1 mile loop course.

And have a beer mile.

Saw the headline. Cool, but it doesn't really mean anything.

Professional drafters = exhibition.

Pretty crazy how people actually think this is fast. Lol.

Not sure why anyone would even care about this.

Still think this is one of, if not the, best performances I've ever seen. Bekele was running alone for most of the 2nd half of the race.

That's amazing. The mental toughness to run a marathon is no joke. It was already tough running a 10k

New record set this morning at the Berlin Marathon.

2:01.39

Best marathoner in history. Kipchoge is a freak.

New world record in the decathlon too. I didn't expect to Eaton's record to go down for a long time.

Could hit under 2 hours if I tried. Just too busy.

Still think this is one of, if not the, best performances I've ever seen. Bekele was running alone for most of the 2nd half of the race.

Scary --- I remember when David Moorcroft broke 13mins for 5000m :eek:

Berlin course be flat. But not as flat as Chicago. That marathon time is nuts though.

Back