1st Student, 1st Tournament, IBJJF Dallas Open

NateTx4112

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So the Dallas Open was this weekend and I told my 1st student (First guy I ever "ranked" by giving him a stripe) that he should jump in and do it. I had taken over a 2 day a week fundamental BJJ program at a JKD school where he was at (buddy was teaching there but tore his ACL, so I'm a steward until he gets back) and he was one of the students there. When I opened my own gig he was excited to be able to train more and signed up before I had even gotten a key to the building.

So this weekend he had a tough 14 man bracket (including 1st place Houston Open IBJJF champ) and came out on top. I feel like a proud papa for sure.

1st round - opponent missed weight 2nd round -15-0 Semi Finals - clock choke (that we literally went over this week) 2 mins and put the guy to sleep Finals - 2-0 with a takedown against a tough guy.

Super proud coach right now as he put in all the extra work in doing a TON of S&C outside the gym, was on the mat every night and outworked everyone. He wrestled in Highschool (Varsity only 1 year) and this was his 1st Gold/1st place medal in anything grappling. Sloth BJJ is very proud of him.

If anyone is ever in Euless Texas (or anywhere in DFW) and would like to stop by, man we'd love to have you.

https://www.facebook.com/SlothBJJ/ is my Team Facebook page if you want to give us a follow/like.
(shirts are pretty bad ass and I can ship them out if anyone wants one, ok that's enough promotion of my school)

Thats pretty sweet. Congrats, I hope your school does well. I saw your shirts this weekend at the tournament too. Pretty cool man. Keep working hard toward your goals.

That's awesome. Also relatable. A lot of times I'm more nervous watching teammates. For sure most nervous watching instructors.

Definitely a whole different, more nerve racking experience coaching and watching somebody you coached compete. Although, from the sounds of it, you did all the work with him before hand so it must have been an easy day watching him dominate

Definitely a whole different, more nerve racking experience coaching and watching somebody you coached compete. Although, from the sounds of it, you did all the work with him before hand so it must have been an easy day watching him dominate
Man honestly it was like getting the keys a corvette to start with. All I have to do is not fuck it up/put him into a wall. He's dedicated, serious, and works hard. The natural talent he has PLUS his wrestling pedigree made it easy for me to just tighten up some stuff.

Looks like the beginning of another 'little school that could'. Congrats, and best of luck!

Congrats to you and your student! Good job guys!

I have a question (sorry to derail thread slightly) I competed in my first small local comp this weekend in white division and placed third.

I've obviously got the bug as I've booked the next available bjj comp available near me but it's ibjjf comp. Was this a foolish move? I mean, is the skill level a massive jump up from a local comp to ibjjf, or not really anything to think about, especially at white belt level

Looks like the beginning of another 'little school that could'. Congrats, and best of luck!
I'm so far away from something like that....but that is a goal to strive for.

Congrats to you and your student! Good job guys!

I have a question (sorry to derail thread slightly) I competed in my first small local comp this weekend in white division and placed third.

I've obviously got the bug as I've booked the next available bjj comp available near me but it's ibjjf comp. Was this a foolish move? I mean, is the skill level a massive jump up from a local comp to ibjjf, or not really anything to think about, especially at white belt level
It all depends on weight/age division and honestly who signs up. IBJJF will probably have a stiffer competition later in the rounds vs. regional. Or you could run into them first round there, or at a regional, etc.

If you are confident in your training, in good shape, want to try it. Go do it. Have fun, do white belt shit! That's what whitebelt is for.

Man honestly it was like getting the keys a corvette to start with. All I have to do is not fuck it up/put him into a wall. He's dedicated, serious, and works hard. The natural talent he has PLUS his wrestling pedigree made it easy for me to just tighten up some stuff.
i hope to get so lucky when I retire from the Marines and try to go the path you are going right now

i hope to get so lucky when I retire from the Marines and try to go the path you are going right now
It ain't easy starting out...you get to do everything!!!!

But it has been a fun experience mainly because it's all a side hustle right tnow.

Back