1st Asian Combat Wrestling Championship (Photos and results)

Ivaylo Ivanov

Elegant as a vampire
@Brown
Reaction score
Last weekend, on 14th of August, in Honjo city, Japan, was held the first Asian Combat Wrestling Championship.
The event was organized by FICW Asia director, Masa Yoshizawa and with the significant help of Honjo City government.
62 participants from Japan, Korea, Uzbekistan, Mongolia, USA and Brazil met on the mat.

Once again, the event level was very high- pro MMA fighters, pro BJJ players, national and continental wrestling and sambo champions got into fierce competition for the medals in adults, master, youth and female divisions.

The opening ceremony of the event included speeches from the creator fo Combat Wrestling, Mr. Kiguchi, the mayor of Honjo City, Mr. Yoshida, local business association representatives and me.

The official full video of the event will be released in the end of this month.
And here are the official results and some of the most heated moments of the event:
CW_ASIA_IMG_7505.jpg

CW_ASIA_IMG_7498.jpg

CW_ASIA__O4A0779.jpg

CW_ASIA__O4A1210.jpg

CW_ASIA_Uemizo__NO11711.jpg

CW_ASIA__O4A1288.jpg

CW-Asia.jpg

CW-Asia2.jpg

CW-Asia1.jpg

CW-Asia4.jpg

CW-Asia9.jpg

CW-Asia6.jpg

CW-Asia5.jpg

CW-Asia7.jpg

CW_ASIA__O4A1571.jpg

CW_ASIA_IMG_7466.jpg

CW_ASIA__O4A1559.jpg

CW_ASIA__O4A0603.jpg

CW_ASIA_Uemizo__NO31796.jpg

[RESULTS]

TEAM COMPETITION:

1st Academia AZ, JAPAN

2nd Cool Champ, JAPAN

3rd Nexusense, JAPAN

4th Joshua Gym, KOREA

ADULT MEN -57 KG

1st Manabu Inoue UWF, Snake Pit Japan, JAPAN

2nd Atsushi Makigaya Wajutsu Keishukai Gunma Dojo, JAPAN

3rd Hidekazu Kurihara Cool Champ, JAPAN

3rd Yusuke Isaji Team Yuken, JAPAN

ADULT MEN -62 KG

1st Tetsuya Yoshitake Paraestra Tokyo, JAPAN

2nd Masao Taba Cool Champ, JAPAN

3rd Shogo Iriyama Akademia AZ, JAPAN

3rd Koji Yashima Gintausu Kuji, JAPAN

ADULT MEN -68 KG

1st Kentaro Wada Me. We, JAPAN

2nd Dawoon Jung Team POMA, KOREA

3rd Myung Jin Cha Joshua Team, KOREA

3rd Jong Han Kang Joshua Team, KOREA

ADULT MEN -74 KG

1st Shutaro Debana Cobra- Kai, JAPAN

2nd Masatoshi Takahashi Paraestra Hachinohe, JAPAN

3rd Zenmaru Hirai Academia AZ, JAPAN

3rd Gyeong Cheol Min Team POMA, KOREA

ADULT MEN -82 KG

1st Bae Yong Kwon MOB Training Center, KOREA

2nd Dae Seong Park MOB Training Center, KOREA

3rd Taichi Sasaki Team 248, JAPAN

3rd Chul Yoon Team POMA, KOREA

ADULT MEN -90 KG

1st Takahisa Oda Ochiryo Gusoku, JAPAN

2nd Minwoo Kim Joshua Gym, KOREA

3rd Dongki Lee Joshua Gym, KOREA

ADULT MEN -100 KG

1st Katana Nishimura Academia AZ, JAPAN

2nd Jonibek Razzakov Academia AZ, USBEKISTAN

3rd Kazutoshi Kobayashi Cool Champ, JAPAN

ADULTS MEN 100+ KG

1st Keith Vargo Nexusense, USA

2nd Sam Gordon Kichijoji Fit, USA

3rd Nobuyuki Kurashima Dradition, JAPAN

3rd Young Jun Kim Joshua Gym, KOREA

ADULT WOMEN -60 KG

1st Cristiane Ichikawa Yagadome, BRAZIL

2nd Miyuki Nishimoto Academia AZ, JAPAN

3rd Ayaka Tanazawa Cool Champ, JAPAN

One of the matches:

Full results and more photos here:
http://combatwrestling.org/wp/1st-asian-championship-results/#more-936
https://www.facebook.com/JAPANCW/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1812352539051053

Are the rules different from other submission grappling tourney's?

Look at this guy. Was there an old man's division?
Yes, there were Youth, Master A, Master B, Female and Male Adult divisions.
The guy in the picture is a tough old dude, who coaches sambo in Tokyo for at least 20 years now.

Will you be posting a HL vid down the line?
Want to see the old guy in action.

Will you be posting a HL vid down the line?
Want to see the old guy in action.
I will post the whole tournament as soon as I receive the edited video (end of this month, beginning of the next).
The old dude was cranking omoplatas like there is no tomorrow.
Quite a lot of good techniques at the championship- the Korean team was incredibly strong (Asian Greco Roman champ, pro MMA champ and etc.) and was a pleasure to watch.
I personally loved every match where Wada (68 kg champ) participated- he will most probably represent Japan in the Worlds this October and is very entertaining guy to watch.

I will post the whole tournament as soon as I receive the edited video (end of this month, beginning of the next).
The old dude was cranking omoplatas like there is no tomorrow.
Quite a lot of good techniques at the championship- the Korean team was incredibly strong (Asian Greco Roman champ, pro MMA champ and etc.) and was a pleasure to watch.
I personally loved every match where Wada (68 kg champ) participated- he will most probably represent Japan in the Worlds this October and is very entertaining guy to watch.

Can't wait to see it sounds great.

lol at USA taking gold at 100+KG

I was surprised at first sight of the guy, turns out he is legit - Keith Vargo. Got his black belt in judo from Takada Dojo where he trained for 10 years, fought in amateur shootboxing and semi-pro MMA. And he's almost 50.

I was surprised at first sight of the guy, turns out he is legit - Keith Vargo. Got his black belt in judo from Takada Dojo where he trained for 10 years, fought in amateur shootboxing and semi-pro MMA. And he's almost 50.
Correct.
He really enjoyed the tournament

Mmmm very different from sub grappling rules... The point system, I like a lot that only give points for mount and back mount no points for passing sweeping, although 1 point is not enough I would say, anyways seems cool.

Mmmm very different from sub grappling rules... The point system, I like a lot that only give points for mount and back mount no points for passing sweeping, although 1 point is not enough I would say, anyways seems cool.

My take away is its like the K-1 of grappling. an event that brings all grappling styles in and gives them an opportunity to win if they execute their style while negating the other.

A judo guy can't win by ippon but he can get enough points to where it's hard for the other guy to come back. The wrestling shoes and rules give wrestlers a competitive advantage and bjj guys have all their subs and they can still pull open guard but get stood up for inactivity.

This is different to ADCC which is basically a nogi bjj tournament.

No heel hooks...but is reaping allowed?

IMO reaping is a made up phoenomena.

if you went up to a non bjj grappler they would ask you what reaping was and then they'd respond with "oh. You mean good leg control?"

IMO reaping is a made up phoenomena.

if you went up to a non bjj grappler they would ask you what reaping was and then they'd respond with "oh. You mean good leg control?"
I totally agree with that. I remember when I found out it was a "dirty thing" against a blut belt. I did because it seemed very logica and natural (and as a extremely noob white belt) and he was like "that is not allowed".

Back