1967 Article on the 600 lb Clean and Jerk

Klotz

Shalom
Reaction score
Olympic Weightlifting

Kind of a neat read. Too bad it's in Comic Sans.
The closest anyone's got to 600 in competition is 586, although Rezazadeh claims a 600+ in training.

That's pretty interesting. With more intense drug testing and the general decline of weightlifting as a sport it might be a long time before we see someone who can even equal Taranenko's lift. Unless the Chinese dig up a huge ass lifter. Or gene doping becomes more widespread.

Olympic Weightlifting

Kind of a neat read. Too bad it's in Comic Sans.
The closest anyone's got to 600 in competition is 586, although Rezazadeh claims a 600+ in training.

Pisarenko claims 270kg, and cleaned 280 right before he was suspended for 2 years. Alexeev also acheived these numbers(as was witnessed by my coach) so without a doubt it is only a matter of time before it is accomplished in competition.

Pisarenko claims 270kg, and cleaned 280 right before he was suspended for 2 years. Alexeev also acheived these numbers(as was witnessed by my coach) so without a doubt it is only a matter of time before it is accomplished in competition.

If only the Soviet Union would have hung around a few more years...

I think Chemerkin attempted something like 272.5kg in 2000 but couldn't handle the clean.

If only the Soviet Union would have hung around a few more years...

I think Chemerkin attempted something like 272.5kg in 2000 but couldn't handle the clean.

Yeah, I have no idea who's going to do it now. Rezazadeh sounds like he's retired, and 263 looked difficult enough for him. Udachin kinda fizzled. Scherebatis hasn't broke 260 yet. It's going to be a while.

If only the USA and the USSR weren't such dicks to each other and boycotted each others athletes, Pisarenko wouldn't have been suspended and I guarantee you we would've had the 272.5kg C&J.

Lets just not rely on him breaking the snatch WR. Joking Asc :)

That was an interesting read, thanks.

Hahahaha! Screw you guys! :)

Non-sequitor: does anyone know why I can't start a new thread? I've been trying all day with no success.

rumor has alexeev cleaning and jerking 660, but not together.

Yeah, I have no idea who's going to do it now. Rezazadeh sounds like he's retired, and 263 looked difficult enough for him. Udachin kinda fizzled. Scherebatis hasn't broke 260 yet. It's going to be a while.

If only the USA and the USSR weren't such dicks to each other and boycotted each others athletes, Pisarenko wouldn't have been suspended and I guarantee you we would've had the 272.5kg C&J.

he should have posted that on youtube.

Good read. I'm curious about the evolution of China's HWs and SHWs. I'm sure they will eventually emerge but I guess it's a matter of how long--scouting out the right lifters and finding new ways around testing. 273 still seems pretty far away right now.

Another thing, none of the guys that have come close to 600 or claim to have passed it match his description of the

god that guy terrifies me. Looks like Magnum P.I. + Blanca from street fighter.

Back