160 - 165 pound division would be welcome.

Yay or Nay ?

• Total voters

Thuckey

I swear to drunk.. I'm not God.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For how flooded LW and WW are right now stacked full of new contenders and rich talent, prospects and veterans alike, I personally wouldn`t mind seeing a weight class in between LW (155) and WW (170) in the UFC. What do you guys think?

Cowboy is a perfect example of somebody that could transition well in that class. Elite at LW, and WW holds his own, but if he losses at WW again tonight he'll surely want to drop back down to LW. However, the situation at LW is currently over-populated and full of killers all waiting in line for their shot at earning title shots. The top 10 for the last few years have been filled with champion-level fighters - each of them absolute scary motherfuckers. I think Cowboy would be a better fit in between LW and WW as would plently others - and I believe many refugees in LW would make the change instead of waiting years and accumulating 8+ win streaks for a title shot only to have to be slapped to the back of the line with a loss.

I know there are way too many divisions already, but fuck, I much rather would have this 160-165 pound division then say, Cyborg's new whatever pound womens division. (with like 5 people in the whole division)

I'm sure this new division would fill up quite rapidly.

Add 165 (Super Lightweight) and bump Welterweight up to 175.

A 195 (Super Middleweight) division would also be welcome.

There aren’t enough top fighters for more weight classes. All you’ll do is thin out Lightweight, Welterweight, Middleweight and Light Heavyweight.

There aren’t enough top fighters for more weight classes. All you’ll do is thin out Lightweight, Welterweight, Middleweight and Light Heavyweight.

Top fighters are indeed OVERPOPULATED in the LW division. But that's about it. The other divisions have a solid balance - so yes, they'd probably need to get a lot more guys on the roster.

Much rather see a 240 class and move the hwt limit up to 300.

Top fighters are indeed OVERPOPULATED in the LW division. But that's about it. The other divisions have a solid balance - so yes, they'd probably need to get a lot more guys on the roster.

Which is a problem, since those fighters don’t exist. You don’t want top heavy divisions like LHW, Middleweight or the women’s divisions.

Lightweight is the best division because it’s so overpopulated. All you’d do is water it down and for no reason.

Which is a problem, since those fighters don’t exist. You don’t want top heavy divisions like LHW, Middleweight or the women’s divisions.

Yeah, you're right. This isn't the sort of thing that can happen overnight, I'm sure lots of fighters would be upset especially if say, WW was bumped to 175 , though it sounds great as a thought, there are practical issues that aren't obvious right away.

But for now I am content with what we got.

I'd like to see the divisions look like this..

Add 165 and 175. Scrap 125 and 170.

-> change for the better with the same amount of weight classes.

For how flooded LW and WW are right now stacked full of new contenders and rich talent, prospects and veterans alike, I personally wouldn`t mind seeing a weight class in between LW (155) and WW (170) in the UFC. What do you guys think?

Cowboy is a perfect example of somebody that could transition well in that class. Elite at LW, and WW holds his own, but if he losses at WW again tonight he'll surely want to drop back down to LW. However, the situation at LW is currently over-populated and full of killers all waiting in line for their shot at earning title shots. The top 10 for the last few years have been filled with champion-level fighters - each of them absolute scary motherfuckers. I think Cowboy would be a better fit in between LW and WW as would plently others - and I believe many refugees in LW would make the change instead of waiting years and accumulating 8+ win streaks for a title shot only to have to be slapped to the back of the line with a loss.

I know there are way too many divisions already, but fuck, I much rather would have this 160-165 pound division then say, Cyborg's new whatever pound womens division. (with like 5 people in the whole division)

I'm sure this new division would fill up quite rapidly.
Divisions should go in 10 lb increments up until Light Heavyweight.

Last edited:
We need fewer fighters on the roster, not more weight classes.

Lightweight is the best division because it’s so overpopulated. All you’d do is water it down and for no reason.

Agreed. LW is so great because of how many killers there are. I don't know why anyone would want to thin it out just so someone who isn't quite good enough to become champion there or at WW has a shot at a consolation prize.

Divisions should go in 10 lb increments up until Light Heavyweight.

Agree except at the top I’d have 205, 225 (Cruiserweight) and bump Heavyweight up to 285 (in line with amateur wrestling).

IMO, FW, LW and WW will always be the deepest classes with LW being the sweet spot. For the most part, your "average Joe" would fit into one of those three weight classes if in true fighting condition. There's simply a deeper potential talent pool for these weight classes and these guys aren't big enough to be highly coveted by the major team sports unless true freak athletes.

Agree except at the top I’d have 205, 225 (Cruiserweight) and bump Heavyweight up to 285 (in line with amateur wrestling).

At the moment I wouldnt mess with LHW and HW. Both divisions are already pretty thin on talent. That's not uncommon for HW but it's definitely uncommon for LHW which has been the marquee division in MMA for a good chunk of the sport's history.

Add 165 (Super Lightweight) and bump Welterweight up to 175.

A 195 (Super Middleweight) division would also be welcome.
195 would be horrendous, there's not enough fighters to do that. it would kill both MW and LHW, and LHW is on life support already. but 165 175 would be awesome

Back