150 Applications, 0 Job Offers (Interview Update)

Hey dude, I'm not the one trying to get a job with no luck. Even though I'm not a front end dev I know that all of our in house aps are moving away from Java. Just something to think about.

Java and JS aren't the same thing.

I don't want to be a dick.

But the fact that you're associating JAVA with front end development to begin with tells me you don't know what the Fuck you're talking about.

TS' elbows are too pointy is my best guess as to why he cannot land a job.

BtW - are you working at all? Maybe for the time being take any job you can and maybe lower your standards for a bit.

Yeah, I've been working this whole time as a bartender at various spots.

Html and Css can be learned in a day. The only thing I see worth anything is JavaScript. Maybe focus more on becoming an expert in JavaScript. And maybe learn a real language like C#.

Java and JS aren't the same thing.

I don't want to be a dick.

But the fact that you're associating JAVA with front end development to begin with tells me you don't know what the Fuck you're talking about.
Fucking programmers never let the opportunity to talk down to someone pass. Anyone could have made that mistake.

Skills: HTML/Js/, Ember.Js, copywriting.

I've been looking for a job for two years. I've had maybe ten interviews. Each time, I feel like it goes anywhere from well to fantastic. Each time, I'm their second pick.

I've applied to about 200 jobs via Indeed.

I'm posting this mainly as documentation, because I'm never going to give up until I have an offer I'm happy with.

So I'll bump this shit.
Have you burned the bridge with your community college?

If not, school is worth a shot. As long as you haven't burned the bridge, financial aid is available.

Perhaps, you should use school as a motivation factor.

I had a whole year like this once. I applied everywhere but everywhere I applied, 50 other more experienced people applied. I finally had to settle for a shitty convenience store job until something better came along. Weird, this is the second time that has come up today.

The only job that I got that I had to go through the entire process was my first job at Baskin Robbins. Since then it was always knowing/meeting the right people and sometimes good timing. Networking is very important, but in your line of work it may be more difficult. I'm a professional in the medical field so it's much easier to be involved with my profession. Just by getting involved with local academy/association meetings, positions ,attending conferences alone can open you up to so many opportunities.

Do you have a portfolio with projects on github? I only dabbled in light programming but I know what a lot of friends went through to find work.

Indeed is not a reliable source to find work. Years ago when I was plowing for work I used every site I could find, and places like monster and indeed were dogshit. I'm sure there are more specialty sites that exist now though I'm not aware of anything specific.

There's a lot of recruiters on linkedin, so that's worth a try. Also try job fairs, I've known a few people to find work there.

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm sorry if I am repeating shit already covered. Job hunting seriously sucks so I feel for ya. But, if you have had zero luck with your current methods, then try other things. The worst thing you can do when job hunting is get stuck in a bad rut.

And I know interviews themselves for those jobs are difficult and stressful, so review if you are preparing for those correctly. In my last job search I sent out 70 applications and got back like 12 or so interviews, and I changed my resume and cover letter up after the first month bc I wasn't getting any bites. So stay vigilante and keep trying different angles, something will work if you keep at it.

I've been looking for a job for two years. I've had maybe ten interviews. Each time, I feel like it goes anywhere from well to fantastic. Each time, I'm their second pick.

HTML, JavaScript? What about CSS? jQuery? Know any Bootleg? Beginner or advanced levels? I know it sounds stupid but I never see jobs that just want those skills. You want a job in that field? Get the job adverts. Get a list of common skills and languages [computer] they want. Learn them. Create a portfolio using skills. For me, the languages you have, they seem a strange mix.

HTML, JavaScript? What about CSS? jQuery? Know any Bootleg? Beginner or advanced levels? I know it sounds stupid but I never see jobs that just want those skills. You want a job in that field? Get the job adverts. Get a list of common skills and languages [computer] they want. Learn them. Create a portfolio using skills. For me, the languages you have, they seem a strange mix.

I got all dat.

Three things I did not mention:

1. I've had a job the entire time, so I wasn't always looking/trying hard.

2. I've had multiple projects that have caused me to either turn down many interviews or simply intentionally blow the interview.

3. I've moved around the country a few times during this stretch.

4. Indeed is shit for finding jobs and where I'm at dev jobs are over saturated.

I've applied to about 200 jobs via Indeed.

I'm posting this mainly as documentation, because I'm never going to give up until I have an offer I'm happy with.

So I'll bump this shit.
Where do you live?

Back