15 rounds vs. 12 rounds

ya, that would do it. But they will always wiggle if there is wiggle room. Conor fucking McGregor got sanctioned as a 0-0 boxer, to fight Mayweather. If the show must go on, human nature will make it so. If there was a concrete rule - figter has been KOd 7 times - it would make the announcers and the public put pressure on the commissions. (It doesnt have to be seven)

Nevada sanctioning that fight shows another problem that's more detrimental to the fighters' health than the amount of rounds a bout is scheduled. Greed. NSAC, as a now self-funded organization that will be getting a share of the live gate (2% directly), is putting their own bottom line ahead of the safety of a fighter who has no business being allowed to compete in that matchup. They're also putting the boom to the Vegas (and state's) economy that will undoubtably result from this fight over the best interest of a fighter's health.

There are plenty of fights outside of the US, where fighters with 0 fights face high level guys. Pong faced 6 debutants throughout his career, three of them right in a row after he just drew with Naito (granted, it's a different fight culture out there that stresses high activity and quick cash grabs). Azumah Nelson faced a few guys with only one win under their belt while he was champ. If you look for it, you'll find it.

I miss 15 rounds and have always been sour at the fights being brought down to 12. I hated it then and it still gets me now. It just doesn't seem right.

There are plenty of fights outside of the US, where fighters with 0 fights face high level guys. Pong faced 6 debutants throughout his career, three of them right in a row after he just drew with Naito (granted, it's a different fight culture out there that stresses high activity and quick cash grabs). Azumah Nelson faced a few guys with only one win under their belt while he was champ. If you look for it, you'll find it.

We also have to be careful taking the records that boxrec has at face value, Iron, if that is indeed where you're getting that info from. Especially when it comes to the more obscure guys, which will always have a disclaimer on the bottom of their record that says "data may be incomplete/inaccurate'. They often are incomplete.

I can remember a few years ago on here someone asking about Edwin Rosario and why he'd be fighting a guy with such little experience (boxrec had his opponent listed at 1-2 or something like that). I went back into the arhcives and found that that particular opponent of Rosario's actually had a listed record of 14-5, 17-6, or thereabouts. He had plenty of pro experience anyways. I can remember also bringing up the point that the fight took place in New York state, which, for all it's faults, was still one of the top 3 commissions in boxing at the time. Are they going to sanction a fight between Rosario, who was still at championship level, and some guy who really had no pro experience to speak of? No, probably not. For all their faults that's not likely something they'd do. While the opponent of Rosario's certainly wasn't no world beater at 17-6 or whatever it was, and he was brought into the matchup strictly as an opponent, he wasn't the novice pro that boxrec would have him listed as all these years later.

Are there any modern fighters who you think would have benefited significantly from a 15 round fight vs. a 12 rounder?

Froch - made for 15 rounds. We'd have been robbed of the drama of Taylor in the last minute, but a few of the close decisions would have ended wider / in spectacular fashion. Kessler 1 and 2 would have ended in Froch KOs, and Ward would still have won.

So not a big difference in terms of record, but more drama, more Froch.

As a fan of that style, I'd like to see a return to 15 rounds, but also see a lack of depth in that kind of fighter, so 12 is probably the right way to go.

Could be fun to have 15 if both men agreed...

Jose Luis Castillo and perhaps Margarito were two more guys who were made for 15 rounds. It always took Castillo at least 4 rounds to get going and his workrate steadily grew as the fight went on.

I'm for 15 rounds as well. After hundreds and hundreds of rounds of hard sparring, which are pretty much fights with headgear, they think 3 extra rounds is what's killing guys.

Back