15 rounds vs. 12 rounds

I'm gonna jump in here and offer my unpopular views. I believe in the purity if combat, and the desire to see the best man win, preferably not by decision. But, like you, I also dont like them being retarded for life.

I like longer fights, but less of them. Cap a career at 40 fights. Even less.
I like to see fights finish before someone takes life changing injuries. I enjoy the sport, when I'm fit enough I train it. I never want to see someone put in a coma for funsies.

I'm gonna jump in here and offer my unpopular views. I believe in the purity if combat, and the desire to see the best man win, preferably not by decision. But, like you, I also dont like them being retarded for life.

I like longer fights, but less of them. Cap a career at 40 fights. Even less.

You can't put a hard cap on the amount of fights a fighter is allowed to have like that. All fighters are different, and all fighters wouldn't be taking the same amount of punishment in that number of fights either due to things like quality of opponents, their own style, etc. We've seen a lot of guys suffer in the post-career after having less than 40 fights (e.g. seems like Jermain Taylor has lost his mind, and don't think he's had 40 fights...plenty like him), as we've seen a lot of guys retain all their faculties after having much more than 40 pro fights.

You can't put a hard cap on the amount of fights a fighter is allowed to have like that. All fighters are different, and all fighters wouldn't be taking the same amount of punishment in that number of fights either due to things like quality of opponents, their own style, etc. We've seen a lot of guys suffer in the post-career after having less than 40 fights (e.g. seems like Jermain Taylor has lost his mind, and don't think he's had 40 fights...plenty like him), as we've seen a lot of guys retain all their faculties after having much more than 40 pro fights.
I get where you're coming from sharkey but I can think of a lot of fighters who needed to hang them up years before.

I get where you're coming from sharkey but I can think of a lot of fighters who needed to hang them up years before.

Of course. But none of those are particular to the 40 fight limit. Some guys need to be calling it quits after 20 pro fights, whereas others are still going strong after having 60+ pro fights. Do you think a guy like Canelo should have been forced to call it quits after beating Mosley 5 years ago since that was his 40th pro fight? No, of course not.

Of course. But none of those are particular to the 40 fight limit. Some guys need to be calling it quits after 20 pro fights, whereas others are still going strong after having 60+ pro fights. Do you think a guy like Canelo should have been forced to call it quits after beating Mosley 5 years ago since that was his 40th pro fight? No, of course not.
I wasn't including canelo in there. I'm saying some fighters need to stop sooner. Froch managed to do it himself for example. Im not calling anyone on their career but some people stay too long.

I wasn't including canelo in there. I'm saying some fighters need to stop sooner. Froch managed to do it himself for example. Im not calling anyone on their career but some people stay too long.

Of course some fighters should have stopped sooner. I'm confused. Are you agreeing with the other guy and saying that there should be a hard cap for all boxers set at 40 fights or what? That's the point I'm arguing against. Not that some fighters hang around too long because we all know that to be true.

Of course some fighters should have stopped sooner. I'm confused. Are you agreeing with the other guy and saying that there should be a hard cap for all boxers set at 40 fights or what? That's the point I'm arguing against. Not that some fighters hang around too long because we all know that to be true.
I'm not saying there should be a cap. I'm saying some of the older guys need to settle down.

you are right, but, what about a cap on how many KOs? or, at least, a forced leave after a certain number of consecutive KOs?

I like to see fights finish before someone takes life changing injuries. I enjoy the sport, when I'm fit enough I train it. I never want to see someone put in a coma for funsies.
im coming from the mma purist side of the board, sorry. jumping in on boxing. My son is actually just about to take his very first fight, (amateur) so bear that in mind, but its on my mind. I feel like rounds should be short at the beginning, and work up once a fighter has proven his durability (like it is), but, when its for a belt (would be nice if there were far less of them) is it so bad to see the real champ win? just for championship fights. if you lose, you are back to 10 or 12 rounders....

you are right, but, what about a cap on how many KOs? or, at least, a forced leave after a certain number of consecutive KOs?

Or we can just demand stricter testing and enforcement of those test results when it comes to licensing and sanctioning.

im coming from the mma purist side of the board, sorry. jumping in on boxing. My son is actually just about to take his very first fight, (amateur) so bear that in mind, but its on my mind. I feel like rounds should be short at the beginning, and work up once a fighter has proven his durability (like it is), but, when its for a belt (would be nice if there were far less of them) is it so bad to see the real champ win? just for championship fights. if you lose, you are back to 10 or 12 rounders....
They proved that longer than 12 rounds was dangerous. If you want to let your son in there it's your call. But it's dangerous.

They proved that longer than 12 rounds was dangerous. If you want to let your son in there it's your call. But it's dangerous.
well, he is doing 3 rounds at 2 minutes, as he is an amateur minnow...

Rounds are shorter at the amateur level. At least they used to be when I had some amateur fights. Started off at 1:30 in length for each round at the novice level, went up to 2:00 rounds after a few amateur fights, and then eventually 3:00.

Or we can just demand stricter testing and enforcement of those test results when it comes to licensing and sanctioning.
ya, that would do it. But they will always wiggle if there is wiggle room. Conor fucking McGregor got sanctioned as a 0-0 boxer, to fight Mayweather. If the show must go on, human nature will make it so. If there was a concrete rule - figter has been KOd 7 times - it would make the announcers and the public put pressure on the commissions. (It doesnt have to be seven)

When I fought it was 2 minutes.

How old were you, Sun? That might have something to do with it. I had my first amateur fight when I was 12, so maybe age (in addition to being novice) had something to do with the difference.

Rounds are shorter at the amateur level. At least they used to be when I had some amateur fights. Started off at 1:30 in length for each round at the novice level, went up to 2:00 rounds after a few amateur fights, and then eventually 3:00.
ya, he is 2 minutes, and only 3 rounds. that is good.
I dont see the problem in 15 rounds for champs, at least not in the context of how many other nefarious things are going on in fighting.

How old were you, Sun? That might have something to do with it. I had my first amateur fight when I was 12, so maybe age (in addition to being novice) had something to do with the difference.
I'm not sure the first time but I'm 31 now if that helps. We always had shorter rounds.

Back