130% BW Military Press

MeatPlow

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I remember reading a long time ago, I think it may have been Bradley Steiner that started that 130% BW Military Press placed you in elite company. I was 10lbs away last year and just got sick of doing Military Presses. I am thinking about making a run at it later this year. Has anyone managed to do this 130% of BW Military press?

Just so folk won't think I'm blowing smoke. I was close.

That's damn impressive, body weight over heard is considered strong imo, 130% strict is very strong. I bet if you'd pushpress that would have shot up.

That's damn impressive, body weight over heard is considered strong imo, 130% strict is very strong. I bet if you'd pushpress that would have shot up.
yeah push press it would be nothing. I want it strict.

130% is fucking bananas
I think u can do it and should try to do it

Edit: 100% is a bachelors degree 115% is a masters 130% is a phd in military press

Last edited:
I've got to 90%, would love to get to 100%, 130% is not even worth thinking about for me at the moment, but good luck.

I've got to 90%, would love to get to 100%, 130% is not even worth thinking about for me at the moment, but good luck.
Just stick with it. MP is on of the hardest lifts to progress. Slow progression and even just maintaining is important for you to succeed. I don't think enough is said about getting to a level and just maintaining it for a long period of time. Make it to 100% and just park yourself there for a few months without trying to purposefully progress. Allow you body to become accustomed to it and build that gaining momentum and then you gently ease on by.

I'm at about 110%, but I haven't trained press in a while.

It's my favourite lift, I just need to priortitize benching.

130% is pretty far above average, for sure. Definitely strong. I think I had a BW military press once- I haven't been near close since.

My bench is barely above 100% bodyweight. I suck cocks.

I've never focused on the press before, but I just started working toward a BW press. I've pressed more than my current bodyweight, but I was heavier at the time.

130% is diesel.

Let me tell you guys a good story about my Military Pressing. I was in the midst of some heavy pressing back about 8 years ago when I did my all time best of 240lbs. I had to go to Sarasota Fl for some training for my job so I took my lifting belt and my old dirty stained sweat pants that I had cut off. Well, I locate a gym not far from where I was staying. I walked in and there were guys running all over the place that looked like they could be on the cover of mens health with their girlfriends in tow all dressed up in their nice clean workout clothes. I felt out of place immediately as they basically stopped and looked at me in my old wore dirty sweats and belt on my shoulder. I looked around and finally spotted a stair step rack in the main back past all the machines. So, I get set up and I start pressing. I started light and then started creeping up just doing doubles. Once I hit 135lbs I started to notice the majority of them were starting to watch. I continued up to 225lbs and I did it for 12 doubles. That entire gym stood still when i would lift, it was hilarious to me. It would nearly go silent. I was about half way through and an older man come up to me and said that in all the years he had trained he had never seen anyone come in that place and do presses like I did. He told me he the Florida State Highland games masters champion. Can't remember his name. Anyway, it was nice for a briar hopper hill billy to stroll in there and stop that place. It could have only been better if I would have had a cigarette in my mouth while doing it!

it was about a month after I did this video.

Jesus christ that looks very clean. Amazing lift.

Today i actually broke a life time PR of 165 x 3 at a bodyweight of 173. I have yet to do a body weight press but i feel like im basically there.

I could do ~150% body weight before, but I only weighed like 165-170 pounds. I could also bench in the high 300s raw at the time so in relation it was ok. When I first started lifting at 18 I would include tons of seated overhead pressing. Variations of seated overhead pressing were always my strongest movement. It wasn't until I started powerlifting that I did more standing presses.

Nah. I'm just over 100. I'd get pretty close if I dieted down though.

Assuming your press strength didn't suffer from dieting, which it almost surely would.

It might, but I've made concious efforts to lose weight before without it affecting me performance-wise. There's a limit to how much weight I can lose before this stops being true, obviously, but (as an example) I was 8ish kg lighter 6 months ago, and just* as strong/weak then as I am now. Losing that weight again would likely not affect me negatively in any way, since it is just ballast.

*maybe my ohp/military press is 2 or 3 kg more now, but that has more to to with me doing them more regularly recently.

Last edited:
Congrats, that is very impressive.

Im tempted to say most of the people bragging on their numbers here are counting push presses. I can military press my BW for 5 reps (I've been working towards that for a while) and there is literally only one dude in our entire gold's gym with a stronger military press than me (percentage wise). But there are a ton of people who explode into it like a push press and call it military press.

This is way more difficult a movement than people realize. I think most of the 100% BW presses would look more like a push press for most people.

Back