13 Minutes Pumping Iron Might Be Better Than Spending Forever at the Gym

My man Tone C just said he made gains and felt stronger doing an intense ten minutes workout he didn't even need 13 like the scientific article research said

Thanks for the post. It shows just how bad your reading comprehension is.

Never really realised until now but the biggest gains in size and strength I made were when I used to train in my lunch hour. 10 mins to the gym and then back another 10 . Work out 35 to 40 minutes.

Thanks for the post. It shows just how bad your reading comprehension is.
YES!!!!! he finally read it.

At least now you read his reply so what do you think he trains in under 45 minutes and is able to gain size and strength.

My man Tone C just said he made gains and felt stronger doing an intense ten minutes workout he didn't even need 13 like the scientific article research said

No I didn't. Best gains in size and strength over the years have been in working out for 35 to 40 mins. No mucking around, pretty much in, some warm up sets then hit it hard and intense and out. Workouts of like 70- 90 mins didn't cut it for me to get bigger/stronger. Only time I worked out like that was if I was leaning down and doing a fair bit of cardio but back then Tabata or HIIT wasn't really common practice. Plus the ladies at that gym were worth taking your time for...

What I said or meant it took 10 minutes to the gym and 10 minutes to come back and then a 35 to 40 minute workout. That's what my body responded to best . There's lots of different ways to train and folks respond differently to them..

YES!!!!! he finally read it.

At least now you read his reply so what do you think he trains in under 45 minutes and is able to gain size and strength.

Thanks again for another example of your poor reading comprehension.

I'm not the ignorant person saying you can't make gains in short training periods either. People run programs like 5/3/1 which can be short workouts and see good results.

Aren't you the one always obsessed with the old time bodybuilders like Arnold? He's stated some of his routines had 5 sets with 6 lifts. That's 30 sets which was estimated near 2 hours with rest periods. This isn't even something that needs debated. I follow several strength athletes putting in a lot more than 45 minutes - and they are performing at the highest levels.

Same here. Though I found his "you should never, ever be sore" thing a bit too extreme.

I'm done with killing myself at the gym. Got tennis elbow, golf elbow, my knee and shoulder hurting, etc., doing heavy weight and going to failure on most sets. What'd I get for it. A decent, but not great body.

I'm into lower weights and better form now. Only occasionally go balls to the wall.
Finally, someone who speaks english.

I herniated L5 in 2003. Comes back to say hello sometimes. Left knee is all fucjed up now (i reintroduced knee extensions back into my routine), tennis elbow in both arms, golfers in one, and the occasional shoulder tweak from heavy overhead presses. I heal, come back (sometimes after rehab), do good, get hurt again. Usually its when im cutting and doing heavy shit, low volume.

Now, if I do heavy, which i do every other week, its hardly any volume. but i can do it the next day if i want. I still get sore but NO WHERE like i was.

Not getting hurt is a major plus.

No I didn't. Best gains in size and strength over the years have been in working out for 35 to 40 mins. No mucking around, pretty much in, some warm up sets then hit it hard and intense and out. Workouts of like 70- 90 mins didn't cut it for me to get bigger/stronger. Only time I worked out like that was if I was leaning down and doing a fair bit of cardio but back then Tabata or HIIT wasn't really common practice. Plus the ladies at that gym were worth taking your time for...

What I said or meant it took 10 minutes to the gym and 10 minutes to come back and then a 35 to 40 minute workout. That's what my body responded to best . There's lots of different ways to train and folks respond differently to them..

This is the concept that Tidwell fails to grasp. The funny thing is that I prefer around 45 minutes to an hour - so not very long compared to others. I do train more days than many though. A lot of people moving a lot more weight than me are in the gym 90+ minutes. To act as though it's not optimal for them is foolish.

I dont work out at the gym anymore, years ago I got my first gym membership and I got sick, first time I got a flu, then I said ill give it a go again next time I got a cold, and then the third time I got sick again a bad sore throat some dude was coughing while jogging on the treadmill.

The place is a hot bed for bacteria and germs and people sweating huffing and puffing and even training while still under the weather and spreading their germs

I hate when you want to use the bench press and someones smelly sweaty back was on it.

The handles got a lot of bacteria as well

its no wonder most top athletes have their own gym at home or they train at a private facility for athletes.

Sounds like you got bad immune system son, which means you got teh aids.

I workout 4 days a week for 10+ years and rarely get sick

Not trying to chirp, but have you actually followed a work out routine and diet for more than a month?

Sounds like you got bad immune system son, which means you got teh aids.

I workout 4 days a week for 10+ years and rarely get sick
Probably I get sick easy but also a lot of inconsiderate people who cough everywhere and don't cover their nose when sneezing.

Thanks again for another example of your poor reading comprehension.

Aren't you the one always obsessed with the old time bodybuilders like Arnold? He's stated some of his routines had 5 sets with 6 lifts. That's 30 sets which was estimated near 2 hours with rest periods. This isn't even something that needs debated. I follow several strength athletes putting in a lot more than 45 minutes - and they are performing at the highest levels.

The original post I made has nothing to do with bodybuilding and putting on muscle mass...read the article again you got mad at me for the article and brought in bodybuilding and power lifting workouts

The article is written focuses on a study by research scientists for endurance athlete like cyclist.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a23283460/benefits-of-short-strength-training-sessions/

Probably I get sick easy but also a lot of inconsiderate people who cough everywhere and don't cover their nose when sneezing.

The original post I made has nothing to do with bodybuilding and putting on muscle mass...read the article again you got mad at me for the article and brought in bodybuilding and power lifting workouts

The article is written focuses on a study by research scientists for endurance athlete like cyclist.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a23283460/benefits-of-short-strength-training-sessions/
Perhaps you have memory issues too. You brought up bodybuilders before I even posted. Look at the post I quoted.

Since Firas Zhabi got on JRE, ive been implementing what he prescribes. Basically, everyone that works out noticed at some point in the workout, youre energized. Typically, all of us feel it, use it, and leave the gym wrecked causing DOMs for days. He says, leave after youre energized. And come back tomorrow and the next day and the next.

Physically, ive not been hurt doing this (2+ months) and thats a BIG difference. My ass is always tweeking something in the gym rendering me uselessly in pain and stiff for normal lifestyle. Doing his "train like a ferrari, not a mac truck" has enabled me to have workouts without injury. (Maybe louie simmons came up with that quote)

When it comes to strength, getting lean, getting bigger, nah, ive not noticed any improvement but no decreases either.

there are times its ok to redline, but every fucking workout?! Today was my first high volume day and well see how the DOMs goes.

Same here. Though I found his "you should never, ever be sore" thing a bit too extreme.

I'm done with killing myself at the gym. Got tennis elbow, golf elbow, my knee and shoulder hurting, etc., doing heavy weight and going to failure on most sets. What'd I get for it. A decent, but not great body.

I'm into lower weights and better form now. Only occasionally go balls to the wall.

Annnnd GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY?

After a normal, high volume, moderate intensity Lower Push (quad dominate) day, I felt the DOMs like a mofo. So today, I did kettlebells and, BOOM, left side lower back knotted up and now I am out of the gym again. No nerve issues indicating a disc, but I threw my Theracane at my back, found the spot, but as we all know, knots or muscle spasms/pulls arent healed in a day.

Fucking FIRST workout after a normal "go balls to the wall; I love the soreness; redline; leave wrecked," and I get hurt. I was going maybe 3 months without ANY flare up and now this.

Color me convinced.

Annnnd GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY?

After a normal, high volume, moderate intensity Lower Push (quad dominate) day, I felt the DOMs like a mofo. So today, I did kettlebells and, BOOM, left side lower back knotted up and now I am out of the gym again. No nerve issues indicating a disc, but I threw my Theracane at my back, found the spot, but as we all know, knots or muscle spasms/pulls arent healed in a day.

Fucking FIRST workout after a normal "go balls to the wall; I love the soreness; redline; leave wrecked," and I get hurt. I was going maybe 3 months without ANY flare up and now this.

Color me convinced.

Lower intensity is the way to go.

Though I think there is some sort of sweet spot. You should still get your heart rate up, work up a good sweat, make your muscles work, but not cause injury.

Back