12 Angry Men (1957)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by MXZT, Apr 10, 2017.

?

Was he Guilty or Not Guilty?

1. Guilty

2. Not Guilty

3. I don't know

4. Never seen the movie

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dontsnitch

dontsnitch Steel Belt

I always hoped Mamet would take a shot at a remake, but it's too perfect a movie. I think it's better to let this one rest in peace.

2. SidJustice

SidJustice Master of the world and the universe

Coming in 2019: 12 Angry Women. Starring Mellisa Mccarthy, Caitlyn Jenner, Angelina Jolie.

irish_thug likes this.
  3. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

I believe the script floating around is called "Twelve Brave Women."

Te Huna Matata likes this.
  4. JSN

JSN #NotMyNelly

that's racist. Not everyone who gets in a knife fight is hispanic.

Oh and that movie blows goats.

5. Ikuza

Ikuza Purple Belt

Not Guilty via reasonable doubt.

6. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Gold Belt

[​IMG]

He's still busy.

BisexualMMA likes this.
  7. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Recently I've been watching movies that take place entirely, or mostly, in a single location. And one of those movies happened to be 12 Angry Men.

I had never seen it before. I do remember watching the '97 remake with George C. Scott, but I had never seen the original.

It's a good film and just goes to show how much can be accomplished with a single location as long as you have a good script. Henry Fonda does a great job as the lone juror who reverses the tide.

Any thoughts on this film?

8. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Iridescent Algae Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

I think it's one of the greatest films ever made. Saw it when I was a kid, loved it; saw it a year or two ago in a packed arthouse theater, loved it all over again. When you consider it's a movie that came out 60+ years ago, and can still hold a modern audience riveted on the edge of their seats today, that's a pretty goddamn amazing accomplishment.

9. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I feel like it must have been adapted from a play. Do you know if that's true?

It's interesting how absolutely dialogue-driven the movie is. Pretty much from start to finish it's just guys talking and I think you have to have a pretty damn clever script to make a 90 minute conversation compelling. 12 Angry Men pulls if off though.

Did you ever see the remake?

JbModest likes this.
  10. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Iridescent Algae Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

No, but sort of. It was originally written as a teleplay, or TV screenplay, but back in those days teleplays were often written for very limited sets, so it's almost the same thing.

Nah

Guestx likes this.
  11. Kuwabara377

Kuwabara377 Banned Banned

12 angry men (the original) is one of my favorite films, in middle school my social studies teacher showed it to us before we had a mock trial in our class. Everyone in the class didn't want to watch it at first because it was in black and white, but after watching it most of the students really liked it. I personally love this film, as a cynic I am sure it wouldn't be shown to students today, probably deemed as white/man-centric, and even if it is that it still has aged well and has lots to say about modern society.

usmctanker242, MXZT and Peteyandjia like this.
  12. Guestx

Guestx Guest

It's directed by William Friedkin and has a great cast. Might be worth a look.

13. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

12 Angry men sounds like a typical thread viewing.

JohnOates, is normal and chickenluver like this.
  14. Kuwabara377

Kuwabara377 Banned Banned

In the War Room

ALAN PARTRIDGE likes this.
  15. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Only 22 posts in over two years, and of all the threads on all the sub-forums on all of Sherdog, you walk into mine.

Well, welcome!

That's a cool story. I remember back when I was in middle school any time we got to watch a movie instead of do regular class work, I was happy about that. I can see being put off by it being black-and-white, especially when you're like 14, but once the story gets going you get wrapped up in it.

Teppodama and Kuwabara377 like this.
  16. Peteyandjia

It's like tracing a Rembrandt. The idea of it pisses me off.

chickenluver likes this.
  17. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

Just a superb film. Vividly drawn characters. Biting drama. Tense as all hell. It's a real tour-de-force with what you can do with acting.

Through the film, the frames become a lot smaller. The camera moves in on people. The visuals become more claustrophobic so to heighten the tentativeness. It's really subtle too.

I find it interesting that some characters never really get around to Fonda's viewpoint. The sportsguy doesn't care if he lives or dies and just sides with the majority so that he can get out of there (maybe people that don't really care can't be changed?). And then there is the logical guy -- who becomes sort-of the main-antagonist but you always understand his reasonings and he always aknowlages when Fonda makes good points. A really great dynamic with that guy.

Fonda himself is just amazing. I don't think there was anyone who portrayed just pure humanism on film like him.

18. Guestx

Guestx Guest

That does not really surprise me.

19. TrueBias

TrueBias Red Belt

Take it from an actor, it's a movie best played as a play.

That said, I fucking LOVE it. Ive done Juror #3s monologue 3x now.

When it comes to the films, its hard to decipher. A LOT of people say the first is better than Showtimes, but id blame it on the the times. The story is old and the script is written for the times. It's no accident the old guys in the remake are stellar. That said i PREFER, the remake, merely cuz of of known older actors knocking this out of the park. Tony Danza, Gandolfini, tho they do food, theyre forgettable.

The original is great all the way through, but for me, hah, i think it 'cheats. '

My favorite court drama is and always has been Inherit the Wind. Great movie too.

cabear likes this.
  20. Peteyandjia

What the fuck's that supposed to mean? HUH?!?

[​IMG]

MusterX and Guestx like this.